MG-3 kits ---What do you think ?

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
waffendude
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

MG-3 kits ---What do you think ?

Post by waffendude »

Looks like Royal tiger --has some Mg-3 kits --a smashed receiver---missing the bolt head ?---here's the link

http://www.royaltigerimports.com/produc ... 001-pk.htm
What do you guys like about this deal ?--- :?
Abominog
Major
Major

Re: MG-3 kits ---What do you think ?

Post by Abominog »

Looks like it's also missing the trunion and internals of the recuperator, as well as the bolt head.

All the same, I ordered one, so we'll see!

Thanks for the heads-up.
FNG
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by anjongni »

MG43001-PK-2T.jpg
MG43001-PK-2T.jpg (52.19 KiB) Viewed 9686 times
MG43001-PK-2T.jpg
MG43001-PK-2T.jpg (52.19 KiB) Viewed 9686 times
It's a great-looking kit!.........Phil
Attachments
MG43001-PK-3T.jpg
MG43001-PK-3T.jpg (76.37 KiB) Viewed 9686 times
waffendude
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by waffendude »

I'm interested in how they "crushed the rece"----please let us know what the kit looks like when you receive it----- it also come with a heavy bolt carrier ? ?----will a standard m53/mg42 bolt head work on this carrier ?
waffen
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

There's one on GB that must have come from this importation. The receiver is smashed far worse than the one shown on RTI's website. However, it did include the trunion.
FNG
waffendude
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by waffendude »

Wow --- thanks for the heads up GB--- it looks like they did a number on the receiver---do you guys think the rece could be bent back into spec ?---and like you said ---it looks like the trunion is there and the recouperator is complete.---I'm still on the fence.
waffen
1919WILD
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by 1919WILD »

I picked one up from RTI, its alright the receiver is repairable if you are up for a challenge. it included everything plus belts and an ammo can! The bolt head is missing as stated and it seems that my m53 bolt head fit just fine. The bolt body was cut!? then welded but it was done well on my kit. the kit doesn't look like it was used much. Its was worth to me.

Cheers
-Miles
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

In Germany, the bolt head is a prohibited item, as are shootable barrels. You could have as many undamaged receivers as you want, but a barrel without 5 holes drilled in it the size of the bore, or a bolt head without the face being cut off at a 45 degree angle, and you're in trouble without the proper permits.

MG34.com had a bunch of MG42 and MG3 bolts at Knob Creek. I expect they still have most of them.

The heavy bolt is best used with the buffer that's made for it. Nobody has said whether the buffers were for heavy bolts or not. ???
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

I may get one...if the price comes down to its sum of usable parts. A crunched shroud and missing the MG3 bolt head is a non-starter for me.....those are the two main items I'd want in an MG3 build, the shroud is not usable and the MG3 bolt head is missing.

If the price drops to $299 I'll consider it for the MG3 parts - buttstock, buffer, recup, grip panels, top cover, FT, door, sights, AA sites and mounts,camming peices , grip, hanger,bipod, bushing bearing and FH'er....cause thats all you are getting.

As a "kit" it is unbuildable IMO. Grab an Apex M-53 kit first. But if you want to make a MG3 hybrid, many of the parts are there (I have barrels).

Its just not a buildable kit as it is IMO so like I said it is worth it some of usable parts, parts that can be found at RTG as well.
Waffentag
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by Waffentag »

Is the bolt body safe to use with the described repair? Is it a heavier version?

Pat
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

IMO its best to just swap out the whole bolt/carrier of the same type. If you plan on using an 8mm type (which works fine in .308), I'd use the 8mm type locking wedge and 8mm type carrier.

I have not tried a MG3 type bolt carrier with a 8mm type bolt head. But I do know the locking wedges differ (their actual name escapes me right now - maybe our friend John can help out out on the term? :) Is it called a striker perhaps?

I have a both 8mm type (M53) and 7.62 type (MG3) wedges and the rear "tail area" of the locking wedge are different diameters, with the MG3 type being much thicker in dia., so the wedges differ as well.

On the bolt heads their difference are mainly they use a different extractor spring and keeper/plunger ...the 8mm type plunger/keeper is square, the MG3 type round. The extractor springs differ as well, though the extractors themselves are the same and can be switched between types.

I do not have an MG3 carrier to tell if they interchange though, maybe someone else might. But really I see no advantage of combine the type and I would simply use the 8mm type if the that is the bolt head you have long with it wedge and carrier.

Keep us posted on how you make out because I'd like to know the answer to this questions as well. Hope this helps you out some.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

The Germans call it a firing pin holder. :)
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

jbaum wrote:The Germans call it a firing pin holder. :)
...and thats what I will refer to it from here on out to avoid confusion :lol: I hate when everyone calls a part something different, yet was stumped myself when I posted that.

So the firing pin holders in 8mm differ in diameter compared to the MG3 firing pin holders, so there is that issue when swapping out bolt carriers and mixing bolt heads. :D.

Again, it may work, I just have not tried it. I'm with the belief of sticking to similar sub assemblies.
shooter42
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by shooter42 »

Someone on the weaponsguilds forum got some detailed photos of their kit from RTI with some purchased extras. An APEX kit is definitely better IMO, even with buying the components from RTG for 308 if you starting from zero. Still it's not totally bad if you only need components minus the receiver and possibly the bolt which looks a little sketchy as a reweld/repair. It should be a several pages back in their deals and steal section dated in June of this year.
blackreichswehr
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by blackreichswehr »

WAFFENDUDE, you ask how they crush them-- they back over them with a King Tiger tank, everybody knows that.
waffendude
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by waffendude »

Hey blackreichswehr---your right I should have known that :? ---its sad though--its almost like they DOUBLE destroy them---crushed in Europe and torched in the U.S.---I went ahead and bought a kit --- i'll keep everyone posted on the quality and the ability to rebuild into a semi auto---as stated above --it's going to be a challenge. but I think I'm up for it--
Waffen
waffendude
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by waffendude »

Hey guys --- I'm sorry that I have not posted any info on this---I did buy a mg3 kit ---from RT and as stated the receiver was the biggest problem---it was smashed pretty good---I ordered the 350.00 kit and received the "extras"---1 barrel carrier,ammo can and 5 belts--no barrel--no bolt head.
First----- I started to try to press the receiver back to spec---the shrould area was the worst ---right under the rear sight---using a bunch of steel blocks/jigs and removing the rear sight base/barrel stop(which is destroyed) and tripod lug--I was able to get it pretty close to spec--- the new barrel stop fits good and it looks like the barrel will fit fine.--Then I pressed the grip area to spec---this was difficult because of the ratchetplate/charging handle area---but I got it --- the chg handle fits good and slides freely--- that was pretty much it ---the rear section was not crushed nor was the barrel bearing area.. after some hours I now have a torch cut mg3 receiver-6 pieces. :D
Now I need to get a barrel and bolt head---
the sad news is the RT is now out of stk---but for those that bought them --- I looks to me that with a lot of work and some force ( I have a 20 ton press) --this can be pressed back to operational spec.
I will be a little time before I build this---and as I do --i'll try to post some picts.
Thanks guys and good luck
Waffen 8)
claborn1
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by claborn1 »

I did the same thing with my kit I got from them. It cut it up more and bent the pieces back. The barrel shroud did take some work. Ill post pics of mine up later.
hakentt
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by hakentt »

This guy has built one from this kit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu3kx2HMZd0
waffendude
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by waffendude »

Hey everyone ~for those of you who bought one of these that came without the bolt head~centerfire has a bunch of m53 parts in stock including 2 different types of bolt heads with ejector so if you need one now's the chance
Waffen