Are Buffer Assemblies Different?

Anything MG42 related.
dcdefend
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Are Buffer Assemblies Different?

Post by dcdefend »

Will an MG-42 buffer assembly and buttstock fit a MG-53 and vice a versa?

Thanks,

John
Michael J

Re: Are Buffer Assemblies Different?

Post by Michael J »

From what i have read, buffer to buttstock assemblies are different, not sure if they are interchangeable though.

however a m53 buffer+stock will fit a mg42 receiver, perhaps vice versa?

edit: actually here's a sticky on this, hope it helps you answer your question!
http://mg42.us/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1688
medved

Post by medved »

As far as I know my buddy says he used MG 42 buffer on his post sample 53. But that's only hear say. I know for sure a MG 3 buffer will work on a 42 as I have one on mine. Very handy. Allows you to take the stock off when using the MG 3 mount and take down the gun without taking it off the mount.
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

Pretty much all the buffers will fit the MG42 and M53 but an MG42 or M53 buffer won't fit an MG 3 or MG74 due to the longer recuperator housing which the buffer housing will hit. The MG3 and MG74 housings are relieved to clear the longer recuperator.
As far as I know all the buttstocks will interchange dependant on tolerances of course. The thread is the same on all of them.
Hope that answers the question.

Frank
longhorn109
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by longhorn109 »

A M53 buffer will fit an MG42 and vice versa BUT the stocks are NOT interchangeable. The stock on an M53 will sort of fit an MG42 buffer but the thread is not quite the same, same for the 42 stock on an M53 buffer. If you want pics I can take some of mine with the stocks and buffers swapped about.
The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.
LukeZ

Post by LukeZ »

If it is a semi WLA MG53 there is a extra piece welded on that hits on the back of the bolt to eject the spent cartridge during recoil.