New US made MG42 barrels in 308 and 8MM

Need something to start or finish a project? Here ya go.
hgosnell

New US made MG42 barrels in 308 and 8MM

Post by hgosnell »

New US made MG 42 barrels, made from military grade blanks (NO JUNK HERE) Come with money back satisfaction guarantee. Due to latest pricing agreement with barrel maker and and parkerizing man, prices have come down. 308 barrel w/extension and parked is $265.00 and 8MM is $280.00 plus freight Barrels used for semi firing should have a life of 16K to 18 K rounds with proper care. Full auto life expectancy is 8K to 9K if not COOKED DOWN. $35.00 will be credited if you send in a good barrel extension. Contact me at hgosnell@hibek.net

striker754
Oberst
Oberst

Post by striker754 »

I might be interested, but why so expensive? US made sure, but you can buy a whole kit for the price of a barrel. Again, not a flame, just curious why so expensive.
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

in reality the cost is not bad. what you are not taking into consideration is that a kit is a used surplus item, not a set of new parts. In addition when a factory sets up to make a million parts the price is less than when making a few dozen. there is a lot of work involved in making one of these assemblies and it is reflected in the price.
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

It is called quantities of scale. IF he could afford to buy 1000 barrel blanks and turn them and then fit them to the barrel blocks he could sell them cheaper. However there is not a demand for 1000 barrels so he can't afford the outlay on them. Heck we don't know what he is paying for the blanks. They could be $100 each.
striker754
Oberst
Oberst

Post by striker754 »

I didnt think about the barrel extension, but thats still too much for me.
hgosnell

Post by hgosnell »

The blanks are exactly $80.00 each. It took a lot of pleading to get barrel maker to drop price from $110.00 each and to get the price down even more (since first posted ) I had to do some serious horse trading with Ed the parkerizing man on his price. Also turning the barrel contour, chambering,head spacing and installation of the barrel extension costs $100.00 each, not to mention the extensions are $30.00 each plus freight on all of the parts. This is not a money making venture, IT IS A SERVICE of offering NEW barrels to those of you who enjoy shooting as much as I do. Hank
DrSmeller

Post by DrSmeller »

Under $300 isn't a bad price. As the supply of imported barrels dries up these will become more attractive. We'll be glad someone is making US barrels.

I wonder what % of a kit price goes to the forgien govt selling it? Probably less than 10%. I have heard a lot of it is sold by the pound/kilo for very little. Maybe someone knowledgeable could chime in.
none123

Post by none123 »

I actually think it's a great price. try having a single barrel made by a machine shop/gunsmith. you will think this is allmost free after that
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

they look great and if I needed 1 this is a price i would be willing to pay since this is a cheap gun to shoot, now on the other hand my cheap ass does not want to spend the 299 for a m2hb barrel,mostly because i cannot afford to shoot the gun so a junker will work fine there :D
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
H S Arms

Post by H S Arms »

none123 wrote:I actually think it's a great price. try having a single barrel made by a machine shop/gunsmith. you will think this is allmost free after that
I agree, it is a good price, when I need another barrel I will buy one of these. I'm a retired Bench rest shooter and we payed a lot more than that for new barrels 10 years ago, of course they were Match barrels, but this seems to be a good product at a fair price. JMO. Harry.
oldiron

Fabrication costs----

Post by oldiron »

Remember you get what you pay for; Military barrels are made worldwide by the lowest bidder-- These barrels are probably more precise and close to spec than any surplus barrels. Anyone that is a serious shooter should order 3-5 of these and have them all headspaced alike so that they would be interchangeable like the original guns were set up. My opinion the guys making these should be commended on their work; spend a little money use a brand new bolt head set them up right and shoot away !! after you have shot your semi 42 into scrap metal after 100000 rds or so you will be ever grateful for buying new barrels--

I have looked at your typical surplus mg 42 barrels for years; and guess what they are usually surplus and discarded for a reason-- Many of the used barrels have to be matched up with a proper bolthead to get acceptlable headspace-- Be safe Not sorry !!
hgosnell

Post by hgosnell »

Barrels are all head spaced the same as a 'NEW" unfired German barrel ( that I have ) with a new bolt head.
panaceabeachbum
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by panaceabeachbum »

those look really nice and +1 for the us parts count, now for the custom caliber request
hgosnell

Post by hgosnell »

Finding heavy enough blanks in unpopular non-machine gun calibers might be tough for a "reasonable cost" but probably doable.
KMFDM
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by KMFDM »

I am considering a few 7.62mm barrels.

But I am curious about a few things-as I am about to spend over 30k on an MG42 (hopefully in the next few weeks) and considering some of your barrels to add to my laager-personally I think the price is fine as a gunsmith normally charges about 250.00+ to rebarrel a gun.

What specifications are they built too? are they reverse engineered in all dimensions or are you working from a blueprint spec.?

Which headspace are you setting them too? There are different headspace specs for the various 7.62 NATO weapons. as there are 8mm (at least 2 possibly three seperate specs). I am assuming you are aware of the differences in 7.62N vs .308.

Are the barrels proofed? or test fired? I don't want to turn my soon to be MG into a twisted hunk of metal; for a semi auto build I can accept an oops-but not for a very expensive MG.

What is my re-course if something does happen? This question is for your protection as much as it is mine.

Please don't take this as a flame, it is not meant as an attack.

I just am genuinely curious.
H S Arms

Post by H S Arms »

KMFDM wrote:I am considering a few 7.62mm barrels.

But I am curious about a few things-as I am about to spend over 30k on an MG42 (hopefully in the next few weeks) and considering some of your barrels to add to my laager-personally I think the price is fine as a gunsmith normally charges about 250.00+ to rebarrel a gun.

What specifications are they built too? are they reverse engineered in all dimensions or are you working from a blueprint spec.?

Which headspace are you setting them too? There are different headspace specs for the various 7.62 NATO weapons. as there are 8mm (at least 2 possibly three seperate specs). I am assuming you are aware of the differences in 7.62N vs .308.

Are the barrels proofed? or test fired? I don't want to turn my soon to be MG into a twisted hunk of metal; for a semi auto build I can accept an oops-but not for a very expensive MG.

What is my re-course if something does happen? This question is for your protection as much as it is mine.

Please don't take this as a flame, it is not meant as an attack.

I just am genuinely curious.
If your in Europe I don't think you have a re-course. What re-course do you have with a used or new MG 42 barrel you buy from a parts supplier?

Not a flame just curious. :?: Harry
KMFDM
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by KMFDM »

I am a US citizen with a state drivers license and an permanant address in the USA-I just work over in Europe on a temporary basis-hopefully that clears up matters a bit, and I am allowed to purchase FA weapons because my state allows me to own one. I just have to leave it stateside when I am in Europe.

What recourse do I have when I purchase an Mg42 from someone stateside? I get to watch them shoot it before I buy it and if it blows up then I am not out anything, and I can sue them if they sell me a piece of junk. What you might want to think about is that you are now probably considered a mfr. and can be held legally liable for the barrels you make. As one of my gunsmithing school instructors used to say-You don't want to have to deal with a widow. I am not sure if you are a gunsmith or not it doesn't really matter-but do you have insurance to cover such things? Most gunsmiths I know do have some form of insurance that they pay into regulary to keep in business. If I buy a surplus barrel they are buyer beware and there is usually a warning about being checked by a competant gunsmith. Also every country that manufactures barrels for these weapons that I am aware of proof fires them before issueing them out even the replacements. Everytime I rebarrel a weapon I test fire it. Some of these are questions you do not want to have to answer in court as a friend of my gunsmithing instructors fater did.

I also have full sets of headspace gages including German military ones for the MG3, also for 7.62N, 308 and 8mm that I use in my line of work on an almost daily basis-most people don't have these items available.
hgosnell

Post by hgosnell »

The barrels are reverse engineered. They are mirrored to a new Steyr 308 and a new German MG42 8MM. 308 Barrels are current military production blanks, 8MM barrel blanks are from same company, same material but not current military production as no one is making 8MM machine guns currently. All head spacing is done to SAAMI minimum specs. As with any barreling, this should be checked by owner especially in the case of interchangable barrels. Worn bolt heads and worn locking rollers can present problems beyond our control.I have shot both in my semi with out a single problem. These were made to be interchangable between guns as were originals. Running a full auto weapon is the SOLE responsibility of the OWNER. Any recourse is out of the question. If proofing is an issue, I will fire each barrel at an added cost. As stated, these are current mil spec blanks---NO JUNK and have a satisfaction money back guarantee.
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

Has anyone here bought and run one of these barrels?
DrSmeller

Post by DrSmeller »

Well they sound like excellent barrels, well worth the $$$ - a deal really. I haven't heard of too many weapons blowing up due to a poorly made barrel. Other reasons yes but haven't heard "gosh, must have gotten hold of a bad barrel".

Best of luck with your new business.