Optics for the Lafette

Looking for something? Ask here.
rodom
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant
Anti-spam: Mg42

Optics for the Lafette

Post by rodom »

I was curious as to if there was a source available for some type of optics for the Lafette mounts. It just doesn't look complete without something there. I found a website in Germany that carries them, but after I contacted them they explained that they weren't allowed to export anything of that nature. Anybody know of a state side source?
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Optics for the Lafette

Post by JBaum »

Watch ebay, go to gunshows. They used to be easy to find. Not so much anymore.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
rodom
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by rodom »

Thanks John. I'll try that. If anyone has one for sale please let me know.
mightymouse
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by mightymouse »

www.amasupply.co.uk has some for sale
rodom
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by rodom »

Wow! That price puts the optics way out of my reach. Thanks very much for the lead, good looking website.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

That website price is actually very realistic in today's market.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

If you want original German WWII expect to pay.

However, if you are like me and just want something to fill the Yugo tripod dovetail mount, look for a Yugo ZRAK ON-M59 rocket launcher scope. It will fit the Yugo lafettes dovetail, though the retical will be sideways. I painted mine grey after painting my Yugo mount in camo, just for looks. Not correct at all, but works for me. Just depends on what you want.

Apex had them in stock for like $59, but are now sold out. They can be found elsewhere including ebay for a little more. This is what I used:
http://www.apexgunparts.com/zrak-on-m59 ... -good.html
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

$23+shipping on Ebay will ship to US it says http://www.ebay.com/itm/YU-jugoslawisch ... Swn1RXI3pm

I have several, but I paid a lot more and am not parting with anywhere near that price.
FNG
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by messerschmittfan »

I purchased a couple of the Yugo scopes for the MG42 tripod when I was stationed in Germany a few years ago. They cost a bit more than what is being sold on eBay.de right now. However the optics on mine did not have the cross hair sideways as the anti-tank sight does when mounted on the MG34/42 tripod. The big problem I had with them is that they were a VERY loose fit even on the Yugo copy of the MG42 tripod. Anyone else have this problem? My scopes look very similar to those on the eBay.de offering. Thanks Harry
rodom
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by rodom »

Thanks so much to the membership for the leads. As DerAlder said, I just want something to fill the void. I'm going to try ordering one from EBay.
rodom
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by rodom »

Well I moved too slowly and the sights that were listed are now gone. If any body runs across a new listing for them please let me know.
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

rodom wrote:Well I moved too slowly and the sights that were listed are now gone. If any body runs across a new listing for them please let me know.
I just ordered another from here:
https://colemans.com/shop/militaria/mis ... ar-on-m59/

Better price than the last one I got. I picked up a Yugo helmet too to add to my helmet collection as they have good prices on them to. I've ordered from Coleman's before BTW and they are good to deal with in my experience.
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

messerschmittfan wrote:I purchased a couple of the Yugo scopes for the MG42 tripod when I was stationed in Germany a few years ago. They cost a bit more than what is being sold on eBay.de right now. However the optics on mine did not have the cross hair sideways as the anti-tank sight does when mounted on the MG34/42 tripod. The big problem I had with them is that they were a VERY loose fit even on the Yugo copy of the MG42 tripod. Anyone else have this problem? My scopes look very similar to those on the eBay.de offering. Thanks Harry
I was able to tighten mine down ok, but if loose being it is a dovetail mount with thumb screws, what I would do is add a shim. I'm betting a if you cut a soda can with sissors and folded an appropriate sized shim you would be GTG.
rodom
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by rodom »

Hi DerAlder. Thanks so much for the posting. I was able to get a sight ordered so I can "fill the hole" on my Lafette. I'm going to be cleaning my tripod up and painting the chassis to match the MG3 clone my M53 has slowly evolved into. Any ideas, suggestions? What colors are appropriate? I was leaning toward a dark grey, but then CAMO has an appeal too.
rodom
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by rodom »

I received the optics from the website DerAlder recommended, and I have to say it's a pretty cool looking sight. It came with a really nice leather case, and both items were in very good condition. For any of you members out there that want something to complete your Lafette, and can't fork over $1700 it's a great compromise. It really looks like it belongs on the Lafette.