belt loader mods

Anything MG42 related.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

belt loader mods

Post by TOM R »

ok has anyone done the hopper mods on the post war .308 belt loader so it will load 8mm??? :? come on ladies lets get on the ball here :D
Last edited by TOM R on Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

Sorry, still working on mod-ing a pkm belt loader to load 1919 belts and another to work like TNW's linker. Oh yeah and then there's the maxim belt loader Im messing with...
Smooth is Fast
BELTLEAD

Post by BELTLEAD »

The hopper mod wouldn't be that hard.It's just a matter of widening the hopper about 3/4" to the left.I used to have a Yugoslavian copy of the original WW2 German loader and my opinion is that the post-war German loader in .308 is a much stronger design.
nick1

I like the MG51 loader

Post by nick1 »

I put this on my mill and it was really easy to run . It now runs all calibers.
Attachments
mg51.JPG
mg51.JPG (1.05 MiB) Viewed 1869 times
mg51.jpg
mg51.jpg (94.34 KiB) Viewed 1869 times
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

nick thats great post the details of your mod, though most of us are talkin bout moddin the post war 308 loader hopper to load 8mm :D
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
BELTLEAD

Post by BELTLEAD »

MG51.Is that like the German WW2 MG151 20mm aircraft cannon?
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Post by 762x51 »

BELTLEAD wrote:MG51.Is that like the German WW2 MG151 20mm aircraft cannon?
MG51 was the Swiss MAXIM - Most will agree that of all the MAXIMS it was the best built in terms of build quality.
As Goldsmith said "The Swiss Watch of Maxims"

Orin
"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
Skype ID: ACE1100
nick1

Well.. . .

Post by nick1 »

The swiss made there loader to load 5.7 swiss. I was able to get mine from Switzerland for about 99 bucks then shipped stateside for another 70. The key was waiting on the form 6. I don'tk know if you need a form for this but you can risk sending one with out.

Then just a couple of swiped on the brideport mill. And the by 53 was extended to 8mm size. I can still load 308 too. The MG51 if I am not mistaken is the Swiss MG42. My cousin always complained halling it up the alps. Opa said become a rifleman instead of the MG team. Its kind of tricked out and is milled instead of stamped. Weighs a little more too if I remember.
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

Nick,

All the swiss maxim loaders Ive seen have been modified to load metal belts. Yours looks like it still has the 'belt opening rod' to open cloth belts. Did you find it this way or did you do this mod?

$99 +$70 shipping is still a good deal. I paid $350 for mine from Poland.

Do you still have a source for maxim loaders?

The one I have is so pretty (I like brass) that I just cant bring myself the carve on it (that and it looks sooooo much cooler with the maxim compared to the ugly but functional PKM belt loader), But if I could get one for less than $200 it would make a good loader to tinker with - I'm thinking interchangeable parts to load differently spaced belts...for different guns.
Smooth is Fast
nick1

It was a swiss guy forget the site.

Post by nick1 »

Here is the info from my paypal. It contains a feeder which makes the mg42 belt go accross the loader. It also comes with a nice hopper. WOuld you like me to take some more pics?

Original Transaction

Date Type Status Details Amount
Jun. 17, 2005 Payment To AUGUSTUS fine ANTIQUITIES Completed ... -$188.00 USD

Related Transaction
Date Type Status Details Amount
Jun. 17, 2005 Transfer From Credit Card Completed Details $188.00 USD

Name:
AUGUSTUS fine ANTIQUITIES
Email:
afa@magnet.ch
BELTLEAD

Post by BELTLEAD »

Nick,

Do you have a photo of the hopper for your Swiss loader?