Looking for demilitarized MG42

Anything MG42 related.
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann
Anti-spam: Mg42

Looking for demilitarized MG42

Post by johnb593 »

I'm a newbie here and would like to say hello to everyone. I collect WW II militaria, US, British and German mostly. I'm hoping to find a demilled MG42/53 to add to my collection. I have found some in the UK but I find that they cannot be imported to the US. Can any of you guys point me in the right direction on this? I've checked several US sellers such as IMA but without any success. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated!
John
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Looking for demilitarized MG42

Post by 42rocker »

John
Welcome to the site. You might have to make one yourself out of parts. IMA is one of the folks that I would look at and also gunbroker.

Good Luck

Later 42rocker
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

Thanks 42rocker. I suppose if push comes to shove then that's what I'll have to do. THAT would be a learning experience as I have practically NO gunsmith experience. 8)
John
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Define demilitarized. Dummy gun? What is it exactly that you're looking for?
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

I'm looking for a formerly workable gun. I'm not interested in airsoft, etc.

John
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

all gun kits were formerly workable. It's what you want it to be NOW that matters.

What is it that you want it to do? Shoot? Full auto? semi-auto? Look good? Fire blanks only? Hang it on a wall? Use it for a really big paperweight? Use it as an expensive club? Walk around with it and look good? Reenact?

johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

I want it as something I can add to my militaria collection. It does not have to be able to shoot.

John
messerschmittfan
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by messerschmittfan »

I would suggest that you check out Gunbroker.com they have the dummy, non fireable MG42's offered quite often. Harry
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

messerschmittfan wrote:I would suggest that you check out Gunbroker.com they have the dummy, non fireable MG42's offered quite often. Harry
Thanks! I will check that out.

John
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

If I could find a MG53 I would be happy with that also.

John
Woodey
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by Woodey »

Center fire system still sell the M53 parts kits , that's a good start
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

Woodey wrote:Center fire system still sell the M53 parts kits , that's a good start
I looked at their site but couldn't find anything for the '53. Do you have a link?
Thanks,
John
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

johnb593 wrote:
Woodey wrote:Center fire system still sell the M53 parts kits , that's a good start
I looked at their site but couldn't find anything for the '53. Do you have a link?
Thanks,
John
http://centerfiresystems.com/KIT-M53-1.aspx

IMO you could do better on the secondary market even if you end up paying more. Going by the pic at CF, the bipod along with the front appear to be missing (FH, booster, bearing, front sight parts). And of course the barrel is drilled, but if you want a dummy, that won't matter, but for $600 its missing a lot of parts.
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

Der Alder wrote:
johnb593 wrote:
Thanks,
John
http://centerfiresystems.com/KIT-M53-1.aspx

IMO you could do better on the secondary market even if you end up paying more. Going by the pic at CF, the bipod along with the front appear to be missing (FH, booster, bearing, front sight parts). And of course the barrel is drilled, but if you want a dummy, that won't matter, but for $600 its missing a lot of parts.
I see what you mean. I'd like to have one that will function in SA if possible. I'm pretty new at this and have no real gunsmith experience unfortunately. Just a collector of militaria. This is really my first venture into guns and I can use all the help I can get. I have John Baum's book coming which will help I'm sure. Was there a receiver included in that (I know, dumb question but I don't recall seeing one and if you don't ask how will you know about things you are unclear on). If you would PM me with your recommendations I'd appreciate it.

THANKS!

John
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

You might want to double check that. The person doing the photos for centerfire might not have done a great job on photographing everything. About the only thing that has been missing in the past was the rear receiver section. Of course the bipod as listed was missing.
Give them a call before you rule them out.
That said finding that rear receiver hunk is still hard.

Another place to try is

http://mg34.com/

I think that they offer a better deal altogether, the only thing missing is the barrel and a welder to weld everything up.

Later 42rocker
Oldrelic
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by Oldrelic »

Allegheny (http://mg34.com/) (changed by mod 42rocker) had welded Dummy Mg53s up until around May 15th 2013. I called to order a few other parts for MY Dummy 53 , and again ask about their remaining Dummy 53's - They were SOLD OUT. I think that I got one of the last few they had for $975.00.

It was missing the Buffer latch, Nozzle Cone / Bearing Bushing , and the Feed cover was striped of all of it's internals. It came with a "Plastic" PVC Barrel. No real barrel was included. I have since fixed all of that, and replaced the missing parts.

Their Mg53 came Pained Black , which I striped the paint off. It took a while to clean up, but it looks OK now.

They still list Un-Welded kits , mabie they could weld one of these for you if you ask?

I thought it would be easyer to pay for a Welded Dummy, than try to find someone to weld it for me , as I DO NOT
weld eiter.

All purchased from mg34.com  , except for Gunners Pouch.
All purchased from mg34.com , except for Gunners Pouch.
Attachments
Cleaning Paint off of Mg53 Dummy
Cleaning Paint off of Mg53 Dummy
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

Oldrelic wrote:Allegheny (http://mg34.com/) (changed by mod 42rocker) had welded Dummy Mg53s up until around May 15th 2013. I called to order a few other parts for MY Dummy 53 , and again ask about their remaining Dummy 53's - They were SOLD OUT. I think that I got one of the last few they had for $975.00.

It was missing the Buffer latch, Nozzle Cone / Bearing Bushing , and the Feed cover was striped of all of it's internals. It came with a "Plastic" PVC Barrel. No real barrel was included. I have since fixed all of that, and replaced the missing parts.

Their Mg53 came Pained Black , which I striped the paint off. It took a while to clean up, but it looks OK now.

They still list Un-Welded kits , mabie they could weld one of these for you if you ask?

I thought it would be easyer to pay for a Welded Dummy, than try to find someone to weld it for me , as I DO NOT
weld eiter.

That looks great! I be very happy to get one so I will check it out. A unwelded one would be fine as I wouldn't know where to begin on welding.

John

Mg53-42 Dummy Gun.JPG
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Allegheney Arsenal is www.MG34.com, not MG42.com. They sold their last dummy 42 at Knob Creek, and the guy who made them is busy with other projects. I'd be surprised if they make any more.

Oldrelic
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by Oldrelic »

Sorry , I did mean http://www.Mg34.com ..... Thank you for your Fix. :oops:

I hope that you will find a nice Display, I have had Both a Mg34 and a Mg53 (42). They are both Awesome at
events when they are in a period accurate display.

They draw a lot of attention.
johnb593
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by johnb593 »

I'm finding some interesting info. I'd prefer to buy a "already finished" 53 that would function in SA although a non-functioning 53 (or 42) would do fine. Thanks everyone for your input.
John