assault drums

Anything MG42 related.
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

assault drums

Post by gunslingerdoc »

I have a couple of post war drums (actually WWII vintage but uglier paint) that I was playing with last night. You see my 42 kit from Dan arrived Friday. The feedtray has a 308 cartrigde block installed and it has the wings that look just right to hold a drum, but they're spaced a bit too close. I can 'attach' a drum only if I open the back cover and wedge one of the 'wings' under it. The rear 'wing' doesnt extend far enough to make it around to the back of the drum and attach where its supposed to.

Is this normal?

Is there a smaller drum designed to fit a smaller opening?

I realize the MG3 drums attach differently and uses a different feed tray/mounting system and the above feedtray is not a mod for an MG 3 drum.
Smooth is Fast
Daskraut
Oberst
Oberst

Post by Daskraut »

you have an 8mm drum which differs from the 3.08. when you find a STEEL drum for 3.08, let me know, I have been looking and have not found one yet. Also, the modern plastic jobbies require a new feed tray.
Never give a sucker an even break, unless that sucker can break you in even halves!
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

daskraut I thought you extended a 308 tray to fit the 8mm metal drum??

if anyone finds the drum to fit that post war 308 tray that is like findin the missing link between ape and humans :D
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

Now what's even weirder is my top cover is marked cof (to me this means its a WWII top cover) but one of the feed pawls (I think that's what it is) has an extension brazed on. So Im guessing its a WWII top cover that's been modified for .308....?

Since I plan on shooting 308 and 8mm (yes I love a challenge) I think Im just gunna get a replacement 8mm cover and feed tray from BRP - sound like a good plan? Or since this kit came with an aluminum stock maybe this should be my post war 308 gun and use the one hunts is working on 8mm.
Smooth is Fast
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

sounds like a plan :D
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Karbinator

Post by Karbinator »

gunslingerdoc wrote:Now what's even weirder is my top cover is marked cof (to me this means its a WWII top cover) but one of the feed pawls (I think that's what it is) has an extension brazed on. So Im guessing its a WWII top cover that's been modified for .308....?

Since I plan on shooting 308 and 8mm (yes I love a challenge) I think Im just gunna get a replacement 8mm cover and feed tray from BRP - sound like a good plan? Or since this kit came with an aluminum stock maybe this should be my post war 308 gun and use the one hunts is working on 8mm.
Angola Top cover says 'cof' on the top of it?
I've seen a spring lever repaired with braze from one of dans kits
Does the cover and tray mate together without the feed lever interfering?
With the cover down on the tray....is their a distance gap behind the tray like say 3/8" (profile view/ drum side).
Just asking, cause I've been down this confusing road many a time. I think I got it all figured out.

Best thing to insure shooting both, is to order 8mm top, tray, and booster assemb. Brp had a good deal on the 1st two items. Get'em before
everyone wipes them out. This would be a first for dan having sent 8mm covers out....... I did read somewhere the other day that dan sent a 8Tray out in a kit . guess it was luck !!
Daskraut
Oberst
Oberst

Post by Daskraut »

Tom, I hacked the arms off a 3.08 tray and welded them to an 8MM tray
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by TOM R »

daskraut knew it was somethin like that post a pic here or a link to the pic in the other topic :D

nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel