WLA M53 range report

Anything MG42 related.
kpaintner
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

WLA M53 range report

Post by kpaintner »

Well I got it out to the range today despite the 17 degree weather and 20+ mile per hour winds. First I ran 25 rounds of Romanian...it ran right through all 25 rounds without a problem. Next I tried a 25 round belt of Yugo, it would fire one or two rounds and then not strip the next round. It would partially strip the round or jam the bullet down in the neck of the case. On examination, it appeared that the rounds stripped harder out of this belt than the first one. I removed the rounds and put them in the first belt. They still seemed to strip harder than the Romanian rounds. Could it be that the steel lacquer coated Romanian rounds slipped out of the belt easier? Any thoughts or ideas?

I will try and post some pictures.

Kevin
kpaintner
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Re: WLA M53 range report

Post by kpaintner »

100_4370.jpg
100_4369.jpg
kpaintner
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by kpaintner »

I was just testing posting pictures. Top picture is the gun with a brown stock that came from another parts kit that I had. The bottom one is of my son...anymore, he gets to do all the shooting and I supply the ammo!
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

Congrats on your M53…looks very nice!
Nice to see your boy enjoying shooting too BTW.

I have a WLA M53 also. Mine prefers the Romy surplus as well, I think it is due to the lacquer coating that works as sort of a lubricant. Sometimes too the belts can be an issue...the other belt may just need broke in more. I’ve heard sometimes the earlier wartime belts will work best in these guns also. Maybe try getting a wartime belt and try the Yugo ammo in that.

Your manual should mention also about belt sizing. On mine I went through all my belts and sized them as recommended, lubed them and loaded them. I run strictly Romy in my WLA M53 and save my 8mm Yugo ammo for my Mausers. I should note though that some folks here have had very good success running Yugo in there WLA M53’s.

IMHO, if this is the only issue…if it runs good with the Romy I’d just stick with that being that it is currently the most available surplus 8mm ammo. I might suggest too that you try taking a chamber brush and use it to clean and lube up your belts and then try the Yugo ammo again if you haven't already done so.
kpaintner
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by kpaintner »

Der Alder...thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing on the Romy ammo. I did read the belt sizing instructions in the included instructions, but if you do not have one of those machines, how do you do it? In regards to lubing belts, I made sure mine were all cleaned up and dry. How much lube on them? What kind of lube? Do I have to worry that if I lube them that the shell casing may get oil on it and cause pressure problems once it is chambered? I am going to stock up on Romy ammo. I have a lot of the Yugo, but I can run it in my 1919a4 and MG34.

Kevin
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

"Kpainter" cool M53, nothing says father-son time well spent like a day at the range with a beltfed :D

Good work, great advice Der alder........
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864
bmwr12
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by bmwr12 »

I have had good success with the Yugo ammo in my Wiselite M53. For the best results you need well lubed original WW2 belts. I am using 1970s Yugo ammo. I have not tried the 50' or 90's stuff in it.
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

kpaintner wrote:Der Alder...thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing on the Romy ammo. I did read the belt sizing instructions in the included instructions, but if you do not have one of those machines, how do you do it? In regards to lubing belts, I made sure mine were all cleaned up and dry. How much lube on them? What kind of lube? Do I have to worry that if I lube them that the shell casing may get oil on it and cause pressure problems once it is chambered? I am going to stock up on Romy ammo. I have a lot of the Yugo, but I can run it in my 1919a4 and MG34.

Kevin
I made my own belt sizer from an empty shell case using a metal rod in the opening as a handle to pull it through the links. Time consuming, but it works for me. I don't know how necessary it really is, but I did it anyway.

As for lube, most any gun oil will be fine. I just run an oiled chamber brush through the links and then wipe off the excess with a rag. Don't use WD-40 though as it can cause increased chamber pressure.
kpaintner
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by kpaintner »

Der Alder...again thanks for the tip. Your suggestion seems like an easy fix and I will try to lube the belts. Do you lube the top cover mechanisms?
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by JBaum »

If it moves and rubs, it gets lubed. Bolt, bolt rails, top cover parts, feed pawls.... it's a moving piece of machinery, it needs lubrication.

Do not oil the booster or barrel bushing though, it'll just burn on and be difficult to remove if you oil those.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
DDayDog

Post by DDayDog »

Excellent advice for me as well on the lubrication. This is my first belt fed weapon, so here's a REALLY Newb question: When I pull back on the charging handle there is quite an audible "clacking" sound - almost as loud and somewhat similar to cocking and/or dry firing one of my AKs or ARs - which seems to be coming from the bolt area; definitely not the charging handle itself. After charging it, I dry fired the weapon to test the trigger and safety - worked just fine. Also, after charging it (but before I dry fired it) I noticed that the firing pin was in a different postion than it was before I pulled back on the charging handle. Is that loud "clacking" sound normal for the inital charging of an M53/MG42? I've reviewed all the videos and posts I could find, but found no reference to this. WLA told me that they test fire (50 rounds - I think) all their weapons before shipping them out. I really don't want to bring this to the range and set it up if that sound is not normal and possibly discharge it prematurely or something else happening.

I am still waiting on an order of dummy rounds to come in so I can check it's loading function. I got my M53 about a month ago, but with the -30 degrees temps. outside I haven't been able to fire it myself yet. I did buy some 1950s vintage Yugo ammo which was the only non commerical 8mm Mauser ammo available locally that I could find - without placing a barge order from the lower 48. The ammo looked just fine despite it's age. I will let you all know how it works.

....and sorry if I didn't use correct terms, I am still learning how to speak M53/MG42.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

For Gods sake-just don't use the 'trunnion' word when refering to the camming piece!! You don't want to know what will happen!!! :shock: ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Does it make the load clack sound after the bolt moves about 1"? If it does that is the barrel moving back forward. The barrel moves to the rear until the rollers unlock in the TRUNNION.

I don't know why people insist on using WD40. The only thing it is good for is removing water. When you spay WD40 it washes away any oil that was there protecting the metal. After it dries it leaves a sticky substance behind. WD40 is not some miracle oil. Use the right stuff not WD40....Nuff Said!
Spell check is down and I'm too lazy to get the dictionary
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

DDayDog wrote:Excellent advice for me as well on the lubrication. This is my first belt fed weapon, so here's a REALLY Newb question: When I pull back on the charging handle there is quite an audible "clacking" sound - almost as loud and somewhat similar to cocking and/or dry firing one of my AKs or ARs - which seems to be coming from the bolt area; definitely not the charging handle itself. After charging it, I dry fired the weapon to test the trigger and safety - worked just fine. Also, after charging it (but before I dry fired it) I noticed that the firing pin was in a different postion than it was before I pulled back on the charging handle. Is that loud "clacking" sound normal for the inital charging of an M53/MG42? I've reviewed all the videos and posts I could find, but found no reference to this. WLA told me that they test fire (50 rounds - I think) all their weapons before shipping them out. I really don't want to bring this to the range and set it up if that sound is not normal and possibly discharge it prematurely or something else happening.

I am still waiting on an order of dummy rounds to come in so I can check it's loading function. I got my M53 about a month ago, but with the -30 degrees temps. outside I haven't been able to fire it myself yet. I did buy some 1950s vintage Yugo ammo which was the only non commerical 8mm Mauser ammo available locally that I could find - without placing a barge order from the lower 48. The ammo looked just fine despite it's age. I will let you all know how it works.

....and sorry if I didn't use correct terms, I am still learning how to speak M53/MG42.
The "clacking" you are hearing when you pull your charging handle back is the sound of the bolt unlocking. This is normal for a roller gun.
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

oakrodent wrote:
I don't know why people insist on using WD40. The only thing it is good for is removing water. When you spay WD40 it washes away any oil that was there protecting the metal. After it dries it leaves a sticky substance behind. WD40 is not some miracle oil. Use the right stuff not WD40....Nuff Said!
Yup, I agree. WD-40 is not actually a lube, it's for water displacement (WD). I hate to see people using it for gun oil. Besides, it turns gummy over time. That and in our case the WLA M53 manual specifically says not to use WD-40 for a belt lube because it will cause an increase in chamber pressures. WD-40 has no place on firearms IMO.
DDayDog

Post by DDayDog »

Der Alder wrote:
DDayDog wrote:Excellent advice for me as well on the lubrication. This is my first belt fed weapon, so here's a REALLY Newb question: When I pull back on the charging handle there is quite an audible "clacking" sound - almost as loud and somewhat similar to cocking and/or dry firing one of my AKs or ARs - which seems to be coming from the bolt area; definitely not the charging handle itself. After charging it, I dry fired the weapon to test the trigger and safety - worked just fine. Also, after charging it (but before I dry fired it) I noticed that the firing pin was in a different postion than it was before I pulled back on the charging handle. Is that loud "clacking" sound normal for the inital charging of an M53/MG42? I've reviewed all the videos and posts I could find, but found no reference to this. WLA told me that they test fire (50 rounds - I think) all their weapons before shipping them out. I really don't want to bring this to the range and set it up if that sound is not normal and possibly discharge it prematurely or something else happening.

The "clacking" you are hearing when you pull your charging handle back is the sound of the bolt unlocking. This is normal for a roller gun.

Great!!! Thanks for the info. guys!!! ...and I hate WD40 too. The only thing I've found it useful for is an attractant on lures when fishing for Salmon here in Alaska. It's NEVER touched any of my firearms.
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by bolex »

I coated my belts with Molycoat (dry film lubricant)and have had no problems so far. The belts were new 308 and I am using 8mm in them with no sizing. Just another option.
kpaintner
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by kpaintner »

Well I got back out to the range today. Lubed all my belts before loading them....I used Hornay One Shot case lube. I wanted to try it since it kind of dries. I loaded Romy and Yugo. Lubed all gun surfaces. Fired about 100 rounds...Romy ran with zero FF! Had 2 FF with the Yugo. Big improvedment with the Yugo. So it looks like I have a winner! :cheer:

Hopefully it will only get better as I get it broke in!! WLA has done a nice job! I sure am happy with this gun.
Der Alder
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by Der Alder »

Glad it's running great for you now.
Yeah, it should get even better as it breaks in more.
Aren't these things a hoot to shoot?
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

I think it looks great with the wood stock on it