Who buys this junk?

Anything MG42 related.
ScottD
Major
Major

Who buys this junk?

Post by ScottD »

I know this isnt directly related to building a semi MG42, but I was hoping someone could shed some answers on this subject....maybe in a sacrastic fashion....

I was looking on Ebay for MG42 stuff and all I EVER find is this 1:6 scale minature stuff. Weapons, gear, helmets, torsos, hands, etc. GO look for yourself, there must be 25 different listings for 1:6 MG42 ammo cans and links and accessories. Now this leads me to believe that some very Adult people (probably men) are shelling out lots of money for, well, the lack of a better term, dolls.

Who collects these things and why? Sorry if anybody here does, but I just dont get it. :(
My soultion for everything "Get a bigger hammer or larger caliber!"
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Who buys this junk?

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

Apparently the new trend in doll collectables is the Dragon WWII fugure series. People have been starved for decades for cool WWII related toys, and now that most of those who want then are over 40, they now have money and are buying them. I have a a couple toy tanks for display and know of at least two other reencators who have a one of the 13" figures as part of their WWII display. You gotta admit, the detail of the items is good. Unfortunately, the auctions for REAL Mg-42 related items number far fewer than toys these days.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

I guess ONE or TWO (two at most!) as part of a collection is cool, but I just imagine some guy with his gun room lined with WWII dolls. Little creepy if you ask me.

I build scale armor (1:35) and have seen some of the large scale figure kits you can build, but heck, at least they are models that take EXTREME skill to build. Putting clothes on a doll and putting it up for display........not my cup of tea.

Its a damn shame that pretty soon that 1:6 scale stuff will be the ONLY MG42 stuff on Ebay if they get their way.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Hmm... I wonder if that's why TC hasn't invited me over... I'll bet his trophy room is lined with hundreds of WWII dollies... kinda like the Puppet Master. :shock:
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I know what you mean-most of the history magazines have ads for these-thet even have names,each one is differant,very detailed,and the catch-limited edition!How limited ,they don't say,but get them quick before they are all gone! :shock: These go for big bucks,and now the trend is to customize-i.e. mix and match-make your own unique German soldier.I also[not much time anymore] build 1/35 German armour,there is a lot of work and research in this.I guess if you have a pile of money and not much time,you could build a big collection of these large scale 'models'.I know that I havent got the time or money since I switched to the larger scale-1:1 :lol: I have stuck to the weapons,although I know of one guy here that has a 1:1 scale 'doll' to dress in uniforms :? {I won't mention his name,but his initials are DA} :lol:
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Re: the guys with extensive collections: the guys must have more testosterone than money.

The real thing costs lots of bucks nowadays, even small accessories can add into the thousands. Toys fill the need, without unfilling the wallet.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I was thinking of getting a 1:1 scale German soldier for display,but those guys are getting old,and boy can they eat! :lol: My uncle has a 'collection' of them,he is off visiting them now. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS wrote:Hmm... I wonder if that's why TC hasn't invited me over... I'll bet his trophy room is lined with hundreds of WWII dollies... kinda like the Puppet Master. :shock:

I just have one voodoo doll of DA that I stick pins into.

TC
PvtJoker

Post by PvtJoker »

:lol:
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

TC-the voodoo doll of DA must be broken-he still shows up here! :? To make it work,you will need a personal item he really likes-I would suggest that red dress of his! :lol: ---bil
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Mai Kung Fu is mo powahful than TC's Kung Fu.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

DARIVS ARCHITECTVS wrote:Mai Kung Fu is mo powahful than TC's Kung Fu.

Its good to see us finally lighten up around here. So many guys around here are all uber serious like. Lets talk about farts or boogers or sumthin..... :lol:
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Now thats more like it-Fart! ---bil :lol:
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

See, now we are getting along. Um, Ive got nothing to contribute other than this is my 100th post!

Id give you an update on my build but its at a friends house waiting on ONE small welding fix....3 weeks so far...argh!
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Congratulations on your 100th post. Booger. ---bil
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

I always found the dolls made good targets on a short range. Kinda like shooting 800 feet at only 100!
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Now that is just plain evil! I love it! :lol: ---bil
ScottD
Major
Major

Post by ScottD »

Oh cmon! How many of us didnt try and shoot GI Joe or plastic soldiers when we were kids.
smoggle

Post by smoggle »

I had to almost laugh during Toy Story when Sid taped the M-80 to the toy soldier. Brought back many memories. I think the summer of 79 my sand box had more firecracker paper than sand in it! "Fire in the hole"
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I just bought a bag of those plastic soldiers for the neighbor kids to shoot with their BB guns,showed them how to build little trenches and bunkers with poipsicle sticks-they loved it.Another neighbor said I was an 'evil man'. :lol: Ya gotta get to them young! ---bil