air cooled mg15

42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: air cooled mg15

Post by 42rocker »

From everything that I've been told -- the barrels that apex had were barrels that wiselite removed in/for their contract with century. Century/wiselite had a group of barrels made by greenmountain (so I've been told). Wiselite removed barrels from the extensions in the parts kits that they were rebuilding and apex sold them. Prices started at $50 (barrel only) and went up to $145 as the supply ran down. There wee a few groups of barrels that showed up here and there that were just that extra barrels groups that were brought in before the barrel ban.

Rule -- seems to be get the barrels first then the parts kits. Barrels are the key right now. Will it stay this way I don't think so. But it's still going to be a problem for a few years yet. Normally the barrel makers will not take an order below 100 barrels. Right now it's worse.

Later 42rocker
scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by scamg34 »

From what I have heard he is always having problems. he loves taking in the money but doesn't deliver the product,I would never conduct business that way.I think Codys a bunch gorneyls demilled as they are dirt cheap and has them ready for his customers,I have heard all kinds of stuff regarding Orins 80 percent rec for mg15,some say they are overpriced paperweights and nobody will finish the machining ,others like Gordie who know their (Try a different word.) say he has seen some turned into post may samples. From what I see they can providing they are machined right,the front of the rec would have to be made smaller in circumference so full auto carrier cant fit,then the rest of the mods would regard bolt mods and a new trigger group.Give Gordie some time hes a great guy and knows what he is doing. I should ask Cody if he could make a 80 percent,but don't know if he is set up for that kind of thing.We'll just hang tight and see what Gordie comes up with.I am waiting for my buddy Marty to get his 07 sot ,maybe int fall when I find out whats involved I am going to try to get one,but I live In New York and our crackhead governor has passed all kinds of crazy laws,so I want to see what are the requirements from a federal end then see whats involved as far as this welfare and illegal immigrant state.I have had a class 3 C anrd R for 23 years now ,so should be no problem as far as ATF, but state requirements that's another thing
scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by scamg34 »

Hey Rocker I got one of the barrels towards the end when Apex was running out,I think it was around 160.My first thought when I saw the bore was to take it to the scrap yard,it was by far the worst barrel I ever bought,it looked more like the inside of an 80 year old iron sewer pipe,I will never buy a barrel from them in the future of any kind.I heard the same thing that green mountain had made them too a few years ago,from what centerjunk told me they bought a lot of them from someone going out of business and they were dirt cheap,every once in a while I saw one of them on Gb ,but cutthroats like Antares arms were selling them for crazy prices as they do with everything else.I don't think they were blued either.I have my eyes on a trommelhalter for my mg34,its around 1150 for an original,of course it has the chiseled out waffenauts but Ill just whiz them off , mig weld the indents,then clean it up and have it reblued,I could care less about the Nazi proofs,whats good I have to buy the saddle drums for the mg15s so I have them for the 34 also.Ihave some extra bolts and barrel ext{carrier] ordered with my pick up sunday, so gordie can have them to mod for the semis
scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by scamg34 »

Rocker you are totally correct before I consider buying any kit,I check on price and availability on barrels.The people with the recently imported Russian stuff have a hard way to go,best thing about the 15s they were all brought in with barrels before they were banned. I always liked the dp28, but the barrel situation has got me really leary about anything Russian.Who would tink barrel availability would effect what we want to purchase,but like you I feel it is the most signicant thing and the barrel makers in this country are asleep at the wheel.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Also on the loader there is someone making the loader at this time. I have the company card someplace. Seen the loader setup up twice at Knob Creek. Can't remember a lot about it other than they are making it. Sorry about that.
With all of the parts that I've handled everyone asks me about barrels for sale and I always say no, I'm buying.

Later 42rocker
scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by scamg34 »

I got the loader the tee handled one for 50 bucks from RES Manufacturing on Gb,he said he made a run of 25 of the larger loader a few years ago and was selling them for 200 each and it took him 6 years to sell them all and made only 40 bucks a piece and it wasn't worth his while,thats one thing you cant touch original price is beyond insane and for what a drum loader ,Ill be glad with a repro that works. I see a repro now but I am dead broke trying to raise the money for the stuff I have to pick up over this weekend. I know what you mean about the barrels,I got a couple m53s on Gb great ones for under 150 and even though I could double it I wont sell them.
scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by scamg34 »

mgs4me wrote:That's great news, I'm excited to get one. :wnana: Sounds like you have a nice collection of MG15s, and I am guessing a MG42/53 kit. I have a few other kits, but decided to focus on the 15 until I get all the parts needed, then start on another kit, easier for me that way financially. Not to mention the MG15 is really a nice historical gun IMO.

Let me know when your ready, and again thanks.

Ron.
I picked up the mag well this morning and a spare for myself. email me at arzoomanian @aol.com and Ill send you the mailing address.
mgs4me
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Post by mgs4me »

scamg34 wrote:
mgs4me wrote:That's great news, I'm excited to get one. :wnana: Sounds like you have a nice collection of MG15s, and I am guessing a MG42/53 kit. I have a few other kits, but decided to focus on the 15 until I get all the parts needed, then start on another kit, easier for me that way financially. Not to mention the MG15 is really a nice historical gun IMO.

Let me know when your ready, and again thanks.

Ron.
I picked up the mag well this morning and a spare for myself. email me at arzoomanian @aol.com and Ill send you the mailing address.
E-mail sent.
Ron
scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by scamg34 »

Hi Ron Got it Hope you like the pics of the first 2 aircooled and the Met 944,all match # ,The met 944 Germany only made 500 of them for export to Portugal.The imperial war museum has one on display,by far my favorite,at the time when I bought the kit I didn't have the money for the transit chest or the barrel carriers which was 20 years ago now this kit is around 9000.
scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by scamg34 »

Going for water cooled kit #2 tonight and some other goodies
michaelangelo
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Post by michaelangelo »

New stuff in collection.

Michaelangelo25
Attachments
MG15 on AA tripod
MG15 on AA tripod
scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by scamg34 »

That looks fantastic a really nice collection. Very impressive, there is nothing like the german mgs, once you get a 34 and 42 you just have to get a 15,I guess it happens to all of us.One of these days I learn how to post pics on here,its great to see ones other then my own,
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

michaelangelo
What a nice tease of a picture. I hope that you will share more pics with us of that great looking collection.

Later 42rocker
mgs4me
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Post by mgs4me »

Hey michaelangelo,

Very nice, is it semi auto? Looks like a nice little collection you got going on there.
Thanks for sharing the pix. just need some more to look at.
scamg34
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by scamg34 »

I just got stuck with an aircooled shroud with the barrel jacket collar torched, the part of the shroud the receiver screws into,has anyone tried or had this piece reproed?
pitfighter
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by pitfighter »

michaelangelo wrote:New stuff in collection.

Michaelangelo25
Hi Micahelangelo,

Is your "ground mount" aluminum support (running beneath barrel shroud) from IMA-USA or original - ?
I am looking for this part, I have read negative comments about the fit and finish of the IMA replicas.
I found an original in the EU, but is was expensive.