FG-42 first model

Post your pics here.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

FG-42 first model

Post by JBaum »

There's a category for the MG, MP, and non-German, but no category for the FG, so I thought I'd put it here. Just got back from a friend's place. I'm working on an FG42 first model manual, and needed to look one over. I asked the guy to take my picture while I had it. It's NOT a Japanese toy, it's the real thing. Neat stuff. He's supposed to let me shoot it next time I go to his place. That'll be a blast. It's surprising how short it is, and I thought the grip would be awkward, but it's very comfortable. Ahhh, the ultimate toy.
Attachments
FG42-1.jpg
FG42-1.jpg (230.32 KiB) Viewed 6353 times
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Sledge303

FG-42 Semi's being built...

Post by Sledge303 »

Some outfit here in Colorado is building exact copies of the German FG-42 using all new made parts. The finished firearm will be a semi-auto, so some changes have been made. The first sample is at BATFE tech branch now. This one should be very cool and priced to match. I don't have any specifics or contact info, just spoke to a friend who has handled this firearm and was wondering why I am not on the waiting list.
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

Thanks for the pic JBaum. I never realized it's size. Your pic gives you a idea how short it is...cool.
It's better to be silent and considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Karbinator

Post by Karbinator »

Jbaum,
Are the stock pieces made of wood, metal, bakelite?
Did the Germans stamp the rcvr housing like the stg?
also....with the grip canted, did it force you to hold your
elbow upwards when shoulderd?

Great pic. I've only seen one at a gun expo, and it was behind some thick plexiglass.
Mg34gunner
Stabsunteroffizier
Stabsunteroffizier

Post by Mg34gunner »

Hey John!!

Nice to have a face to go with the name!

Enjoying my MG08 manuals...

Harry in FL
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

The overall length is only 37". The pistol grip is suprisingly comfortable. I thought it would be very awkward, but it's not. Just hold it like any other gun. The gun is stamped with serial number and "FG42" on top of the barrel mounting block, which is a block of steel. The buttstock is stamped sheet metal. There's a push button on the right side to release the stock, which slides off to the rear. The gun fires from an open bolt on full auto, and from a closed bolt for semi-auto. The bipod is mounted in the middle and folds forward, and there's a spike bayonet under the barrel, that instead of being hinged like an AK, pulls out and you turn it around then put it back in the mount. Look closely in the picture, the bipod is folded forward just under the barrel, and the bayonet stub is sticking out of the mount. It's pointed rearward inside the folded bipod in the picture. There is virtually no handle on it, so it doesn't double as a fighting knife. Totally impractical I would think, but it's there. I didn't notice any stampings on the receiver sheet metal, just on some of the steel parts. I'm supposed to get to shoot it the next time I go over there. I have to return the magazine for it, which I brought home to photograph. He was telling me how he got a great deal when he bought the magazine at a show. Only paid $1,000 for it. Yeow!

I'm nearly done with the FG-42 manual. It's a very interesting piece with the way it's made and works. The manual has lots of pictures and drawings to explain the insides.
Last edited by JBaum on Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Hi Harry,

Yup, that's my beautiful puss holding the FG. Glad you like the 08 manual. We had to move the guy's MG-08 in order to get the FG42 out. He has it mounted on the long tripod.... the whole thing was about 6 feet long. What a monster.

The guy also said he was thinking of taking the FG42 to Knob Creek with him to shoot. I'll be at the usual table Friday afternoon and all day Saturday as far as I know. Table C17. It's next to MG34.com (Allegheny Arsenal).

IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Boy thats pretty! I did not realize its that small either! Very cool.
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Sledge303......
I believe that you are mistaken about the company in Colorado (?) making a semi-only First-Model FG42 at this time........

The only one I know of is Estes Adams up in Washington state....you can view his progression at his web-page at:

http://www.fg42.net

.....then click over the "NEWS" Block on the left-hand-side of page.

His first sample-models of a semi-only FG42 has been to BATF Tech. Branch for some time and we should be hearing some word soon. Mr. Adams is accepting deposits at this time.
Tell him RichardS in Bay City, Michigan sent you.

Regards, RichardS.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

Cool.

And it shoots "real" 8mm, instead of the hideously expensive kurtz.

I wonder how much the semi's will cost?
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Cpt_Kirks,

Prices are listed in his "NEWS" section at:

http://www.fg42.net

Regards, RichardS
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
IMBLITZVT
General
General

Post by IMBLITZVT »

Cpt_Kirks wrote:Cool.

And it shoots "real" 8mm, instead of the hideously expensive kurtz.

I wonder how much the semi's will cost?
Well after we get those semi MP44s, the price of the Kurtz will come down!

I think I heard they were going to be around 4k? If I remember correctly!
Cpt_Kirks

Post by Cpt_Kirks »

Silly me, I looked in "products".
Reichpapers
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by Reichpapers »

If I remember right, the FG42 used the french MAS 36 spike bayonet.
It's better to be silent and considered a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.
Demontrooper
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Demontrooper »

Wow, very nice FG42! If he were to sell it, what would be the price?
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

I would guess that an FG42 is now going for $80,000 - $100,000 depending on condition. The hard part is finding one for sale. Certainly there are more people in the country who could come up with $100,000 for one than there are FGs for sale. I've never seen one for sale, and most people have never seen one in private hands. I only know personally of 3 in private hands (two 1st models and one 2nd model). If I ever get a manual for the 2nd model, I've already lined up the guy who will let me take his 2nd model FG apart. Original manuals for the FG are actually more rare than the guns.

whitezcamaro

Post by whitezcamaro »

Dam! that thing is awsome
franks71vw

Post by franks71vw »

It it cost about 4200 dollars... man how expensive is the gun hobby going to get.... poor people wont be able to buy these thing so much for gun control... I think inflation will take care of that... :mrgreen: