Ammo, the good, the bad, the ugly.

The #1 place for MG42 answers.
salt6
General
General
Anti-spam: Mg42

Ammo, the good, the bad, the ugly.

Post by salt6 »

Ok post what's good or bad and who has the good stuff.

SB
Karbinator

Post by Karbinator »

I run Southern Ammo .308 (boxer.berdan mixed izzy-belgium) in my 1919semi
with few problems. The semi42 will blow these primers,but the ammo burns clean.

Romanian 8mm is corrosive, and cakes up quick, but it seems to fire nicely in the
semi42. Clean barrel and bolt immediately.
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

I have been using lake city, the good stuff, I won't take a chance with crap ammo in my FAL. I have some .308 South African coming, berdan primed, non corrosive. gonna try that in the 42.
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

I use Turk in my 98. and for unloading into dummy belts. crap is cheap enough to burn. Haven't had any problems shooting it. No hang-fires, or mis-fires. Also shoot sellier-belloit sp in it to get rid of the feral cats at my in laws. Just bought a case of Yugo. have not had a chance to fire it.
gearlogo
Leutnant
Leutnant

Post by gearlogo »

Although I would not run turk in a 42 because it's hot and the brass is questionable. I ran a few thousand through my 1919 and it loves it. I wish I had bought more. You lose some to split necks like 5 per bando. I wish there was still a good source for it.
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

I got the South African .308 and ran 160 rounds through my G3 sunday, it seems to work
pretty good. fairly acurate. I am anxious to try it in the 42.
medved

Turk 8mm

Post by medved »

Have run about 10K of turk 8mm through my Mg 34 and 1919A4. Have tried ammo as early dated as 1938 and as late as 1950. The only turk I have had run well consistantly is the 1949 dated turk. No head failures, split necks etc and only an occasioanl misfire which usually would fire 2nd time through. I would avoid any turk dated before 1944 as the heads are much weaker than the later dated ammo. Of the 10K I've fired about 8k of it was 1949 dated. However I would not use this ammo in my 42. I only shoot Portuguese 308 or 8mm in it. In the 34 I have had good results with the early german brass case ammo J and G was selling a few years ago.
HerrMueller

South African 308

Post by HerrMueller »

I run South African 308 in both my 1919's and my Fal's..every once and a while I get a misfire.. out of about the last 20 that I have had (out of 3000 + rounds) only one did not go off the second time thru. I also have purchased the linked 308 from England M13 links-160 rds to a can-$ 20.00..This stuff is GREAT..I run it in a friends M60 and in my Fals..I have also tried the Port. 308..it worked fine also..I have not shot alot of it but from what I saw it was almost on par with the South African. I will not shoot the Indian ammo in anything I own. I have witnessed one gun get destroyed and have looked at another that had the brl. damaged beyond repair. The latter was a 1919 so the fix was cheap and easy..The first was an original L1A1...Demo'd it..So a word to the wise...Don't try to save a buck ...buy quality ammo and play it safe..
reb62

Re: Ammo, the good, the bad, the ugly.

Post by reb62 »

Greetings,

Does anyone know where one may get just 8mm FMJ bullets so I may either reload my own and or put together dummy rounds for display purposes?

Thanks.

reb62
easymoney
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by easymoney »

I have searched for cheap 8mm bullets to reload for my 42 and believe expensive ones are not easy to find.
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

This is why its good to get a 7.62 NATO (.308) conversion kit. 8mm is a great round but is getting somewhat limited. If you invest in a good MG3 .308 barrel (possibly a smaller or .308 nozzle if needed), NOS MG1 top covers and feed trays can be had for $89...and that opens up a world of alternatives, including some very recent made good surplus NATO .308. Just my 2 cents...