bolt bounce

Anything MG42 related.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

bolt bounce

Post by Bil »

This may have addressed elsewhere,but everything I have read on the MG42 mentions a problem called bolt bounce.they even added a part called the "recuperating back-up piece",or bolt catch.My question--were all 42s retro-fitted with this part? Is this something to watch out for? And what about a S.A. gun?Has this been discussed elsewhere ,and I've missed it? Thank you,and Merry Christmas to you all!---bil
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by DARIVS ARCHITECTVS »

The bolt catch does not really apply to the SA guns you guys are building. In a FA gun, the bolt catch adds its weight to the rear end of the wedge which forces the rollers into the barrel locking piece at the correct time such that the bolt will be guarateed to lock and stay locked into the barrel and not "bounce" back and unlock prior to the firing pin striking the primer. THe bolt catch is a piston like item that has a spring built onto it. So it acts like a miniature shock absorber and as it strikes the wedge, it compresses slightly, preventing it from bouncing off the camming wedge. That way, the force it applies by virtue of its mass is applied throughout that critical time where the bolt locks up.

In 1944, Mauser made the first bolt catch and they were issued to all MG-42's that could be reached in the field. Many bolts you buy today will not have it and most shooters use the postwar one made for the MG-3, which works just fine. They were issued not because the Germans suffered a huge rash of out of battery explosions, but because Mauser recognized that the current bolt design COULD suffer an infrequent OOB. With old and worn guns with mistmatched bolts and barrels that we shooters use today, the risks of not using a bolt catch are MUCH greater. Fielded German guns with matching parts did not have to worry about mixed parts being out of tolerance nearly as much as we do 65 years later. If you fire the gun, USE a bolt catch. It's safer.
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS
Knight's Armoury
gdmoore28
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by gdmoore28 »

Using John's parts list in english, which part are you referring to?
Karbinator

Post by Karbinator »

Hmm. it's not there. It would have resided inside the bolt carrier.
14 rests on top of it, and 10- the firing pin holder/ wedge- sits in front of it.
joshk98k

Post by joshk98k »

What do you call part #19? barrel guide? I think mine is in with the "flap" on the wrong side! I'll have to turn it around!

Thanks,
Josh
MGMike
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by MGMike »

Josh:

#19 is on the chart...it's just hiding in the listing behind #18. It's the Barrel Guide Bushing. The one's I have will only go in one way, the slots in the shroud nose piece and the lugs on the Bushing are not cut at 90 degree intervals. In any event, the "open" side has to face the slot in the shroud to get the barrel in and out :)

MikeD
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by JBaum »

The Barrel Guide is not shown in the diagram, but it is the front receiver part that the (#19) Barrel Guide Bushing goes into. The Bushing only fits into the Guide in one direction (as stated above), unless the Guide is loose and has rotated inside the receiver nose. If that is the case, the Guide is re-aligned, then welded in place. In the armorer's manaul I'm working on, it discusses the Guide being twisted and of difficulty getting the Barrel out since the slot in the Bushing isn't in the right place. The Guide is to be rotated back in place, then after the Barrel and Bushing are removed, the Guide gets tack welded to the Receiver.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
762x51
Oberst
Oberst

Post by 762x51 »

Here is a cut-a-way of the bolt showing the anti-bounce assembly (red piece with coil spring) in place.

Regards,
Orin
"It is well that war is so terrible -- lest we should grow too fond of it." Gen. R.E. Lee CSA
Skype ID: ACE1100
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

Thats what I like about this site.You ask a question,and you get 3 or 4 really good answers,pictures,drawings,and info on where to get even more! But you can't even get someone that speaks English at your local telephone company! ---bil
joshk98k

Post by joshk98k »

Thanks Guys. I guess mine is in correctly. I'll double check. I have no problem inserting or removing barrels.

:mrgreen:
Josh