Allegheny Arsenal

Anything MG42 related.
fritsch
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel
Anti-spam: Mg42

Allegheny Arsenal

Post by fritsch »

Hey everyone. I've been bitten by the MG 42 bug lately. I've completed a 1919a4 and RPD build, and I figured I'd build one more complex kit before all the kits in America seemingly disappear. I see Allegheny Arsenal has their MG53 kit for $600. My question is, is it worth it? Are these de milled really bad (as in cuts in the wrong spots, etc)? If so, is it too bad? Has anyone built a semi on these lately? I've found very little as far as reviews for these kits. If there's a review out there, just point me in the right direction and I'll get out of your hair.
0321USMC

Re: Allegheny Arsenal

Post by 0321USMC »

I handled a AA m53 kit about a year ago, not one of the EX-New kits offered today, all the cuts were made with plasma cutter, and in just the right places too. Best cut job I've seen. I would buy one in a heartbeat.
fritsch
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by fritsch »

Just what I wanted to hear. As far as I can find, it seams to be the last retailer still offering all the receiver pieces in this price range.
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

Hi Fritsch, Allegheny's most expensive kit is the best MG42 variant on the market. Get one while you can. It contains the entire receiver and a perfect barrel. The receiver is cut diagonally in four parts. The cut through the nameplate was done with a plasma. It is perfect for a semi build, because it's all there, and all the parts are from the same gun. It all fits together like a model. If you have your semi parts, you could get it up and running in a weekend. The last one I got didn't need the new barrel bushing because the torch missed it completely. Saved $75. It is very lightly stamped "M53", so it will be easy to sand it off and engrave it "MG42". I posted a picture a couple topics back, have more pics/measurements if you need them.
In my opinion, the fellows trying to use BRP rear sheet metal are working too hard The clone sheetmetal is overly thick, poorly shaped and has radii that are far too wide. I would go with the A.A. kit. Best of luck in your build...Phil
jcmg42
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by jcmg42 »

Parts set is complete except for the barrel and internal rails which are NOT included.
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

Hi guys, The ad in SGN, Vol 66, #18, pg 70, 6-20-12, shows "a few with barrel and rails $749" This is the one you want. The website is hopelessly out of date. They had some of the expensive kits last week. You will have to call and ask. The original rails are left inside, cut through. The rivets are perfect, for you to remove. A new set of real, original drilled rails from somebody else's real receiver is included. Perfect! Best of luck...Phil
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

The last time I bought one (about 14 months ago) the only issue I had was the bushing area had a nasty cut which went right through the tracks for the barrel bushing--I guess I was spoiled w/ the '42s that were (usually) easier to handle. The bluing/condition was excellent--looked un-issued. As for the barrel he gives you the extension, just buy a new one at Centerfire, Apex, or Century and screw it in.

I think it is Dickish though to show a picture "representative" of your kits, and he picks one that looks like it was a refurbed MG42 with the AA mount and slender barrel shroud; I have seen several kits and none look like that-all M53s. If you lived close enough to go and pick through the lot you could probably do much better.

Anyway, BRP use to have M53 and Mg42 rails pretty cheap, my welding skills are quite deficient so I would always opt for re-welding a 4-or if you get really lucky a 3-cut receiver rather than the BRP stampings, which look really nice but are above my skill level.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

Ad.jpg
Ad.jpg (4.72 KiB) Viewed 5292 times
This
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Ask them how much extra for a hand select. For and extra $20 or so, you might get one that will save you a lot of work. If whoever you're talking to for ordering doesn't know if they do that, ask to talk to Greg (owner). They used to do it.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
fritsch
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by fritsch »

Oh man, I never thought about that. I just ordered it this morning, so I'm at the luck of the draw. I'll post pictures when it gets here in the next few days
fritsch
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by fritsch »

I emailed them and asked if I could get handpicked as far as the cuts are concerned, and they said they're all cut the same. I appreciate their honesty. They could've told me yeah. taken my $20, and I wouldn't have been the wiser.As I said, I'll post pics when it gets here so you guys can see what quality of kits AA has left.
fritsch
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by fritsch »

I've been having an ordeal with Allegheny Arsenal these last few weeks, and when someone said their customer service sucks, they were right! I emailed them and asked if MG53 kits were in stock and they said "yes", so I ordered one. That was on June 20th. A week later on the 27th I called to get a tracking number to find where it's at. They said things can take up to 6-8 days to ship out. 6-8 DAYS!? Ok, fine. They're buisy. Another week went by, and I called them today. The guy I talked to said there was an error in their system and THEY HAVENT EVEN SHIPPED IT OUT YET. They charged my accout that day I placed the order, but noone could figure out there was something wrong until after I called them twice and two weeks of time? I've ordered from a lot of places and I know how things can get, so I was being pacient with them, but this is unacceptable. If I could find a kit that had the receiver pieces for anywhere near that price anywhere else on god's green earth, I would in a heartbeat. Which leads me to a question:

Is there anywhere else that offers an MG53 kit with all the reciever pieces?
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Well there is always Florida Gun Works, FGW: :shock:
http://www.floridagunworks.com/Merchant ... +PARTSKITS

Okay before anyone gets too excited, they are known for being the worst ever to deal with. The comical thing for those that have been at this for a while is FGW use to have their parts kits around 1/3 to twice as much as everyone else, now the prices of some of their kits look pretty good. Except they do not have them of course :puk:

Mg34.com are not fraudsters but I am not impressed, I have had problems with them as well in fact they are the only major store I spurn whenever possible. However I do not know of any other source, so try to get another small project going to distract yourself for a few weeks and you should then have your parts kit, seriously it is the only way :shock: :D
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

Ahh, yes FGW. Be sure to check out their MG(space)34 complete kit for $845. Order a couple.... I had mine hand-picked for $15 each! Charged my c/c. Well, they don't actually have any - haven't in years. Why up-date the site? Really, I think you'll be thrilled when you receive your complete M53 from AA. Wait for it. And be sure to take pictures, wrapping, peanuts and all! You'll cherish the "before" pics when it's done. If I could find mine I'd post them. Good luck...Phil
jcmg42
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by jcmg42 »

Brian seems to have slim pickings now a days
http://www.brpguns.com/categories/Parts ... arts-Kits/

Centerfire is down to their trashed kits
http://centerfiresystems.com/KIT-M53-1.aspx

Maybe we can hope for change,...

On a bright note, sarco still shows the beltloader at $150.
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

M53 kit 1-11-12 005.jpg
M53 kit 1-11-12 003.jpg
M53 kit 1-11-12 001.jpg
Mine from AA 1/12
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

jcmg42 wrote:Brian seems to have slim pickings now a days
http://www.brpguns.com/categories/Parts ... arts-Kits/

Centerfire is down to their trashed kits
http://centerfiresystems.com/KIT-M53-1.aspx

Maybe we can hope for change,...

On a bright note, sarco still shows the beltloader at $150.
I cannot foresee anything on the horizon, the importers I speak to (who granted keep their cards close to their vest) really do not have any encouraging news. After 21 years since the USSR fell apart, the shrinking world due to mass communication, and exhaustion of weapons stockpiles, the high-water mark is long gone. Never again will you see Mg34's and Mg42's parts kits pulled out of the Balkens and Eastern Europe the in Sportsmans Guide for $399 and $499, or SOG selling Mosin nagant M91s (not 91/30s) for $39.99, Carcanos for $39.99, RC 98K's for $99.99, etc.... the past 15 years are gone and so is the free-for-all; it was a sh*tty time to be a student with no money for most of it :puk: but at least I could window shop :lol:

In this hobby often if you hold out for something better you usually get rewarded by being forced to pay thrice the price on the auction sites.

However everyone is mum about Russia, they MUST still have G43s, Mp40s, and Stg44s. In time I think small batches of parts kits (mp40s and STg44s) may happen again but at present high prices NOT 1992/3 prices :( Dennis of Empire Arms at various times has claimed that the price the Russians want for their G43s is full retail for the US market, which leaves no meat on the bone for an importer. Things change the Century imported DDR-issued G43's originally sold for what $699/$799?? now they easily crest $2K, and they are no "vet-bring-back" specimens. So who knows, hope springs eternal, right :?

fritsch
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by fritsch »

Wow. You guys are right. There seams to be nothing out there! I think patience may be a virtue in this case. I can only speculate as to how many AA still has.

There seams to be at least a mediocre supply of kits without rear receivers left on the market. I'll bet some more manufacturers start coming out with 100% rear receivers to take Wiselite's place.

p.s. I'm 28, and when I started building 10 years ago, I built my first AK (Romanian "G" kit on NDS receiver) for $200. I'm not even 30 and I can still talk about "good ol days"!
fritsch
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by fritsch »

oh, and anjongni, can you use that front bushing and weld it back on, or are you buying a new one?
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

M53 receiver 1-28-12 007.jpg
M53 kit 1-11-12 002.jpg
The front bushing was just barely touched by the torch, so it got re-used. I ordered the new front bushing from RTG the same day as the kit, so as to have it on hand. Will save it for the next one.....Phil