Panzer calipers?

Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Panzer calipers?

Post by Bil »

I found these at one of those group antique shops.No idea other than what it says on the box and sale tag. No,didn't buy them.But I did get a nice WWI EK1. ---bil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Panzer calipers?

Post by 42rocker »

Interesting find. Looks like it would be used to take inside measurements and in has a limit of about 12.5 inches.
What parts on a tank would be measured a lot that are under 12.5 inches??

Later 42rocker
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

I suppose it could be for tracked artillery, but it's definitely not for a tank.

It's a caliper {schieblehre} for a guide {klauenfutter} which was typically on an artillery piece.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Also forgot to note that the smallest measurement that it can be used for is about 2 and 2/3 inches.

Later 42rocker
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I like the automatic translation feature on this site! :D I was going to look up that word,but i knew John would translate it before long! :lol: Thanks! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Taurus454
Feldwebel
Feldwebel

Post by Taurus454 »

I'm guessing it may have come from a German mobile shop truck. An article from the October 1943 issue of Ordnance Digest, published monthly by the Ordnance Department of the U.S. Army, describes the German mobile shop trucks and how certain features of these units compare with similar ones in use by our Army. Quotes from the article based on equipment captured in Africa state:

In the mobile machine shop truck, the hand tools were stored in recessed wooden drawers, similar to those in the electric repair truck. These hand tools included such types as pullers, valve refacers, body repair tools, punches, and wrenches. While the hand tools did not consist of a large variety of different classes of tools, they did include a large assortment within certain categories. As an example, expansion reamers covered sizes from 4 mm to 52 mm. In some cases extra sets of taps and dies were calibrated in inches rather than in millimeters.

An extract from a report from the North African Theater of Operations states ". . . of particular note are the quantities of precision instruments (gages, star gages, micrometers, etc.) which are made available as standard equipment (in German mobile shops), and the arrangement of all tools and parts drawers to provide fitting compartments for each type and kind of item. Also highly worthy of note are the chests provided for each type of weapon, containing special tools and small spare parts. Another thing that caught attention is the locked compartment for tools for the maintenance of the vehicle itself, providing fitted drawers for the tools and including spare spark plugs, fuzes, and other small emergency items . . ."

Lists of equipment and maintenance manuals were found in the electric repair truck and also in the machine shop truck. These lists are now being translated for further study.

In general, the pattern of the German mobile shop trucks follows that of the United States Army mobile shops.

Just a thought and I hope this helps!

Tom