MG42/53 Markings

Anything MG42 related.
Akira

Re: MG42/53 Markings

Post by Akira »

Well what ever it is it's real pretty,but I would have to say it looks alot like my M53.It's more than likly a kit bash from a couple of guns to make one full display model.

I would agree with Bil it's a nice one and you should be happy to have it,I know I would be. :photos:
Stephenrc45
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by Stephenrc45 »

Thank you for your comments.

I purchased it with the understanding it was a M53. It was only later when cleaning it I found the markings and came on this forum to try and explain them.

I admit, now with a little more info I find it odd how it got WaA marks on the receiver/shourd when these seem to be of post war production. Maybe that one will never be answered.

Thanks for everyone who is helping with my lack of understanding of these guns. Brens are more my known LMG.

It's a super gun all the same and I'm very proud of it.

I just picked up a 50 round belt and starter tap as well as a basket drum but I'm not sure what else I should buy for it.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Lafette,optics,ammo boxes,drum carriers,an mg 34 for when the 53 gets lonely-the list goes on and on.... :lol: These are worse than drugs. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Dont forget the list of manuals from Jbaum as well ..... 8)
Stephenrc45
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by Stephenrc45 »

I'd love a Lafette but I'm in even deeper unknown water there.

Did the Yugo's make one for the M53 and does it differ from the german ones much. I'm sure the price differs if they did make their own!

All the ones I've seen for sale have been quite a bit more than the gun its self was.

I will have to start searchin for MG42 vs M53 Lafette topics now!

Optics...Pah... I've seen how much they fetch!
Michael J

Post by Michael J »

Can't say from experience, but i think the m53 should fit a german ground lafette. I think the post-war ground lafettes may even be cheaper than a german marked one.

Anyone else able to chime in here?
longhorn109
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by longhorn109 »

Here you go a post war lafette http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lafette-MG-42-MG- ... 240%3A1318
I got mine from the same place and it was shipped out very quickly. Expect postage to be about £30 and the delivery man will hate you, if you get one you will know why. If you want post war drums give these people a go they do sell on ebay but they cost £3 more there http://www.saracenexports.co.uk/shop/sh ... =Magazines scroll down about 3/4 down the page to find it. I hope you did not pay more than £12 for the belt and starter tab as Ryton arms sells the belts for £8 and the starter for £4 inc postage. You are into your Brens I don't have one of those ....yet I keep thinking about getting one though. Here is a pic of my addiction , I mean collection
Attachments
IMG_4864.JPG
IMG_4011.JPG
IMG_3995.JPG
M53 17.JPG
The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Very nice-and I can see by the condition of things the girlfriend hasn't chucked you out yet for all the toys.Good show!! :D ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

Are all of them Deact's or are some of them Live guns..?
Stephenrc45
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by Stephenrc45 »

Thanks Longhorn, are those lafettes Yugo or newer german ones? I'm guessing if you got one they will fit the M53 without bother.

Cheers
longhorn109
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by longhorn109 »

they are the newer ones and the M53 fits lovely.

Bil the girlfriend still hates them with a passion. I had them all out on the floor a few days ago and even I had to admit it did look like a terrorist arms dump but a terrorist with great taste in guns ;)

They are all deactivated :(
Attachments
IMG_3293.JPG
The only thing that helps me maintain my slender grip on reality is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes.
Stephenrc45
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by Stephenrc45 »

How close are they to the yugo ones? What year where these made-ish?
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Nothing at all like the yugo ones.The yugo ones are called a lefette,they are a direct copy of the German ones.In fact,some of them ARE the German ones,repainted.Difs are the range plate and color.Sometime if you are lucky,under the yugo paint there are the German markings.The German ones go for much more.The one pictured above is a nice one to shoot with,but rates zero for WW II historic accuracy.Don't show up at a re-enactment with one! :lol: But for shooting,they are the one to get. ---bil
Akira

Post by Akira »

It's still nicer than the one I own,and now because of you and your wealth of knowledge I have the urge to remove all the paint from my tripod.....Aaarrgg!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stephenrc45
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by Stephenrc45 »

So how does one tell a Yogo range plate from any of the others?

I'm guessing the Yugo lefettes are teh same colour as thier basket drums?
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

I'm reviving this old thread, and bringing it back on track. The topic is primarily Yugoslav markings as indication of whether a part is German MG42 or Yugo M53 SARAC.

Having handled a number of MG42 and M53 kits, including excellent condition complete (including receiver parts) kits, matching numbers kits, MG42 kits w/o any Yugo markings, destroyed post sample kits, and more, here are my conclusions.

1. Yugos used German parts. A number of M53 kits included German made parts and assemblies. The recuperator assembly is a commonly found German (bpr) item found even in Yugo-make M53 kits. I will say that "I" have never encountered a German rear sight assembly or grip stick on a Yugo-made M53, but virtually every other part/ assembly I have.

2. Yugos used German receivers too. There is actually a good thread on this on a European forum, with some claiming co-marked (eg. marked "MG42" etc as well as "BK") were forgeries, and others rightfully (IMHO) citing it would make no sense to do so. The latter I believe is correct. I have a well marked 1943 BNZ with WaA that has been stamped with the ubiquitious "BK".

3. "BK" is an acceptance stamp, not an indicator of Yugo production. Based on the above, and other research/ discussions on other forums, it's clear that not all BK marked parts were made in Yugoslavia, but were in fact wartime German production. Thus BK is definitely not an indicator of where the part was made; thus I presume it is an acceptance, test, or property stamp.

One thing remaining to study is a "feeling" I have: that some late war German MG42s may not have the AA sight base installed. But that is a different subject and one the hive must dig into by examining specimens in greater detail.
FNG