Add another MG42 to the ranks!! PICS!

Anything MG42 related.
MauserMatt
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Add another MG42 to the ranks!! PICS!

Post by MauserMatt »

That's right! My MG42 is up and (mostly) running! Couldn't have done it without Conrad (MGW LLC)!! he did the fine tuning and got her running finally.... Bought the kit in the last Weaponeer group buy in 2005 and I can't believe it's done! WOO! :mrgreen:

On to the range report.

I think the biggest problem the gun has is the recoil spring. Cut down original springs are just not going to do it. I had to load single rounds in the feed tray to begin with and after a few rounds down the tube it started to feed the belts. But then I think the spring just weakened beyond it's usefulness. At the end of shooting it it wouldn't even load a single round placed on the feedtray... Need that new spring Conrad!! :mrgreen:

I was able to get a few 5 round bursts though. The charging handle seemed to wear in a little bit so it was slightly easier to rack it. But still needs plenty of testing to get 100%.

What I was extremely! disappointed about is I took the advice of the headspacing tutorial and bought some 8mm headspace gauges. Both of my 8mm barrels were out of spec to the bolthead. One was too long, the other too short. So I think I'm going to jump on one or two of those $50 WWII bolts from Interordnance and hope I get one that headspaces right.

What do you guys recommend to lube these things? Is CLP ok? Or does it need some kind of grease? I've heard ballistal??

Anyway, on to the pictures!!!
Attachments
First shot! Wearing a flak vest...
First shot! Wearing a flak vest...
Needs a finish put on it!!!
Needs a finish put on it!!!
Of course had to bring the 1919 out too!
Of course had to bring the 1919 out too!
Muzzle flash!
Muzzle flash!
~Matt
tomcatshaas
General
General

Re: Add another MG42 to the ranks!! PICS!

Post by tomcatshaas »

Congrats! I have been using Breakfree clp and lots of it for now untill I can find something better.

I am glad that headspace tutorial has help at least one person.

What finish are you going to do to it?

TC
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Congratulations on getting your project running!! Looks real good.I am hoping the new spring comes through soon,too. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
MauserMatt
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by MauserMatt »

The tutorial was a HUGE help Tom. I really appreciate it..

I wish there were some 7.62x51 gauges available though.. I was taking a chance with the 308 barrels, but i didn't see any excessive wear on the spent cases.. I did notice a small amount of cratering in the primers where the firing pin hit. But it didn't look like anything major.

Thanks for the compliments guys!!
~Matt
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Ok, your wearing a flak vest but no eye protection??

Seriously, its good to hear your workin the bugs out. Im buildin mine all by myself from a German 4 cut and holy crap is it givin me fits. Of course had I listened to everyone and sent it out to get welded I wouldnt be in this kind of shape....

I cant wait till I go to the range with mine for the first time. Ill be suprised if it even goes BANG. Ill be even happier if it goes BANG out of the business end!
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
MauserMatt
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by MauserMatt »

ScottD wrote:Ok, your wearing a flak vest but no eye protection??
Heh, I was waiting for that.. :mrgreen:

I set the safety glasses on the counter and walked right out without them..
~Matt
waffendude
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by waffendude »

it looks great ---there may a "breaking in" period ---maybe a hundred rounds or so --and then the action may work a little smoother-----as far as lube ---i use 10w30
great job
waffen :)
MGW LLC

Post by MGW LLC »

Muhahahhahaha......ITS ALLLLLIIIIIIIIIVE!

Don't worry guys, I'm perfecting those springs so ALL our babies can benefit!

The Flak jacket was because of me. I insisted that he be very very careful because of the existing cut-springs tendency to not properly chamber rounds 100%.
Nothing says careful like a flak jacket!

:mg: :rockon:
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

MGW-do you work on these as part of your business? It is nice to see another of these running-looks good! ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
MGW LLC

Post by MGW LLC »

Bil wrote:MGW-do you work on these as part of your business? It is nice to see another of these running-looks good! ---bil
I do the S/A MG42, MG34 receiver rewelds and will also install rails and fit the various semi auto parts to get them up and working for those who have already done the welding.
FN74

Post by FN74 »

Looks great matt! Now when you going to come out and reenact with us? ;)

Right up the road from you.... heck 4 of our members are near starke...lol!

Have a extra jeep mount for your 1919, or we can get you geared up for german either way....

Gonna kill commies (figure of speech) in the beginning of Nov in SC...

recon83rdbtn@yahoo.com