Blank-Adapting the MG34.

Anything MG34 related.
reb62

Re: Blank-Adapting the MG34.

Post by reb62 »

Blanksguy, thank youf ro your input. I will study your suggestions and give all consideration.

Another question on this subject of blank firing the MG34.

Using this blank firing barrel that I have shown in the pics above, what would be the proper lubricating locations on this barrel? I wouldn't want to gum up any of the moving areas unnecessarily, but then wouldn't want to under lubricate as well to prevent over heating.

I'm searching for lubricating publicatons on this subject.
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

reb62,
On lubricating the Blank-Barrel.....only clean/lightly oil the chamber and extension.......then clean the piston area of both sections for all carbon buildup. Only the rear-half moves as the 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel assembly does not use a Booster-Cup/"Nozzle". (another reason why I said to restrict the front/muzzle of the forward half of the Blank-Barrel-Assembly.

The outside (and bore) I would only use a very light amount of oil to keep the parts from rusting out-doors (wipe off any excess) and so that carbon does not attach to it.

Last, remember to remove and re-lubricate the threads of any allen-set-screw (restriction) that you have installed in the muzzle so that the carbon does not "freeze" the plug in place. A good lubricant for this is called "Anti-Sieze-compound" (?-spelling). This silver-paste can be brushed on the threads and helps to keep the threads from locking-up due to excess heat and carbon/pressure. If you don't have any......a drop of oil on the threads will work....just won't last as long.
Till you get the hang of how often to lub. these threads.....try about every 500-Blanks....or once a day out in the field/reenactment.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
mp40oli

Post by mp40oli »

Any suggestions how to keep the front half of the 2 piece barrel stationary? I have spent case ejection problems (not a middle age thing either)..lol Wondering if the excessive movement might have some bearing on my problem.
mp40oli

Post by mp40oli »

Just to add info on my last question, the front half of the barrel is machined smooth, and round, right to the very end.
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

MP40oli,
You will have to be more specific as there are "two-ends" to the forward-half of the 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel........a better choice would be to post a photo with your question ...??? Also, as I am not at your location to "see" what is happening.....you will have to give a complete description of what happens (from start to finish) and list of what you have tried so that I can sort this out and better able to give you direction and/or suggestions.

Also note that if the barrel has been modified in "diameter" at the muzzle....you will have to give me the measurements.......if you list these down on your photo, it will help. (IE: Does it have a "flared-end" near the chamber like the ones in my photos-?).

Next...... I am having problems locating (and receiving replies back) from someone to do "affordable-restoration" of the below listed items for my collection:
1: MGZ-40 Optic-Carry-Can.
2: MG34 Lafette.
3: MG34 AA-Tripod w/head.
4: MG42 AA-Tripod w/head.
NOTE: I am able to do the work (and learn how to paint)......but just really don't have the time to do this work (and learn to paint).
**Any suggestions as I would rather spend that spare time I do have on "other-projects", and the ability to help members on this Board. With that said......I don't have time to do both.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
Matt
Major
Major

Post by Matt »

blankguy, you should contact one of the reenactor groups. lots of them out there. they do a lot of their own work restoring items for events and I am sure they can help you out. - matt
MG34Biker

Post by MG34Biker »

Rich,
Is it OK to tap an MG42 muzzle booster for 5/8x24 for blank adapter set screws or do I have to get a specially made booster? I need one or two for Mar 14-16th but I don't think Dean would sell me one.
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

MG34Biker,
First tell me which system you are trying to Blank-Adapt........

1: Live-barrel and restricted-booster-cup/"Nozzle".....or:

2: 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assembly.......(NOTE: When asking questions about the 2-pcs.-Blank-Barrel-system ......it would be best/"safer" if I could see how it was made/machined.....if it doesn't have the "flair" at the rear of the forward half, then it will beat the barrel-bearing "keyways" against the milled slots in the barrel-support welded in the front of the receiver till either "fails").

This will help others by answering the question here/in this thread.

On a side note, I need to talk with you on another matter. Please meet me at my e-mail address listed below if you would.
Regards, RichardS in MI.
MG34Biker

Post by MG34Biker »

Rich,
Sorry, this will be a semi 42, Wiselite/Apex merger. Standard Bbl with the restrictor in the boostah.
He will go with Westwall Blanks, I believe.

My C&R 34 runs well with my own 14gr Unique/CH4D Dies/-06 Brass loads with a 5/32" oriface.
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

MG34Biker,
First....this is an "MG34" "Blank-Adapting-Thread".....issues that come into play with an MG42/SA42 should be asked over in the MG42-Setion.

Depending on what size hole is in your Booster-Cup/"Nozzle".....1/2x20TPI may work.....or using 9/16x18TPI would work. I would hessitate to tell you to use the 5/8x18TPI as there may not be enough room for the "Head" between the Barrel-Bearing front-surface to rear of bolt-head once installed inside the rear of the Booster-Cup/"Nozzle".

There are quite a few other "adjustments" and a couple other modifications to try with both the MG34/SA34 and MG42/SA42 systems to get them to fire the available Blanks well...."but" with a little work, they all can be made to run on 8x57mm Blanks.....7.62x51mm/.308 Blanks......and 30/06 Blanks.

I would go into more detail about the MG42/SA42 issues but we are on the MG34 Blank-Adapting Thread.

Remember though....it is always safer to install this type of restriction from the rear whenever possible.
Regards, RichardS in MI.
MP43SNIPER

Post by MP43SNIPER »

FYI I just tested a registered MG34 yesterday using the IO Inc 2 piece blank barrel and no restrictors in the end. Yes, that is correct, there were no shredders or allan screws in the barrel end to keep pressure in the back. I was using "green tip" blanks from Atlantic Wall Blanks and the weapon seemed to perform flawlessly. The green tip ammo produces a fireball and extremely loud report in K98s, and Robb from AW told me that they might have enough power to run the MG without modifying the barrels. They do. I may still tap the end in case I'm at a reenactment and need to use other rounds, but these work very well so far.

I only ran one belt through it but wanted to pass on the info. There will be more testing soon.

Craig
Robert

Post by Robert »

Thanks Blanksguy for your help.
Here´s my last weekend testing!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCWZO9G9_AI
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

For those that want to make up their own 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assemblies for their MG-34/SA-34, I have made up some 5x8-cards with the basic information and have posted these below as photos for you to use.

NOTE: Original MG-34 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assemblies were made up by weapons repair personnel using old/shot-out MG-34 Barrels with the basic guideance that was issued to them by the WWII German Military.
As such.....the parts from these 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assemblies may not interchange with parts from other 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assemblies.
If you already have a 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assembly.....and only want to have an additional "Rear-Section" made up in a different caliber to be able to fire Blanks in other calibers......use your old "Rear-Section" as a "guide" for the Gunsmith to use for measurements when making up your new "Rear-Section". He will also need your Bolt-Assembly" to use to set-up "Head-Space"......and remind him to set that "Head-Space" up on the loose-side.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
Attachments
000-1-4.jpg
000-1-5.jpg
000-1-6.jpg
bmwr12
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by bmwr12 »

I will be having a semi 34 coming in soon from Project guns soon and I am wondering the best way to blank adapt it. I would like to use Satterfield blanks as they work great in my semi 42. I was thinking about buying an original 2 pcs barrel. Is this the best way to go?
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

If the "Original" 2-pcs. Blank-Firing-Barrel is made up so that you can adjust it for different Blanks "Great"......most (if not all) of these were made to fire the then available "Wood-Tipped-Blanks" which are really not avaiolable in bulk now.

If it comes as a 3-pcs. Blank-Barrel (the third-pcs. being the short-piston on the end of the barrel at the muzzle)....just drill this area out and tap it for use with 1/2x20TPI Allen-Set-Screws that you can drill out for different pressure requirements. Very-simple and can be done at home with a hand-drill w/correct drill-bit and hand-tap of 1/2x20TPI.

Regards, RichardS in MI.
MG34Biker

Post by MG34Biker »

Is anybody making the 2pc 34 blank barrels from scratch? I bought an extra barrel extension, would like a Nato chamber piece turned to fit my current IO 8x57 2pc.

I tried the Atlantic Wall Green tips, with the 2pc, restricted and unrestricted. couldn't get it to run more than 3 or 4 rd burst.

I've got my Schwein to run extremely well with the Prvi-Partisan M69 8x57 blanks in a reliable live-fire bbl, using the stainless blank booster from Allegheny.

I'm still working on my trike so I can get around at airshows. I've displayed at about 6 in the last 3 years but haven't been able to get down the flightline to look at the planes.

I'm still wanting to work on the MG34S conversion for blanks only, drop a couple more lbs.
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

MG34Biker,
To address the challanges that you are having with your MG-34......I will have to list these as separate issues as listed below.
1: A 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel by nature does not use a Booster-Cup/"Nozzle"......it only requires the 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assembly.
2: I-O's 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assemblies appear to have a separate piston on the end of the forward barel-section which could be removed if memory serves me correctly (I'm tired today)......but should be left tightly in palace on the muzzle-end of your Blank-Barrel-Assembly.

My question at this point would be "did you drill/tap the muzzle-end of the barrel for the required smaller restriction used with those "green-tip" Blanks (?). I believe that Robb requires about .176" restriction (but each gun is different and is required to be "dialed-in" for best operation).

Next challange......just like the "running-clearance" when setting up an engine for compression.......if the piston-to-barrel-clearance on the rear-piston of your 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel vs. the forward-section ID is too-loose.......you won't get the required "back-pressure to operate your "system".......and one of the problems when using "I-O" 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assemblies which as "used"/"abused" parts.
That said....if it's too loose...it isn't going to work.....the "good-news" is that you can have a new part/chamber-end made for your 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assembly, and it will work better(LOUDER) than a live-barrel-assembly firing-Blanks with restricted Booster-Cup/"Nozzle".

Next challange......with you being in Colorado....my suggestion would be to take your Blank-Barrel-Assembly to a competant machineshop down in either Denver-area....or down in the "Springs" (I don't recall where you are living now......and have it made. If you go to a "Gunsmith".....it will be more expensive.
A machineshop can make the parts that you need and/or make an intire new 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assembly from the drawings that I posted earlier in this "thread".

Let me know what you next challanges are that are not covered in this "thread" earlier.....and we will sort this out for you.
Regards, RichardS in MI.
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

I.O. has blank barrels for sale.....

http://ioinc.us/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen ... de=Barrels
bmwr12
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by bmwr12 »

Rich will your blanks cycle correctly with a Guiette MG34 BFA?? I think this is the route I want to take. I want to be able to use you blank ammo in my 42 and 34. Your blank ammo works good in the 42 with the Guiette BFA.
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

They operate my Full-Auto C&R MG-34 with the Guiette-manufactured Blank-Adaptor that I bought only to test........
............."But"..........
.......................the 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assembly will always be louder as it requires "LESS" pressure to operate (and does not require the use of a Booster-Cup/"Nozzle").........this in turn allows for more pressure out of the front of the gun (IE: LARGER BFA Hole-Size/Restriction)....more-pressure at the front = "LOUDER-Gun".
........can't make it any easier than that.

If you really want one, I can sell you the one that I have here for slightly less that he is selling an unused/new one (?). You can meet me at my e-mail address if interested in it.
(NOTE: This is not an "ad" to sell these things.....just easier to answer bmwr12's question here.)

As I do not own a semi-only SA-34......I could only say that you will probably have to use a slightly smaller BFA Hole-Size/Restriction to get an SA-34 to operate due to added spring/hammer-pressure that it has to overcome.

Last, I'll make time and go over to my local machine-shop and see what he will charge me to turn these extra 20(+)-odd MG-34 and MG-42 Barrels that I have into good 2-pcs. Blank-Barrel-Assemblies. This will be a "no-profit" venture........I will expect good replacement barrel-assemblies when they are ready "and" for payment of the machinist's labor, my time running back-and-forth, and shipping.
I will post what I find out....and the expected price with and without Barrel-Exchanges........
"NO".....I say again "NOOOOOOOOO", I will not take down a list of "I want a set-names".........period !!!!!
I have too much stuff going on now to do that.

Regards, RichardS in MI.