Set screw fixed trigger slap...TILL I BROKE IT!

Anything MG42 related.
ScottD
Major
Major

Set screw fixed trigger slap...TILL I BROKE IT!

Post by ScottD »

I braved the 15 degree weather today and took the 42 out to the range....quick trip, belt of 40 rounds (and 2 other guns). So there I was chugging along, all happy that my set screw idea fixed my horrendous trigger slap. Wow, this is fun....then she stop resetting the hammer. After several hand charging cycles, I opened her up and saw that my disconnector was ....MISSING.....DOH! :cry:

Appearantly the disconnector was taking all the brunt of the hammer smack and just shattered at the pin axis. Looks like I need to find some way of tweaking it. Shave a little here, little there...Ill get it right sooner or later. Somebody explain the other ways of fixing this prob please. Pics would be nice. I remember something about a dowel limiting travel....???

No, Im not going to a FAL grip. Too much money tied up in this grip to just give up on it.
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
Pirate
General
General

Re: Set screw fixed trigger slap...TILL I BROKE IT!

Post by Pirate »

you have a clearance problem. the hammer is riding on the bottom of the bolt carrier to much. you need to fix that.
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

I have ground so much off the bolt and hammer that Im afraid to go any further. How much do I have to take off? As it is, Ive already removed the entire raised face of the hammer.....how much can I take off until it doesnt have enough driving mass to pop the primers?
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Are you using the PBB grip? You can lower it a little with the front mount.You may also have to take a little off the bottom of the bolt.It doesn't take much... ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Pirate
General
General

Post by Pirate »

ScottD wrote:I have ground so much off the bolt and hammer that Im afraid to go any further. How much do I have to take off? As it is, Ive already removed the entire raised face of the hammer.....how much can I take off until it doesnt have enough driving mass to pop the primers?
If you are smashing the fcg parts obviously something isn't right. the hammer is to close to the bolt. you need to get your clearances right.
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Using the PBB grip. Looks like I gotta shim it up front. Im getting tired of ordering hammers and disconnectors! Shipping is killing me!
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Stop buying one at a time! Let us know when you get it working OK.Thanks. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

This bolt/trigger clearance issue has been a problem from day one. No feeding or extraction issues, no other problems, but the trigger group has been hell. Ive ground the bolt, ground the hammer, ground the bolt, the hammer, the bolt, the hammer, the bolt, etc.....I never thought to shim the trigger group down a little bit. Now that I think about it, it sure will be easier to shim in a 16th of an inch than it will be to take it off.....