Another great image!

bmg17a1
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: Another great image!

Post by bmg17a1 »

That cradle has been tempting for a long time as it's been offered for several years if I recall correclty. No other parts have ever been offered for those tripods, unfortunately, and there are a number of people that I know who have been on the trail of anything they can find for one of those, as well as the twin MG34 mounts.
Good project that will need a lot of repro parts.

Bob
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Yeah that was the one that was offered by Ryan for a good while. After his website came down he put it up on GB where I got it. I have always liked the interwar items so it was an easy buy. Its in worse shape then the pictures show. The whole cradle is bent a few ways. Almost every part on it is bent or broken some way. I have not been able to figure out how the Remote trigger works or how the T&E attaches to the cradle. I would really like to get an X-Ray of the cradle at some point.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by 42rocker »

Funny this started off from a re-posting of a 2009 topic and see how it's grown...

IMBLITZVT You should start a tread of it's own, on this part of a mount that you have and ask the mods to make it a sticky so it can grow on it's own. Hoping some lost person in Chile or South Africa sees it and adds more to the topic and maybe you get some more parts to add to it. I'll bet if someone adds to it that they are from Europe not Chile. Good Luck on this project hunt.

Later 42rocker
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Maybe I will do that. There are only about 15 pictures of it that I know of so it would be a place to keep track of them and add new ones. Maybe I will do that later today. I should just get them to make me Mod of this forum :D
dwmmg08
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by dwmmg08 »

IMBLITZVT wrote:Look at the top of the gear box on the sleds to the far left. They look like they have something on top of the gear box to stop the bottom of the MG08 from hitting. Much like the post war system that locks the back of the MG08 to the top of the gear box.

I was actually just looking at those, I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed them, if you look those two have substantially bigger "pads" riveted on the top of the gear box than the other sleds; the ones in the row behind them have more normal sized leather pads on them, and I can't see any but those two with the bigger ones; but it's a little hard to tell from the picture, that was not the photographer's focus!

I think that they're just substantially thicker pads to protect the bottom of the gun right there on top of the gear box. that's what they look like, I was trying to figure out if it could be something to hold the gun, some sort of traveling pad/lock, but that just doesn't seem to fit. When the gun is stowed down on that part, I don't think there's much likelihood of locking it that way, like with a wedge? IT would be an awfully clumsy one!

In looking at it, I was wondering if they might be a different pattern of sled that's been updated so that pad was an older style, but I"m not sure that fits either. Could it be a field armorer added thing, to protect guns that often had to elevate fast in their position??? Interesting! Great picture, thanks for posting it!!! :photos:
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

Just a thought - but maybe the issue is not with the sled.
The vickers needs clearance for the expended round cases so if captured weapons were modified to fit the sled, which occurred, maybe we are just looking at some sleds that had 'alien' MGs fitted. I have never seen underneath a Russian maxim but does that need some ''room for manouvre''? Of cse this only applies at maximum elevation so maybe my theory is 'tish tosh'!!
Just see one sled with maxim here.
Cap (1).jpg
Seeking all items, large or small, to the Imperial MG08, MG08/15 & T Gewehr.
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

Just jumped in my time machine and stole the ammo box to the potato digger.
As I am here any idea on value?
Mark
DSC05556.JPG
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

Cap (3).jpg
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

More great images!

Post by MarkFinneran »

Cap (10).jpg
Cap (7).jpg
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

Interesting photo, purchased from Australia. Disregarding the German who did his duty to the end, the kit suggests 3 MG08/15 posns but I would love to hear any supportive or contradictory views. The hose attachment, gun cover in the background, belts and boxes, the spacing between the 3 posts etc etc all mean something. I like the 'censor' scratching of whatever was in the bottom of the trench.
adeadgerm (1024x640).jpg
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

MarkFinneran wrote:Interesting photo, purchased from Australia. Disregarding the German who did his duty to the end, the kit suggests 3 MG08/15 posns but I would love to hear any supportive or contradictory views. The hose attachment, gun cover in the background, belts and boxes, the spacing between the 3 posts etc etc all mean something. I like the 'censor' scratching of whatever was in the bottom of the trench.
adeadgerm (1024x640).jpg
Hmm, interesting. I would suggest one maybe two MG positions. The one in the foreground is mostly like MG. Note the pile of brass. Clearly most likely a MG. Also note waterhose and watercan at this position. It does look like an early style hose connector with curved neck. However the single belt ammo cans suggests late war. Also it looks like a MG08/15 position as it just looks like a hard spot for a MG08 on a sled to fit.

The middle position I would suggest is the dead rifleman's position. It looks to me like he was feeding the gun from ammo from a MG belt. Note the half filled belt. One is not likely to strip the belt if you are going to retreat with the MG. Either you take your ammo and gun or leave both or run with it in the gun. Guessing of course. Looks like he was shooting with the Mauser when killed. Note the lack of a helmet or any cover.

The third position is hard to tell. Empty MG belt and a rifle... No pile of brass but you do have a cover. Still my guess is another rifleman's position as that would put to MGs very close together... Maybe he left his mauser and ran when the dead soldier was hit? This being after a MG08/15 had already pulled back to a safer position. I mean its anyones guess at this point.

In the end is always hard to tell as I think these pictures were often "tweaked" to make a better picture... Oh and I can not see the censorship scratch???
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

A beautiful Canadian Memorial.

Post by MarkFinneran »

Canb.jpg
They don't get much better than this.
Mark
Attachments
Cana.jpg
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Looks like someone needs to bring them inside!
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

Some nice views of a few postcards for interest. British MGC officers and men casually sitting with a captured MG08.
05-27-2012 09;nn.JPG
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

Believed to be in the Middle East.
asd.JPG
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

Nice view of a captured Boche MG. This is a French postcard.
asd3.JPG
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Oh no not the dentist too...

Post by MarkFinneran »

dentist (1).jpg
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

dentist (2).jpg
Obviously a collector just going for all the slings :D
MarkFinneran
Oberst
Oberst

Post by MarkFinneran »

Recent purchase and of interest to the WWI machine gunner.
DSC09171.JPG
mg34nz
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by mg34nz »

Hi Gentlemen,

Does anyone have an image of a manned MG08 or captured MG08/08's that I could have a high resolution scan of?
I am writing an article for a magazine here in NZ and would like to use a good period image.I have a lot of low resolution images from off the net and some Mark Finneran shared with me also but I need high resolution for publication.Please get in touch if you could assist.

Thank you
Andrew MG34NZ