Numbers of bayonet

kaputtzwagen

Numbers of bayonet

Post by kaputtzwagen »

So, the bayonet that I picked up at the antique mall needed so cleaning up("German bayonet w/scabbard"). I know, cleaning it makes it less than a antique, but it had a lot of crusted dirt and rust.

On the left side (screw heads visable on handle): 5587

Right side (smooth bolts, spring button to attach to rifle): AS . FA

Does anyone know the significance? I would post a pic, but I don't have a camera.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Numbers of bayonet

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

[(O)]
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
wiselitearms

Post by wiselitearms »

kaputtzwagen wrote:So, the bayonet that I picked up at the antique mall needed so cleaning up("German bayonet w/scabbard"). I know, cleaning it makes it less than a antique, but it had a lot of crusted dirt and rust.

On the left side (screw heads visable on handle): 5587

Right side (smooth bolts, spring button to attach to rifle): AS . FA

Does anyone know the significance? I would post a pic, but I don't have a camera.
I do a little studying/collecting of bayonets.
The markings you describe are Turkish.
In the last few years a LOT of bayonets for the various models of Turkish mauser rifles have been available for sale. Some bayonets are Turkish made and others are from other countries that have been re-worked in Turkish arsenals and were marked as you describe.

Richard C. Hamer
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

DA-he doesn't have a camera,would you settle for a drawing? :? ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Sure.. a drawing would actually help !
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
kaputtzwagen

Post by kaputtzwagen »

so I googled the phrase "turkish bayonet", and this link ima-usa.com has one the same shape and rifle attachment mechanism. I could try drawing it, but then I'd need a way to scan the picture in.

http://www.ima-usa.com/product_info.php/products_id/839

:thanks: So, if the number on say the one side was the # produced, what of the letters on the opposite?
noonxnoon

Post by noonxnoon »

can I crash this thread??

Since it seems some of you guys have knowledge of old bayonets as well...I got one.

On the picture you can see one side, but the other pictures of markings didn't make it out clear.

on the one side of the blade, it says "WEYERSBERG KIRSCHBAUM & CO SOLINGEN"

on the other side it was partially grinded out but you can see "TINO 1891" And a number L4699

The Tino part is the end of a word...but it was grinded out.

There appears to be some icon under the grind marks as well.

any insights? sorry for piggybacking on this thread!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wiselitearms

Post by wiselitearms »

noonxnoon wrote:can I crash this thread??

Since it seems some of you guys have knowledge of old bayonets as well...I got one.

On the picture you can see one side, but the other pictures of markings didn't make it out clear.

on the one side of the blade, it says "WEYERSBERG KIRSCHBAUM & CO SOLINGEN"

on the other side it was partially grinded out but you can see "TINO 1891" And a number L4699

The Tino part is the end of a word...but it was grinded out.

There appears to be some icon under the grind marks as well.

any insights? sorry for piggybacking on this thread!!
The bayonet pictured is for the M1891 Argentine rifle. These were made under contract to be delivered with the rifles that Argentina bought from Germany/Mauser.
When these were sold surplus by Argentina in the early 1960's Interams/Sam Cummins sold a quantity to another South American country that was involved with a "local" war. The political fallout of Argentine marked arms involved in that conflict led the Argentine Gov't to remove the crests/markings from future batches of surplus arms prior to export. That is why you see the evidence of grinding on your bayonet.

Richard C. Hamer
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

WOW thanks Rich excellent piece of history there I have several Bayos I may photo & post if you dont mind Identifiying & letting me know some info on them I started buying a bunch about 25-27 years ago I recently sold one @ a Crossroads show for $200.00 & later found out it was worth more :oops: oh well it was an uncut springfield/garrand bayonett with really clean wood grips they looked new & a scabard with it I won't be selling any more after that I thought I was getting a great deal as I think I paid $10-15.00 for it back then.

Oh well let me know if ya dont mind Identifiying them :?
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

My father has a sword bayonet [and rifle] from 1865,he bought it from Sam Cummings right off the boat ,I think in Alexandria,Va.He had met him when his ship was tied up at the same dock as one with a load for Sam.This was when he was first getting started. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
noonxnoon

Post by noonxnoon »

Thanks Richard for the info!

Some older and long dead relative purchased the bayonet in another country...but I do vaguely remember some explanation of why markings were ground out but didn't know.

makes sense now!

thanks again. The bayonet is really super fine quality...nice short sword as well...really put together solid
wiselitearms

Post by wiselitearms »

rocco1911 wrote:WOW thanks Rich excellent piece of history there I have several Bayos I may photo & post if you dont mind Identifiying & letting me know some info on them I started buying a bunch about 25-27 years ago I recently sold one @ a Crossroads show for $200.00 & later found out it was worth more :oops: oh well it was an uncut springfield/garrand bayonett with really clean wood grips they looked new & a scabard with it I won't be selling any more after that I thought I was getting a great deal as I think I paid $10-15.00 for it back then.

Oh well let me know if ya dont mind Identifiying them :?
If I know what they are I will certainly let you know.
Bayonets, military firearms and militaria are a long running interest of mine.

Richard C. Hamer
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

I will try & take some pics tonight & post them tomorrow Thanks Rich :)