Blueing

Ask your build questions here. Welding, assembly, etc.
BDE
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Blueing

Post by BDE »

I am looking for any blueing products that will give a better more durable finish that cold blueing without having it hot blued, Something i can do myself.

Thanks
Brian
amafrank
Major
Major

Re: Blueing

Post by amafrank »

Good luck, You are not alone in that wish. About the best I've seen is the oxpho blue from brownells. Some have good results with it and others don't. Its all hit and miss. The main thing is to keep the surface clean and oil free but even then things tend to be spotty.

Frank
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Use break cleaner on it before using the cold blue to clean off all oil deposits then warm the metal before applying the cold blue solution
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Surface prep is essential with cold blue. If you sand blast, and heat the metal with a heat gun, you will get good results. Make sure you soak the finished product in lots of oil and let it 'cure' for a day or so.
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
BDE
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by BDE »

I thought at one time i saw a product that produced a blue/black finish but done like parkerizing, Anybody ever heard of such a product???

Thanks
Brian
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

No, but Parkerizing is WAY easier than I ever thought. I mean, the hardest part is finding a SS container for the parts. Clean parts, hit with degreaser. Boil solution, dip for 20 minutes, blow dry, hit with WD40....done. (solution can be purchased for as little as 29 bucks on ebay....)
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
BDE
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by BDE »

I could have sworn i saw something you boiled the parts in to get a blue/black finish, I will keep looking.

Thanks for the help
Brian
BDE
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by BDE »

Has anybody tried Shootersoultions gun blue? It looks like it might be similar to Brownells Oxpho Blue ?

Thanks
Brian