Early MG42 Flash suppressor

Anything MG42 related.
fab
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Early MG42 Flash suppressor

Post by fab »

Hi,

Few weeks ago i looked for an early patent MG42 Flash hider...
here:
http://mg42.us/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7867&p=59818#p59818

i didn't find one :(

so i decidate to make one by my self :wnana:
just finish the rear outside and inside:)

so i will make one like this one

and perhaps one like this other one

because nobody helped me :dh:

:bnija: :wnana: :nana:
rocco1911

Re: Early MG42 Flash suppressor

Post by rocco1911 »

Nice job I never saw one of those Breaks before thanks for sharing that info interesting :)
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

God helps those that help themselves! It looks like you are doing a good job-I don't think it is a case of no-one helping,I think maybe no-one has the stuff you are looking for! Be sure to post pics when you are finished.The early stuff you seek will be hard to find-good luck! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Wow, now that is industrious, well done.
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
johnnymg
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by johnnymg »

how about welding a 4 rib up some, and just re-cutting the smaller 5th rib??

Just a thought

johnnymg
Blanksguy
General
General

Post by Blanksguy »

How about one like this one....

Regards, RichardS in MI.
Blanksguy2001@chartermi.net
Attachments
MG42-Muzzle-Brake-2.jpg
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by JBaum »

Fab - I suggest that you call your creation a recoil booster (which it is), and not a flash hider. A recoil booster is legal in all states..... a flash hider is not. You could market them as boosters and sell them to non-flash hider states. :)
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Changing the name will only fool the ignorant. IT IS STILL a flash hider, and that's its purpose. It is not ONLY a recoil booster. This piece performs BOTH functions, acting as the pressure boundary to form a chamber in front of the barrel for pressurized gas to accumulate and act upon the barrel (recoil booster) and act as a flash hider, designed specifically to shield the SHOOTER'S eyes from the flash, not the target's eyes. The one thing it is NOT is a FLASH SUPPRESSOR, which has ports designs to vent gases in a pattern such that the visible flash signature is reduced, making it a bit harder for the TARGET to determine the location of the shooter at a good distance away.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
fab
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by fab »

i wrote this topic only to explain what i would like to make,they are some nice pictures here, you could speak about technic and history.... but you speak about the law...
i thought it was a technical forum......

If some of you are interesting in my project, i will post the picture as soon i finish the flash hider,
concerning muzzle brakes i will have a look on how i can make them... have some hours to spend on this subject.

:search
David

Post by David »

That's impressive!
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

fab wrote:i wrote this topic only to explain what i would like to make,they are some nice pictures here, you could speak about technic and history.... but you speak about the law...
i thought it was a technical forum......

If some of you are interesting in my project, i will post the picture as soon i finish the flash hider,
concerning muzzle brakes i will have a look on how i can make them... have some hours to spend on this subject.

:search
Technical forum? It is that, and a whole bunch more. It's whatever those who post want it to be. I think you are mistaken if you think there is no interest in your project. Sometimes a thread will go off in an unexpected direction. Welcome to the internet. If the topic takes a turn in a direction you don't like, just make some comments about what you DO want to talk about. We'll follow suit. Hell... we've even talked about Bil's underpants on occasion (I have it on good authority that they are striped pink BTW, but the debate rages on..)
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
salt6
General
General

Post by salt6 »

fab wrote:Hi,

Few weeks ago i looked for an early patent MG42 Flash hider...
here:
http://mg42.us/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7867&p=59818#p59818

i didn't find one :(

so i decidate to make one by my self :wnana:
just finish the rear outside and inside:)

so i will make one like this one

and perhaps one like this other one

because nobody helped me :dh:

:bnija: :wnana: :nana:

I like it! :cheer:
Through many dangers, toils and snares
I have already come;
'Tis Grace that brought me safe thus far
and Grace will lead me home.

John Newton (1725-1807)

George Orwell

salt6
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Yes,fab-very nice.It is good to see someone actually making one of these,we see them in the Myrvang book,but being rare they are not found.You have actually made one!I also liked the cut-away you did with the new and old style barrel bearings.Keep up the good work!! :D ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
fjruple
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by fjruple »

Fab--

Your work looks great. I for one would like to see the muzzle brake.

--fjruple
drooling idiot
General
General

Post by drooling idiot »

Very nice work.
I'm sorry you feel no one wanted to helped you but I think its more a case of no one being able to help.

I hope after your done and have a good idea of the work involved you'd consider making these for the members here. I think there is a lot of interest.
"good , bad, .....I'm the man with the gun."

Its amazing anything works right around here with a bunch of
over-age juvenile delinquents running the place.
fab
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by fab »

drooling idiot wrote:Very nice work.
I'm sorry you feel no one wanted to helped you but I think its more a case of no one being able to help.

I hope after your done and have a good idea of the work involved you'd consider making these for the members here. I think there is a lot of interest.
Hi

i don't fell that, i was jocking :)
of course i know that if a member could help me he would have done :mrgreen:

concerning the idea to make some for the members which need one, of course it's possible. 5 would be available to be sale. the price is not known because i still have the Knurling , heat treatment, bluing and WaA punch set to pay...
but i think i could sell them $100.

Fab.
bergflak
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bergflak »

I am a little confused here! Both pictures of the originals show muzzle brakes. These are not flash hiders or recoil boosters, but brakes! Compare it with the muzzle break on the M109 Howitzer!
This construction would have no impact on the recoil of the barrel that cycles the gun, which is created by the internal recoil booster (and is more than sufficient!). As for the flash signature it will only change slightly, and not be "hidden".
The reason they experimented with these must have been the desire to ease up on the overall recoil of the gun. As the bullets pass the side-vents the pressure gases will push out forwards and sideways and press the gun forward, easing up on the recoil pressure of the gun-frame itself.
On the M109 the muzzle break reduces the recoil with 75%. Shooting without it will destroy the recoil system (and the gun) instantly. There is a "half-similar" system on the Thompson M28, with the Cutts compensator which had the vents on the upside only, forcing the barrel down while the recoil worked it upwards!
But these MG42 devices never saw full scale production, so the problems they caused must have been bigger than the problems they solved....
Mit freundlichen Grüße

Bergflak
www.bergflak.com
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

But they look so cool! ---bil
bergflak
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bergflak »

Of course they look cool Bil. My kids would love any new toy not in their current inventory/arsenal.......... :wnana:
But, seriously: it would be fun to hear if this construction indeed had anything going towards reduced recoil. Or if it clogs up with residues too fast.....
Mit freundlichen Grüße

Bergflak
www.bergflak.com
fab
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by fab »

machining is completed :mrgreen:

:bnija: :wnana: