change 8mm to shoot 308?how.what?

Anything MG42 related.
eskimo joe

change 8mm to shoot 308?how.what?

Post by eskimo joe »

Guys: what do I need to but to change the 8mm configuration to shoot 308. Obviously a barrel. What else? What is a good price for an extra 8mm and 308 barrel and where can I get the stuff??? Do I need a booster, top cover, and or a new feed ramp assembly???????
EJ.
bolex
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Re: change 8mm to shoot 308?how.what?

Post by bolex »

This link has most of the answers to your questions:
http://www.panzer46.net/mg42board/viewt ... =39&t=2354

Those parts plus barrel, bolt (bolt head) and a 308 booster. Note the information on setting up the 308 cover for semi auto use.

Do a google search for suppliers of the parts. I used MG42 belt and came up with several. I have bought stuff from robertrtg with good sevice.
propos

Post by propos »

1. recoil booster. if your 8mm recoil booster has an opening of 11.5mm or so, try that before using a 9mm .308 recoil booster.
2. you need a .308 feed tray. Angola Armory was $10 each. Or an 8mm feed tray to which a filler block was added.
3. 308 top cover. no modification is needed. Dan at Angola had them.
4. no need for a new bolt head. The .308 and 8mm cartridge heads are essentially the same so there is not a need to change it. I don't know even if there is a specific bolt head for a .308.
5. other than a .308 barrel, that's all you need. Gunparts had the mg42 barrels for $100 IIRC. Generally in new condition.
6. Oh, one other thing... lots and lots of 7.62x51 Nato ammo. If you can find it.
striker754
Oberst
Oberst

Post by striker754 »

why you would want to change from 8mm to 308 is beyond me!
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

striker754 wrote:why you would want to change from 8mm to 308 is beyond me!

top 5 reasons to change from 8mm to .308.

1. because I can
2. did I mention I have a boat load of .308 ammo
3. its not corrosive
4. just to irritate striker
5. I have a boat load of .308

:D
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Please post picture of boat. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
PvtJoker

Post by PvtJoker »

propos wrote:1. recoil booster. if your 8mm recoil booster has an opening of 11.5mm or so, try that before using a 9mm .308 recoil booster...
When you say the recoil booster needs to be 11.5mm or so, are you talking about the hole in the recoil booster itself or in the nozzle that fits in it? (going by JBaum's English parts list diagram) I just want to make sure I'm measuring the right hole! :shock: :lol:
propos

Post by propos »

The hole in the recoil booster. Boy I wish I had a boatload of .308. I couldn't even fill up a rubber dingy with what I have.
BTW what has the greater capacity. A boatload or a sh*tload.