AA Tripod with Bum Leg

Anything MG42 related.
Franz 1796
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

AA Tripod with Bum Leg

Post by Franz 1796 »

Anyone ever take apart the pivot mechanism on a post war AA Tripod leg? I have a tripod with one leg that does not lock in place. Haven't taken it apart yet so diagnose the problem, but wanted to see if it's been done before. If it can't be repaired, I guess I'll just use a strap to hold it in the extended position when in use.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: AA Tripod with Bum Leg

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Whatever it is, it CAN be fixed.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
bmwr12
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by bmwr12 »

Yes it is very easy. Are you having a problem with the height adjustment or the leg angle?
Franz 1796
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by Franz 1796 »

Leg angle is the problem. The lever that is used to move the leg and then holds the leg in the position you select does not lock the leg. The leg moves freely at all times. I'm assuming there's a flat spring of some sort in the mechanism but haven't taken it apart yet.
Pug42
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by Pug42 »

Hmmm... I had one of these and took it apart (very easily) to strip and repaint dark grey... but it proved imposssible to reassemble, and several of my reenacting colleagues had a go too. Eventually I gave it to a mate who works for a gun dealer and he made a special tool to hold the spring in its compressed state and in position during reassembly... so do-able but be warned!
David

Stimme aus dem sumpf
Franz 1796
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by Franz 1796 »

That's why I asked here first before I jumped in with both feet. If it's going to be a pain to repair, I will just strap the bad leg to the two good legs for support. Thanks.
Waffentag
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by Waffentag »

Help, I got one also with a bad leg. It is the height adjustment. One leg started slowly collapsing as I was shooting.

Anyone know how to fix it.

Pat
magnet69
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by magnet69 »

For a temporary fix, you could put some sort of adjustable pipe clamp around it and tighten when you get it adjusted to the desired level. I put 3 clamps on mine just for safety reasons when I attach my 1919a4 Full auto with 3 ammo can mount because of weight.
As my Uncle Fritz said: "Wenn ich rauche, ich sterbe. Wenn ich rauche nicht, ich sterbe. So ich rauche." In other words, Life's short, Just do it!
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

The AA tripod manual explains how to disassemble, assemble, and adjust the hinged part and the extension part of tripod legs.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Waffentag
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by Waffentag »

Problem solved, the lever clamp part that holds the telescoping leg has a cog wheel like nut that can be turned to tighten the tension. There is one lager hole that had what I thought was a detent button to allow one to tighten the cog wheel nut. I put my reading glasses on and discovered that it was a buggered screw. I was able to get it out, tighten the nut for tension, recut the screw head and put it back in.

Problem solved, although I like the pipe clamp idea for safety.

Pat