French Renault tankette/carrier

Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

French Renault tankette/carrier

Post by Bil »

Hardly used.A little wear on reverse gear. ---bil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Re: French Renault tankette/carrier

Post by gdmoore28 »

Bil-

I'm sure I missed it somewhere -- where have you been taking these great pics? Wish they would let you get up close for interior shots, etc. . :(

GeeDeeEmm
" The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government . . . . When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I was at the E'Cole Milttaire in Paris last week,and wandered over to the Hotel Des Invalides.It is a hospital/retirement home for wounded French veterans.They have an excellant military museum,and Napoleon is buried there.Not actually buried,but in an elaborate crypt.I could have gotten interior shots,but flashes weren't allowed.This small carrier had retractable domes over the driver and gunners heads,with narrow vision slits.It was almost like wearing helmets.The gun pics were there also,I have some more mg pics if anyone would like them.The skull was in the catacombs of Pietrus et Marcelenius,deep under Rome.Very interesting place,dating from the early Christian era. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Good question “gdmoore28” I was wondering the same thing. Paris,,,, good time to be there “Bil” it is always fascinating (at least for me) to walk in the footsteps of two millennia of civilization, not to mention 68 years ago this month many of the weapons in our collections were being used in France.

The tomb of Napoleon must have been really outstanding he is truly one of western civilization’s greatest leaders. Were there lots of lines to this stuff or did you beat the tourist rush?

Did you stumble on many vestiges of the Roman era?
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Actually,it was pretty amazing-I traveled a lot there in the last few weeks,and went to some places that hadn't changed much since the First World War.It was VE day,and all the little villages each had the flowers and ribbons out.The memorials were mostly from the WWI era,and many of the small towns lost most of their men.I make fun of the French army in WWII,but you get a real insight into why they had no stomache for fighting when you walk through these little town cemetaties and see all of the young men that died.The soul of the country was lost,an entire generation.I will post some pics later that give you a better idea. As for the tourists,I didn't have much of a problem,the Eifel Tower and Notre Dame of course were crowded.As for Roman period sights,they were everywhere.I spent some time in Rome,but it was all underground in the catacombs.They were amazing,we were some of the first to see stuff that dated from the early Christian times.Gives you some perspective of how long we are on the planet,not long in the big picture. ---bil
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

The French empire lost (dead and missing) something like 1.2 - 1.4 million in WW1, and figure probably thrice that wounded, and good number of them would have been better off not living given the horrid lot inflicted upon them. Notwithstanding its prior existence, modern plastic surgery actually has its roots in trying to reconstruct the battered survivors of the Great War.

It sounds like a powerful sojourn traveling there during VE day, keep the pictures coming.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

There was actually a collection of plaster casts made of disfigured soldiers in the hospital,used to give them a crude sort of mask to wear.Also some of the prosthetic faces they used.I tried,but I could not bring myself to take any pictures of them.It seemed like sacrilage,they were really horribly disfigured.Considering where I had just been,it was surprisingly moving. ---bil