Looking for demilitarized MG42

Anything MG42 related.
roadrunner
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Looking for demilitarized MG42

Post by roadrunner »

John, really happy you got this together. Looks great. Good luck at the range. Think about leaving every other link empty
For your first try and check for trigger reset. It can avoid an uncomfortable moment.
Congratulations on seeing this through. :D Wally
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

Thanks Wally! I'm mighty glad to have it all done. Culmination of about 18 months effort. Fingers are crossed on the test shoot. I have to give Jared (Oakrodent) a LOT of credit for doing the "innards". He test fired it and all went well but then had to make it a "dummy" and send it to me to do the work to fix it up for semi-auto. I think the Duracoat black worked out nicely. I expect the test shoot will go okay.
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

usmc8488 wrote:looks good, don't get frustrated if it requires tweaking.... it's all part of the journey

Good luck
Thanks. It has been quiet a learning experience! :cross:
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

Glad it came together John. Looks nice. I know its a long road, but its worth it in the end. Don't be surprised if there are a few hickups, thats almost normal on these semis at first with varying ammo and belts etc.

Like RR said leave some empty links. And should you try a full belt and anything happens like a stuck FP, just remember to twist the belt as a quick way to stop it. That and stop and check your first few cases. Dented mouths are normal, but bulges and blown primers should be something to watch out for. That and check the welded seams repeatedly.

Good luck.
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

Der Alder wrote:Glad it came together John. Looks nice. I know its a long road, but its worth it in the end. Don't be surprised if there are a few hickups, thats almost normal on these semis at first with varying ammo and belts etc.

Like RR said leave some empty links. And should you try a full belt and anything happens like a stuck FP, just remember to twist the belt as a quick way to stop it. That and stop and check your first few cases. Dented mouths are normal, but bulges and blown primers should be something to watch out for. That and check the welded seams repeatedly.

Good luck.
I very much appreciate the input and will keep all that in mind when I finally get to shoot it. Soon I hope!
usmc8488
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by usmc8488 »

This sums it up..... for me.... addiction..

http://allhunt.com/the-bane-of-my-existence-the-mg42/
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

usmc8488 wrote:This sums it up..... for me.... addiction..

http://allhunt.com/the-bane-of-my-existence-the-mg42/
Thanks for sending that. I had talked to Glenn when I first got my parts kit, about 18 months ago, and he said he just didn't have the time, etc. NOW I understand! LOL :)
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

When a project like this finally comes together and passes the function test it is almost euphoric, if it fails, it makes one crestfallen until your brain reasons what the next issue may be to rectify, nonetheless it is a great accomplishment when completed.

Nice work.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

www.Prussia.us wrote:When a project like this finally comes together and passes the function test it is almost euphoric, if it fails, it makes one crestfallen until your brain reasons what the next issue may be to rectify, nonetheless it is a great accomplishment when completed.

Nice work.
Thanks! Needless to say I'm VERY happy with the gun (so far) and that the work is completed (I hope). :cross: :D
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

www.Prussia.us wrote:When a project like this finally comes together and passes the function test it is almost euphoric, if it fails, it makes one crestfallen until your brain reasons what the next issue may be to rectify, nonetheless it is a great accomplishment when completed.

Nice work.
It's as close as man can come to giving birth when it roars to life :lol:

Reminds me of when I was 18 and re-built my first car engine and started it for the first time...a build like this is on the same level IMO 8) .
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Der Alder wrote:
It's as close as man can come to giving birth when it roars to life :lol:

Reminds me of when I was 18 and re-built my first car engine and started it for the first time...a build like this is on the same level IMO 8) .
Der Alder that is sooooooooooooooo true and probably the best description I have read.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

I'll have a grin from ear to ear I'm sure!!!!! :cross:
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

If all goes well YOU WILL!!

Enjoy

Later 42rocker
gbyenko
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by gbyenko »

42rocker wrote:If all goes well YOU WILL!!

Enjoy

Later 42rocker
I hope al l went well, been fallowing this build the last few day's . Just got signed in (thanks) I've been out to the woods 3 times today :puk: I think I finally have this gun running right we will find out tomorrow :::the only way I could have done it was reading everything on this site .I thank you all and will give Pic'S and up date in a new post
:wnana:
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

gbyenko wrote:
42rocker wrote:If all goes well YOU WILL!!

Enjoy

Later 42rocker
I hope al l went well, been fallowing this build the last few day's . Just got signed in (thanks) I've been out to the woods 3 times today :puk: I think I finally have this gun running right we will find out tomorrow :::the only way I could have done it was reading everything on this site .I thank you all and will give Pic'S and up date in a new post
:wnana:
I haven't made it to the range YET. I plan to go tomorrow (Wednesday). Fingers crossed.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Good Luck

Later 42rocker
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

42rocker wrote:Good Luck

Later 42rocker

Thanks. :cross:
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

Went to the range today but was unable to fire it. I don't think I was setting up the transport lever properly but instead of fooling with it and doing something STUPID I'm going to get some dummy rounds and do some dry runs plus consult with Oakrodent about it. Can someone point me in the right direction to find dummy 7.92? They don't come up on ebay or Amazon. If any of you have helpful input I would appreciate it. :?
usmc8488
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by usmc8488 »

johnb593 wrote:Went to the range today but was unable to fire it. I don't think I was setting up the transport lever properly but instead of fooling with it and doing something STUPID I'm going to get some dummy rounds and do some dry runs plus consult with Oakrodent about it. Can someone point me in the right direction to find dummy 7.92? They don't come up on ebay or Amazon. If any of you have helpful input I would appreciate it. :?
They are on ebay and gunbroker but at 10 to $15 each, just make some up yourself or fine someone who reloads that will..
\\
D
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

usmc8488 wrote:
johnb593 wrote:Went to the range today but was unable to fire it. I don't think I was setting up the transport lever properly but instead of fooling with it and doing something STUPID I'm going to get some dummy rounds and do some dry runs plus consult with Oakrodent about it. Can someone point me in the right direction to find dummy 7.92? They don't come up on ebay or Amazon. If any of you have helpful input I would appreciate it. :?
They are on ebay and gunbroker but at 10 to $15 each, just make some up yourself or fine someone who reloads that will..
\\
D
$10-$15 EACH! Are they made from gold? If anyone here has some empty 7.92's I'd be happy to fork out a few bucks for a few.