Original bakelite MG42 buttstocks

Anything MG42 related.
miles045

Original bakelite MG42 buttstocks

Post by miles045 »

Do repros exist, and if so how can I tell ?

a friend has three, all bakelite, each marked nvq (I think it is nvq anyway) 43, 44, 45 dates
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Original bakelite MG41 buttstocks

Post by JBaum »

I will presume you mean MG42 and not MG41......

On post war bakelite, the rear bolt has a flat area around the outside of the bolt head, molded into the bakelite. On wartime, there is no flat area. The grip lines going across the back, stop very close to the bolt head. See the pics below.

Also, look inside the cup. If I remember right, there's a part number stamped in there on the post war stocks, but not on the wartime ones.

Postwar stocks were sold in quantity just a few years ago. I have two myself, one of them is stamped nvq 43. I don't think they made wartime bakelite stocks much later than 43, as they broke too easily.
Attachments
Picture from a wartime manual above, picture from a post war manual below.
Picture from a wartime manual above, picture from a post war manual below.
Postwar.jpg
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Great info, John! I was always curious about the bakelite buttstock, since my MG-42 has a wooden one.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Some help please, took these photos last night then this post shows up, so lets post the two pics..
Please note on the bakelite stock its has a smooth ended release screw on bottom and the yugo has a slotted screw.. Also please note how dark the spring is on the yugo.. This is the only one that I have that is this dark... Any thoughts on whythis sprint is so dark??
And I did not see any markings on the bakelite stock (will look again tonight) the wood stock has the normal yugo S-111-23380 stock number on the side of it.
On the bakelite stock war time or after war time??

Later 42rocker
72dpibottombakestock.jpg
72dpisidebakestock.jpg
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

42rock wrote: On the bakelite stock war time or after war time??
Well, what does the buttplate look like.... big ring or not?

Dark buffer has been blued, shiny one has not been blued. No mystery there. Germans didn't blue the springs, as it can change the tension, so it must be someone's reblue.

cz2
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by cz2 »

A couple of pix from my collection of stuff,WWII bakelite butt,it's WaA 11 marked on front where it mounts to buffer. The inside has these markings, 12164 in an oval, a, ehe, and makers mark that looks like a stylized M with T2 in one side.
cz2
pts 003.jpg
Attachments
pts 004.jpg
All glory is fleeting.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

well, that one is real. :)

42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Hope that all had a nice Veteran's Day.. Thanks Vets!!!!

Dug thru the stuff and it seems looking at jbaum's pic's that I have the post war type.. The buttstock has the large flat area for the screw/bolt..

Interesting in that it only fits to a German buffer and has a "normal" screw/bolt head on the end. Where my wood jugo butt stocks all have a different type of screw/bolt head.. Hollowed out type of head..

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Please check out the pic in this gunbroker auction

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =146092532

owner states "Nasi stamp( not visible in pic eagle with codes)" , however has large circle area in buttplate.

Added stamp???

Later 42rocker
URAR1004
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by URAR1004 »

I'm needing a little help understanding what kind of Stocks I have. One is a Bakelite and one is Wood. They only work with German WWII buffers but have no markings. So, based on Jbaum's description, the Bakelite is a WWII right? Is the Wood one a WWII also, From what I've read some Wood stocks can be WWII but unmarked. Any knowledgeable opinions are very appreciated. Thank you

Last edited by URAR1004 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
URAR1004
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by URAR1004 »

I know this is a Post War Stock- Image

and I know my Bakelite stock doesn't look just like cz2's, but I do belive it's a WWII Bakelite stock Jbaum can you please confirm this? thanks
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

The one with the big ring is obviously post war - as you suspect.

The wire wrapping is something I've only seen on German wartime stocks, but it has obviously been painted and numbered after that, and the square nut inside has been changed to a hex nut.

The other bakelite one has a bigger screw head than usual, but the rest of it looks wartime too. Could be a different screw from a different manufacturer, or very late. I couldn't say for sure, but wartime would be my guess.

Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I also have one of the bakelite stocks with the removable rear plate.I am using it to try to make a conversion to use a full-length spring.Initial stage so far,but I think it will work. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
URAR1004
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: Original bakelite MG42 buttstocks

Post by URAR1004 »

jbaum wrote:The one with the big ring is obviously post war - as you suspect.

The wire wrapping is something I've only seen on German wartime stocks, but it has obviously been painted and numbered after that, and the square nut inside has been changed to a hex nut.

The other bakelite one has a bigger screw head than usual, but the rest of it looks wartime too. Could be a different screw from a different manufacturer, or very late. I couldn't say for sure, but wartime would be my guess.
jbaum, Thanks for your opinion!
mg42rip

Post by mg42rip »

I though the bakelite stocks with the differn't but mount on the backing plate similiar to the wood mounted ones where made by Rheinmetall for the MG74 after the war?
Countryboy77
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by Countryboy77 »

Does anyone know what type of stock this is?Come out of a familys estate a few years back and trying to identify this.I read many posts but there are no waffempts on the metal,the release latch is what ive seen on WWII wood and it is darker than any bakelite .It has a hex head bolt really staked on good that I havent tried to remove. It had a damaged area where the release popped a hole through and a cutout of a 1938 2 Mark coin cutout was shadowed and epoxyed in.Also what would the value be should I list it on Ebay or Gunbroker(have acciunts for both.Thanks.
Attachments
20181110_175845.jpg
20181110_180326.jpg
20181110_175852.jpg
20181110_180147.jpg
20181110_180219.jpg
20181110_180254.jpg
bakelitelove
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Re: Original bakelite MG42 buttstocks

Post by bakelitelove »

A few of these „cheap“ looking buttstocks appeared in the last years.
The release button seems to be good on this one. But at all i do not believe that these are original.
The material looks more like gfk instead of bakelite.
The inner metal on these is from a wooden stock, the backplate has the big screwhead (like wooden stocks) and is glued in.
Imho these are postwar repros.
Until the end of war all bakelite stocks had square nuts - not hex nuts.