Reweld of a 4 cut receiver.

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
ntrestdonlkr
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Reweld of a 4 cut receiver.

Post by ntrestdonlkr »

It's been awhile since I've had the time to revisit the idea of embarking on a SA 42 build, and I'm ready to start. Before I do, I would like to ask anyone here with experience what's first after completing the mods for SA parts intro? I've assembled the welding jig , and have a 4 cut reciever, that appears to be all from the same gun. I spoke to Brian at brp corp, and he suggested starting the build from the front to the back. The questions are what dimensions are key? I realize the relationship of the barrel, bearing, and trunion, but how do you go about starting this? I would think the receiver would be welded first at the trunion area, with the trunion re installed and secured. The grip stick area of the receiver still has most of the original rails installed. Are there any ideas out there on using them as a guide for alignment and building a jig to tie everything together for welding ? Brp also suggested using the MG 42 receiver repair tool, which doesn't seem to be available anymore . I'm excited to finally start this and I want to do it right to hopefully enjoy the effort later. Any help would be appreciated... Thanks
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Reweld of a 4 cut receiver.

Post by 42rocker »

I had started getting some of the better build threads into a stickie but things happened and what I started is now floating around someplace. If you can find it there are some good links to great build threads in it. Also use the search button and look around. Also there are several overall length jigs that are simple listed in the threads here.
Myself I would lay everything out on a long jig and go for the over all dimension first then using one of the threads that has the listed dimensions keep working till it all looks right. Next is to string it checking that it's straight and not twisted and then to tack weld a few spots and the double check everything and then slowly finish the welds. Note make sure that you do the mods for semi before you tack weld anything together. Lots of good build threads on this site again use the search button.

Good Luck

Later 42rocker
ntrestdonlkr
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by ntrestdonlkr »

Thanks 42 rocker , I'll search it out.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Just found this

http://mg42.us/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12687

Later 42rocker
ntrestdonlkr
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by ntrestdonlkr »

Is pirate aka c-2 builder of project guns??
ntrestdonlkr
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by ntrestdonlkr »

Where can u see pirates build photos ? They're not on the thread ..
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Many pics were lost from two things. The site was hacked and then a software upgrade took out a few more. Then of course over the years the folks that used other sites to host their pics changed dropped or whatever caused more pics to be lost. I'll try to remember if I can get you wither some or a way to a thread that has pirates pics.
Pirate == Project Guns

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Try this

http://mg42.us/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=591

then click on the

Pirates Build.docx

and download or whatever the pics are in that docx file.

That was one of the threads that started me off.

Later 42rocker
ntrestdonlkr
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by ntrestdonlkr »

Many thanks sir!! I bought kits over ten years ago and the chatter here was booming . Now either there's no interest or all kits have been built . Thanks again for your time .
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

It's several things. But there is still good material here and several Good Folks are still around to help out.

Later 42rocker
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Indeed this site was pretty busy in those days, henceforth the kits have dried up, at least with barrels (thanks to the dingbats in Washington DC, BOTH parties with the 2005 import barrel ban), and with importers mostly choosing to have the receiver rears be left behind in the trade zone facilities on most the yugo M53 kits that are still trickling in, the last man standing is Brian at BRP, a true gentlemen.

My advice, first, you obviously know to do the semi mods before even tack-welding; secondly, I cleaned the slag from my rails and checked the bolt's travel on the rear pieces, it was not uncommon for these pieces to cave a wee bit in on the sides. These receivers were torched, dropped, either bagged or wired together, and piled on pallets, sometimes there were squeezed some, no biggie to expand and fairly easy when still in pieces. Then of course those rail sections get removed anyway, also warping is not hard to do unless you are pretty good at tigging, hopefully you are adroit, if not, there is no shame there just get some MG3 scraps from RTG gun parts and practice, you will be glad you did.

Keep us in the loop, and congrats on finally breaking ground, and unless you are a real wizard and can do your own, I cannot endorse Brian's (BRP's) semi gripstick and semi-bolt set up enough.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
ntrestdonlkr
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by ntrestdonlkr »

Prussia.us,
Thanks for the advice!
robertmcw

Post by robertmcw »

Here is a writeup about the blocker for a SEMI MG42.
I used the blocker just like the fourth down photo here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=11774

If you have any questions, ask.

Robert
WhitePatriot77
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by WhitePatriot77 »

Sorry posted twice.
Last edited by WhitePatriot77 on Mon May 11, 2015 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
WhitePatriot77
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by WhitePatriot77 »

I never reuse the cut rails,take them out and get a new set.I made a nice jig out of 2"×1/4" copper plate.I cut them to fit against the sides like rails for when I have to do some fill welding.get another set of rails(originals with holes are preferred for this operatopn)locate the first rail hole on the receiver with the rail and drill the copper plate right through the rail holes.Use brass hardware and copper or brass washers turned down if need be to fit the dimples.once those are in place set the peices on your long strut and all thread jig.That should be enough.use a line to keep checking straight.Move section to section filling little by little this gives it time to cool down and keep shrinkage and warping to a minimum.I went a step further with a buffer i took apart and drilled out I put it in the rear of the receiver,then I put a bearing in the front with a long alignment rod through the whole thing to check it to stay true while working,but you have to mark and cut the all thread on the long jig so that it doesnt stick up in the path of the alignment rod.Any questions ask.Some guys around here already have jigs laying around they will loan/sell.
Schwartzer
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by Schwartzer »

any head way?