best parts kit?

Anything MG42 related.
none123

best parts kit?

Post by none123 »

ok so i'm thinking about building a "SA42" and now i'm wondering who has the best parts kit in terms of a reweld. i was going to go with angola untill i read IO was better (cleaner cuts). now i'm not sure who to go with. any help would be appreciated.

-great site BTW-
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

does io still have 3 cut kits?, I know quite a few guys here are using the kits and or recievers from dan/angola
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
mwc

Post by mwc »

i think io's kits are 4 cut.
Bullwinkle
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by Bullwinkle »

DAN HAS 3 CUT KITS. Very nice and he's HONEST (unlike I/O) you don't have to worry about being screwed by I/O...if you have a problem, Dan is a "No questions asked", no hassle kinda guy....if you don't like the condition of the part he'll send ya another one...UNLIKE I/O....

I'd buy 20 kits Dan if I had the cash....regardless of what I/O CLAIMS to have.....
Mess with the Bull and you'll get the HORNS!
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

Dan's got a great reputation on this board as most of us have bought something from him. things are always as described and on the up & up. he is a member here as well so you can feel secure knowing that hes going to be around to answer your questions and help you find extra parts.
the only complaint i hear repeatedly about Dan and Angola arsenal is how similar it sounds to Allegheny arsenal who sells CRAP.
BEWARE...
Angola = GOOD ....
Allegheny = BAD ....
IO = I'll give'em a fair, some like them some hate them. personally i've had fair luck.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
Otis Cambell

Post by Otis Cambell »

Anybody have info on these kits other than not all parts provided and the cut fwd bearing (see photo)??

http://www.militarygunsupply.com/shop/i ... =pamg42kit
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

YEAH LOOKS LIKE A CRAP ALEG ARSONAL POS KIT sorry bout the cap lock, not enough to even make a dummy
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Otis Cambell

Post by Otis Cambell »

:2gun: Alleghany Arsenal

lol - I know what you mean when it comes to Alleghany Arsenal. On top of it all the owner is a real PRICK
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

never had a prob with their kits or service, just disapointed about the cut in the nose cone, io on the other hand, back when i got my mk 1 bren(when they were cheap) the mags they sent were trashed and looked like they were stored under water, but I had the kit months before i opened it so guess it is my own fault :?

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Jason

Post by Jason »

one more plug for Dan.

I have never seen another kit but the one recieved from angloa armory had 3 cuts that all matched up, with nothing critical cut, the shipping was very fast, and Dan was very informative on the phone.

all that was needed to re-weld was to clean off the slag from the torch, space out, and line it up.
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

Dan over at Angola Armory has helped me several time.....good man to deal with. His DEMILed MG42 receivers are 3-cut and come with the rails (removed), trunion (removed), and barrel-gate (still installed). Take a look at his web-page in the MG42 parts section and you can see what you would be buying from him for a DEMILed MG42 receiver.......and the rails were removed by cutting the heads of the rivets off with and end-mill....not like the ones from some other vendors that use a large grinding-wheel that makes those unsightly makings on the DEMILed receiver.

I can't wait for him to get a shipment of 8mm MG42 Parts-Kits in.
Very honest man to deal with.
RichardS in MI.
none123

Post by none123 »

Well that settles it then. I'll get it from AA. I actually emailed dan on sunday about the kits and recived a reply monday morning. I assume none of the cuts match up with the receiver sections BRP has for sale (I'm not a huge fan of using welds as gap filler).

I allmost bought a kit from Allegheny :oops: untill this place set me straight...Thanks

Now i just need to get My new DRO's installed on my lathe and mill and finish my 1919a4 so I can start on this next project :lol:
ak47dennis

Post by ak47dennis »

Sorry to play devils advocate, posted this on a similar thread.

I would first start off by purchasing a complete kit from IO if they are in stock this is the most economical way to get started. Others have purchased receivers from Angola Arms and the actual parts kit else were. In my opinion this is of course more money and for me I haven’t decides yet if the Angola 3 cut receivers are the best way to go? The IO receivers may have one more cut (4-cut) but their is absolutely no comparison between the two in the way the were torched cut, the IO receivers (and yes I have & seen many off them) could almost pass for a plasma cut were as the Angola receivers have; vast amounts of material missing in some areas. Example, I have 6 of them and to make a professional looking invisible repair on any of them they will need new ratchet plates and possible another front section. For a first time re-welder with a new tig the gaps to fill will be challenging to say the least. So yes I would take the 4-cut IO receiver over the torched 3-cuts. Also have seen quite a few Angola receivers with mucho pitting, (have 2 myself) if you wanted to repair them to look new you would have to fill the deeper pits with small amounts of weld and sand!!

The reason I use the original receiver has nothing to do with economics: like I have said before:

BRP 42 or the use of new rec. = replica nothing more nothing less
Otis Cambell

Post by Otis Cambell »

Alleghany Arsenal service is good until you ask for a refund - totally different story at that point. I/O refund policy is just as dismal - took me 6 months to get a refund from I/O on a POS G3 parts kit. Both are good on replacing parts but refund - don't even mention the word.

Dangerous Dan is excellent all around - excellent customer service. Keeps you wanting to do more business with him.

BTW - ak47dennis makes a very good point on the receivers. One downside on I/O kits is that they cut the rails - would have been nice not to have done so cause makes it much easier to realign the cut receiver sections in the back - could have used the uncut rails as a jig.

All around best kits I've seen in last year have been from I/O. No authentic buttstocks have been available though - aftermarket, fair quality buttstocks in kits. Receivers are excellent even though have 4 cuts but agree with ak47dennis on quality of cuts.

BRP and Alleghany Arsenal kits are now mostly Yugo parts - buy what you want but know what you're buying.
pdstout

Best Parts kit for a rebuild

Post by pdstout »

I have used both. IO, and kits that are like Angola. Kits from Angola do have the rails, but the 4 cut IO receivers are MUCH easier to tig. I do like the one less cut on the Angola kit, but the cut gaps are huge. I have probably built 30 Post Sample MG42s. I have used 4 or 5 Angola type kits. Cole Distributing had these type kits at one time. His add in Shot Gun news says he has more. I called a couple of weeks ago, and they were not in. He said all of his kits came from a rebuild facility. The recrivers were striprd of all finish, but they were WWII.
When I build a Post Sample the most important part is the CUTS!!! (location, and width). Next all the receiver sections need to be from the same MG. Make sure you get all the receiver sectiont!!!! BRP sells kits that have only receiver parts. What kills me is, BRP sell kits that they say are collector grade. BULL!!! You are just gettimg cut up JUNK!!, And a few good internal parts. If they sold all the receiver parts that would be nice. Sorry for the rant!
Next I find that you need a matching trunion. That really makes it nice when lining up the barrel. The biggest problem with the IO kits is, they rarely have a matching trunion. I have even asked for one, and they canot seem to find a kit that has one.
I wonde if there would be interest in a video of the construction, and welding of a post sample MG42 receiver?
Thanks, P. Stout 07FFL/SOT
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

STOUT THERE would be more intrest in a sa build video :D

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
mwc

Post by mwc »

hi stout,
might you have closeup pics on io's cuts? the smallish pics ive seen so far do look like they are almost bandsaw/plasma like cuts.....certainly easier to tig, but mig welding works well in filling the angola cuts.

the cut rails kinda stink tho, but io kits are avail in 8mm which is nice.....how is the quality of the other parts like the feed tray, barrel etc? tia
pdstout

Post by pdstout »

I have never tried to build a SA MG42. When I find time I may. I am building a few ZB26/30s now.
I get new rails in the rap from Robert Johnson for $25.00 a set. I have had the rails from cut guns that were worn, or twisted. Our Jig allows the receiver to be welded together befor the rails are riveted in.
The cuts on the IO kits vary. The person doing the cutting can make all the difference. I have seen a few IO kits gaped pretty bad. If the torch gets twisted or too hot the gap gets large.
The parts in the IO kits seem to be good. I have had no trouble from the barrel, feed tray, bolt, or any other part. Only the non matching trunion may slow the build down.
When I first started building I purchased the IO 308 kits, with the green butt stock for $369.00. They had WWII MG42 top covers. The only parts that were 308 were the barrel and feed tray. All you had to do is knock out the lip in the feed tray, change the barrel, get a WWII butt stock, and you had a nice MG42. Those were the good old days. I was going to purchase 100 kits from IO but wated. Now the same kit is $500.00. Good kits are getting hard to find. Please do not buy from companies thet only sell kits with missing receiver sections. They are JUNK!!! If all the Importers would sell the same type of cut kits. The price may come down. Do not fall for their incomplete kits. I say let them EAT em!
Thanks, P. Stout 07FFL/SOT
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

stout I agree, there are plenty of guns out there to be demilled so if companies want to trash them and sell only parts then they can keep em, it is their loss :wink:

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Otis Cambell

Post by Otis Cambell »

I would think, for the enthuasist builder, that one could use uncut rails that came with a 4 cut receiver and by temporarily bolting them in place that you could position the rear recever cut parts in place in order to tack weld them together - remove the rails then continue welding the rear receiver pieces together. This assumes that you have in posession straight or straightened rails that came with the original receiver.