Anything MG34 related.
Cliffside
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG42 Bolt locking

Post by Cliffside »

Hello All,
new to the site. Have just purchased MG42 and have problem with the bolt. I have read all I can from here about the problem and when it locks I am able to release it by taking off the flash hider and pushing the barrel inwards which I can do by hand, not having to bang it on the floor.
My first question, is it normal that I cant push the rollers in by hand with the bolt out. They are really stiff, so I took out the bolt catch which of course makes them really loose. But when I put the bolt into battery it locks up again even with the bolt catch out, so I am not sure where to look next.
Barrel is original German I believe, has "dfb" marking, appears used but not excessively so.
Any ideas out there?
Thanks
Richard
Cliffside
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Re: MG42 Bolt locking

Post by Cliffside »

Sorry, this should be in MG42 general
Richard
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

There are curved cam surfaces on the cam piece that stick inside the bolt path. When the bolt is pulled rearward, the cams push in the rollers and allow the bolt to release from the barrel extension. If the bolt won't unlock (pull back) easily even with the bolt catch inside the bolt extension, it's either that or the bolt roller grooves inside the barrel extension have a problem (chipped, pieces missing).

How about close up pictures of your bolt head, cocking handle, and the barrel extension. Use a small mirror to look at the cams inside the cam piece (which some people incorrectly call a trunnion).
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Cliffside
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by Cliffside »

Thanks very much for replying. Will post pictures when I get home in two days.
Cliffside
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by Cliffside »

John,
have emailed you pictures from my Ipad, couldn't work it through computer. Story so far,
Bought the MG with bolt out. Put it in, wouldn't come out. Looking through ejector port, cocking slide appeared to be in the right place on the bolt lug, but bolt wouldn't budge. From the website info, removed the recoil booster and was able to get the bolt out easily with gun pointed down touching the floor and pushing against the spring.
Initially I couldn't push the rollers in by hand so couldn't get the bolt back into the receiver, so decided to take the bolt catch out thinking that might be faulty. Got the bolt in without the bolt catch, but the bolt still remained locked and could not be pulled back with the cocking slide.
I now have four of your books that just arrived MG3 operator,MG42 repair,and MG3 repair plus an MG34 book and now know that bolt and barrel are pulled back together to release the rollers so I am now thinking the barrel doesnt want to move.
Pictures I sent you have both sides of barrel extension, two angles of cocking slide which looks pretty straight to me bolt head from different angles. One picture of the visible cam piece. Havent got a small mirror yet for the other one, but appears to be good from what I can see. Thanks for your time

Richard
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

In your pictures, you have the cocking handle pulled rearward. You aren't putting the cocking handle into the gun with the handle rearward, are you? The handle should be forward when you put it in the gun. It is designed so that when you initially pull it back with the bolt forward, it gives you extra leverage to get the bolt to unlock.

With the symptoms you're describing, and yet the gun unlocks by pushing on the muzzle with the flash suppressor/muzzle booster off, I'm thinking operator error rather than something wrong with the gun.

Cliffside's pictures are below.
Attachments
IMG_2139.JPG
IMG_2138.JPG
IMG_2136.JPG
IMG_2140.JPG

Cliffside
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by Cliffside »

The handle when inserted in the gun is forward, pulling back on the handle the little hook unlocks and the lever comes back a bit and sits out to the side. I pulled as hard as I dared, the barrel and bolt came back about half an inch but wouldn't unlock.I pulled pretty hard and that was with someone holding it. I couldn't move the bolt at all with it on the bipod and alone.

Will email pictures of it forward and in the unlocked position prior to pulling it back to cock it
thanks
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Does it behave the same with the grip off?