Introductions (or one way to increase your post count).

Just about anything goes but no MG42 or MG34 talk.
xtal01

Introductions (or one way to increase your post count).

Post by xtal01 »

I appologize. I want to get into the "for sale" area of this site (found a few posts I want to read).

I then found I could not get there unless I make at least 10 posts.

I joined this site so I could find out about building an MG42. I don't have anything interesting to post or comment on because I am new here.

Hope I have not offended anyone by putting up 10 " junk" messages.

I guess I could tell you about myself.

See next post ... thanks ... Mike
xtal01

about me ... post 2 of 10

Post by xtal01 »

Hi again ....

Lived in Canada most of my life. Divorced twice.

Met a girl as a "pen pal" 12 years ago in SC. Sold eveything, paid off debts, got engaged, got green card and moved 800 miles south.

Happily married 11 years now.

Became a US citizen 4 years ago.

Wife has Muscular Dystrophy and is confined to an electric wheel chair.

She needs 24/7 care.

When not at work, I can be found around the house, usually in my work shop.

Next post ....
xtal01

more about me .... 3 of 10

Post by xtal01 »

I started out as a machinist, then went back to college and got a 3 year degree in mechanical engineering technology.

For 11 years we have lived in a small trailer at the back of a few acres of land I bough.

I have been using another trailer as a work shop.

I aquired a small (altas 6" x 20") metal lathe and also a harbor freight mini mill.

I repaired an welder that was given to me, so now I have a DC mig/tig unit.

We have started building an new house/shop in front of the trailer.

Nothing fancy, just a post frame building. Bottom floor will be shop and top will be house. I will build an elevator to get the wife up and down.

Next post ...
xtal01

more more more .... 4 of 10

Post by xtal01 »

I have been told I have verbal diarrhea .... I guess you got that by now.

So where was I ...

Building the new place. Very slow going. I could only borrow enough money to put up the shell. Now it is up to me to do the rest one piece at a time.

2 1/2 year now and not much done ... but still working on it.

It does make a great shop, even with only extension wires running out to it for temp. power.

I rebuilt the van's tranmission out there. I try to take on extra work and make a few extra $'s.

I build a few electrical control panels each year for differnt clients.

Next post ....
xtal01

5 of 10

Post by xtal01 »

I just bought a Bridgeport vertical mill and a cincinatti 12 1/2 x 42 lathe.

All I need now is power to run them.

Next post ...
xtal01

6 of 10

Post by xtal01 »

Running out of things to say ...

Guns!

First year down here in SC, my new wife bought me a pistol. At the time she worked for SLED (state law enforement division) in criminal records (she has since retired on disibilty as her disease progressed ... she is now almost a total quad and can not even feed herself).

Her father was a Captain in the state troops (36 years service).

Her brother is still a state trooper.

They keep me on the straight and narrow.

Next post...
xtal01

7 of 10

Post by xtal01 »

OK, guns ...

So I have a pistol.

I then got myself an SKS .... fun for $100.

After reading a lot on the internet, I got interested in building a gun.

As I had only a small shop I realized I would have to wait till I got a "real" shop.

I also realized if I wait till I get a shop, there may be no kits left.

So I have purchased an AK (actually two kits) and also a 1919a4 kit in 308.

I now want to get one more kit, an MG42 to make a semi out of.

Next post ....
xtal01

8 of 10

Post by xtal01 »

And so I am here today.

I know also nothing about MG42's.

I bought a book but it just seemed to confuse me more.

There are MG42's, 42/59's, 1, 1A1, 1A2, 1A3, 2 and 3's.

I have just put up a post in the "build it yourself" area.

Looks like I may have waited too long to buy a kit. I explained what I found in my post and then asked advice ... if you have any, please look at my post there.

Next post .....
xtal01

9 of 10

Post by xtal01 »

And again ... here I am today.

Thanks for putting up with me ....

Next post ....
xtal01

WOW 10 of 10

Post by xtal01 »

10 posts!

Sorry I had to do this .... most likely nobody read all this anyway. Hope I did not upset anyone.

Thanks once again .......

Mike
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Post by 762x51 »

Hi Mike and welcome to the board!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - I read your post and it's good to see that things are working out for you after 2 "false" starts.
I'm in Greensboro, NC so give us a shout if you ever come up this way.

Regards,
Orin
"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
Skype ID: ACE1100
salt6
General
General
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by salt6 »

Ok guys, I moved this post and stickied it. This is a good way to increase your post count. Take a minute and introduce yourself.

Steve
Last edited by salt6 on Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
nlander

Post by nlander »

Welcome xtal01.
I live in Alaska, and don't say an igloo. Hate that crap. I liked your commentary and what the hell it got the job done. There's lots to learn here and this stuff is adiciting. People usually don't like my sarcasm so I'm done for now. But my wife loved it!!!!
Abwehr

Post by Abwehr »

Mike,

Hello and welcome to the Forum! I live in SC too; in the Spartanburg area! what area do yo live in? Man, this would be great if we were close together. I feel like the "lonesome cowboy" as there are VERY few belt fed guns in my area. The closest belt fed "junkies" to me are Orin and "BaseRigger". I have shot with BaseRigger (Browning 1919A4) once and had a Blast (pardon the pun).

Not knowing the area of SC you are in, are you aware of the State Shooting Ranges that are free for us to use? I have two near me; one is 15 min. and the other is 35 min. These ranges make it nice to go shooting anytime during daylight hours.
drooling idiot
General
General

Re: 8 of 10

Post by drooling idiot »

xtal01 wrote:And so I am here today.

I know also nothing about MG42's.

I bought a book but it just seemed to confuse me more.

Which book ?
and yes i took the time to read everything in this thread.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
xtal01

More about me!

Post by xtal01 »

HI!!!

Wow, someone actually read my entire post!

Great to hear from everyone. I won't make fun fo Alaska .... being from the North, I've heard all the joke .... althought I understand people making fun off thinkgs I did in the past ... snow mobiling (wind chill of -70), scuba diving under the ice, water skiing on Christmas day (had to chip the ice off the boad and around the dock .. center of the channel was still clear of ice)...

I now live in Lexington SC ... about a 1/2 hour from Columbia.

Dan said I need to get a book "Colletor Grade" (I have there books on the sten and bren) about the MG34/42. I was getting my info from several books I have ( the most accurate being a "Modern Machine-Guns" by Greenhill).

Dan said I was correct. His kit will build an MG2 (MG42 pre-45 converted to 308 in the 50's).

Off topic ...

I have a great (funny) story about shooting and my handicapped wife.

See next post ...
xtal01

Funny story .... but true!!!

Post by xtal01 »

I like to play ... just a big kid at heart.

My wife saw me shooting an old 22 in the back yard one day. She asked if she could shoot it. I said sure. She rolled her electric wheelchair up to the bench (as I said in an earlier post, she has MD and is almost a complete quad .. she had very little strength and can not even raise her arms high enough to feed herself now ... always getting weaker).

The front was resting on the bench and she took the stock in her hands. She could not raise her hands to the trigger. I told her to aim the gun and tell me when to pull the trigger.

She did this and loved it!

OK .... my mind kicks into gear. I go out and buy an 10/22. I remove the stock and make up one of my own. I keep the inside hollow and put a 24 volt solenoid in it and a pull to the trigger. I put a door bell button on the back of the stock and connect it to the batteries in her wheelchair. I made a mount out of PVC pipe to fit onto the chair.

Now the funny part ...

She was very proud of her new gun and wanted to go to a "real" range.

I took her to a local range. First I had to prove to the range that it was still a semi-auto gun. Once they where satified we went onto shooting.

She loved the gun. Had a great time. Then it happened .....

Once shell ejected, hit the wall and bounced down her shirt.

Not really knowing what happened and just feeling something very hot on her breast she let go of the gun and started pulling her shirt away from her chest over and over trying to shake the shell loose.

Each time she did this she hit the button and fired the gun! Lucky for me I made it so it would only go up and down, right and left about 15 degrees.

But there we were, her yelling "it's hot, it's hot" the gun firing every which way down range.

I simply pulled the plug on the gun, reach down and removed the shell.

OK, it was funnier if you where there, but we still get a smile telling that story. She still likes her toy.

See pictures attached.

Thanks ...... Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vulcan762

Post by vulcan762 »

Hi, Im Vulcan762 and Im a gunaholic.
drooling idiot
General
General

Re: More about me!

Post by drooling idiot »

xtal01 wrote: Dan said I need to get a book "Collector Grade" about the MG34/42.
I was getting my info from several books I have ( the most accurate being a "Modern Machine-Guns" by Greenhill).
Save your money on that book in my opinion that book mostly only good for historical information. if your looking for practical info , get the manuals from jbaum or ask questions here. Save your money on that book
I'll look into the other book as more information is better than less.

xtal01 wrote: Dan said I was correct. His kit will build an MG2 (MG42 pre-45 converted to 308 in the 50's).

All receivers are identical .
The MG2 designation means a feed tray and top cover that only work with 7.62 NATO. This isn't a bad thing but we need to make it clear you'll need a different tray and top cover to run 8MM.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
vulcan762

Post by vulcan762 »

I have been on the boards for years and started as FootLongCuban over on the FAL Files back when Chris owned it on turboNet. Still there but after building umpteen FALs and then hanging around to help newbies I moved on to AKs. I really like AKs. So many flavors and relatively inexpensive build.