German marked MG42 Dust Cover??

Anything MG42 related.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

German marked MG42 Dust Cover??

Post by 42rocker »

Has anyone seen a German marked mg42 dust cover??? I have several unmarked ones and several with the yugo number S-S114-24910 stamped on them.. But still looking for a German marked dust cover.. Anyone??? Did the Germans mark the dust cover????

Thanks

Later 42rocker
Dan@AngolaArmory

Re: German marked MG42 Dust Cover??

Post by Dan@AngolaArmory »

Well, the few I've examined (OK, hundreds) have been without any markings. Not a definitive answer, I know, but only my observations.
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Thanks Dan

Please everyone take a second or two and check your parts bin.. Has anyone ever seen a German marked dust cover..

What I'm doing is making a parts list and planning to post the parts list that the Germans marked that we know of.. I'll keep score on this one and as stated post results later..

Thanks for checking

Later 42rocker
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

The dust cover is stamped from thiing sheet metal and not Waffenamt marked, presumeably because it does not have pass any quality control examinations for dimensions and tolerances on the production line, unlike many parts that are milled or machined. Mine has no markings.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
David

Post by David »

No markings here and never seen any.
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Well I don’t know guys..... the dust cover I bought from Mitchell’s Mausers is stamped with “SS” runes and a totenkopf, it MUST be real :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously with Mg42 knowledge, I put full faith behind Dan and DA, no markings on mine either

Great idea for a website that lists these parts in detail 8)
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Prussia
Are you sure that you got that part from "Mitchell’s Mausers"... I thought that you said that you got a great deal on the SS marked one from a French guy...LOL Same guy with the much talked about Repro slab handles..
Thanks everyone for the input..

Later 42rocker
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Sure it was not one bil sold ya ...lol

:shock: Oh wait Im the one with the Stamps... :lol:

I can make them german if you like.... 8)
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

rocco1911
Stamp job ... Well lets just say that one of my clients married a German lady and during his Special Forces day's he collected a lot of German stuff... Including a lot of original wamp stamps and other stamps that came out of the plants... But thats another story.. No, I don't have the stamps in my area, the stamps are located with my clients brother over 1000 miles from here..

Really I'm going to be doing other parts also, so please help out when you can..

Later 42rocker
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

42rock wrote:rocco1911
Stamp job ... Well lets just say that one of my clients married a German lady and during his Special Forces day's he collected a lot of German stuff... Including a lot of original wamp stamps and other stamps that came out of the plants... But thats another story.. No, I don't have the stamps in my area, the stamps are located with my clients brother over 1000 miles from here..

Really I'm going to be doing other parts also, so please help out when you can..

Later 42rocker

Well if he has them there is a market for them thats for sure... :D
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Nah.. he couldn't have gotten it from Bil.

Bil stamps all his fake parts "Made in Germany" on the back.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Yes,I really got taken by the guy that made me the stamps-he had them in English! :lol: I tried to sell the stuff as rare parts from the English SS division,but no luck! A lot like my other investments-the Nazi gold bars and coins I got from some guy in Arizona,turned out to be chocolate with gold foil!! :( I also invested in Y2KY jelly,still have a lot of that left.Worst investment was in the iron-on tattoos-I am still paying off some of those lawsuits! :shock: Then some guy talked me into investing in 8MM ammo-even at 5 cents a round,when will I ever need 500,000 rounds?? I don't know what I will do with that stuff,I haven't even bothered to check the prices for a few years-the stuff is probably almost worthless by now! :( :( ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

I have one with a Waffen Amp:

I went threw my collection. I know I have more of them around someplace. I don't use them. I haven't got around to figuring out how to make one work yet. I will thou. If anyone has. Please send me a message.

Here is what I found:

10 of them with no markings
2 of them with S-S114-24910 also "2" in a box YUGO
1 with S-S114-24910 also "BK" in a box and 31213 roughly stamped in YUGO
1 with " 10 " in a diamond YUGO
1 with " BK " in a box YUGO
1 with " 34" in a Hexagon YUGO
I have one and only one with a very small and light Waffen Amp It looks like a 141 or a 147

I took some pics of it. I will post them tonight for your scrutiny
Spell check is down and I'm too lazy to get the dictionary
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Nice! Now I will have to do some digging,too.I have seen the cover used in SA,I will have to check how it was done.I think there was a thread on it here,but several years ago. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

German marked MG42 Dust Cover?? FOUND ONE

Post by 42rocker »

oakrodent
1st THANKS for going thru your stuff and posting what you have found..
Well we might have found one.. Does this dust cover look any different than the others??
"I have one and only one with a very small and light Waffen Amp It looks like a 141 or a 147"
Please pm or email or post a picture..

You also stated that you found the following 2 items:
1 with " 10 " in a diamond YUGO
1 with " 34" in a Hexagon YUGO

Are you sure that they are Yugo???? I ask this because I believe that the 34 in a hex might be a German marking??? Please where did you get the info as to that mark being Yugo??? Anyone info on the 10 in diamond??? Also I've seen a 17 in a diamond..

Also the BK in box or circle and the 2 in box seem to be yugo stamps.. I think that these stamps were used by the fellow that just took off the German marks... He scrubbed them clean then stamped the old BK and 2 marks (Boo).. Any thoughts on this... Anyone..Please...
I'll try to take photos of a lot of the marks that I've seen and post them on Monday or Tuesday 11/9/09 or 11/10/09. Please check back as I'll try to post it under German and Yugo marks and stampings..

Also saw a dust cover on gunbroker that the S-S114-24910 number looked like it had another stamp over it that looked like the G that was used by Gustloff WenkeSuhl Company in the early days.. But photo was not good enought to be sure.. Could have been my eyesight also..

As far as using one.. Check jbaum's German 42 manuals ask they are always talking about closing it to keep the weapon clean. I believe that you click it closed and when you draw back the bolt it popped open.. My guess.

Later 42rocker
cz2
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by cz2 »

Morning all,
Well guess I must have an oddity dust cover,the only one I have or ever looked at,by the way.It's marked 3 places on the outside and once inside! The outside marks are the following--
1-BK in a circle.
2-U inside a mark in the shape of a shot glass.
3-A small k in a circle,very small.
Inside mark looks like a k stamped over something,it's on top of the catch housing,opposite end from catch.
I'll try for a pix or two later,maybe a dwg. of marks as well.
And all I want is a NON Yugo cover,wonder what this is?
later,cz2.
All glory is fleeting.
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Here are the pics I hope you can see them
Attachments
DSCF0029.JPG
DSCF0028.JPG
DSCF0027.JPG
DSCF0026.JPG
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Here are the rest
Attachments
DSCF0032.JPG
DSCF0031.JPG
DSCF0030.JPG
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

oakrodent
Thanks for the pictures...
I went digging thru the mg42 bipods last night to find one.. Found the one, its a mix with one mg34 leg and other leg yugo with the rest of the yugo parts... Also the 34 leg (with the hole) you can see where the clip was welded to the side. Not spot welded.
The interesting part is on the 34 leg, on the thin metal rib on the outside of the leg it has a "G" that was used by Gustloff Wenke Suhl Company in the early days. Then on the flat side it has a 34 in a Hexagon.. This makes me think about the dust cover that you said was stamped "1 with " 34" in a Hexagon YUGO". Could that also be German??

Also a nice picture of the dust cover in place on a FA is on page 137 in jbaum HDv.241.. I guess that to get it to work on a semi with the bolt lugs ground off would require a special fix. Added metal to the dust cover snap, maybe??

Later 42rocker
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

I was up in the air on the 34 in a Hexagon. I called a friend of mine who I consider the expert on MG-34 and MG-42 markings. He said the 34 in a Hexagon is a German stamp. He usually sees them on MG-42 BPR feed trays and top covers that also have the PJ stamps. I hope this helps. I should have done more research on that stamp before I posted it.