Ok Im buying either an MG 34 or 42 - advise me

Anything MG42 related.
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Ok Im buying either an MG 34 or 42 - advise me

Post by gunslingerdoc »

Like it says Im getting a kit and have a few questions

1. Mg34 vs. Mg42? Looks like the 42 will be a less expensive build?
2. Receiver welders/ bolt/ internal mods - are there folks that will do this for a fee. Who are they and cost estimates? I have heard mixed reviews on C2 builder's welding - Im a shitty stick welder, but my gun buddy is getting a new mig so We may be able to weld it up ourselves.
3. Parts kit sources and recs. I see them all over the net, but which one is the best to use as starting platform. In other words, which is the best kit out there for a shitty welder (but master grinder- :wink: )? It looks like alleghany (sp?) aint the best choice.
4. I would like to shoot both 308 and 8mm - matches nicely with the SA 1919's I have. Again it looks like the mg42 is the best choice here.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my newbie questions. Ive build a lot of guns over the years (which also means Ive screwed up quite a few alng the way) and found it best to have good advice before plunging in. That I and I get tired of having to undo my own screw-up's - that's valuable blasting time!

Jim
Smooth is Fast
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

:welcome: think you want the 42 as you already pointed out why, it can be built and pretty inexpensivly, user huntsinmtns does top notch work and garuntees it, last prices were $89 for boltmods with new firing pin return shipped, grip mods are around $190+/- including ar parts and a working safty return shipped, he also does welding, I don't think he is taking on new work for now as he may need some minor surgery, though he is always willing to help and will sell you the mod parts to do it yourself plus explain how to do em

mine is getting tig welded am unsure if anyone is using a mig,

kits are dan at angola, though some like io but dan services and backs what he sells no questions asked, weaponeer is running a gb don't know who's they are but I think their dan's

forget aleg arsonal mine is from there and the rec is trash unless you piece it like me

probly better to get a 308 kit and look for the 8mm tray,booster and barrel

think you need the mg3 topcover to run m60 links anyway

hope this helps just my .02
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
gunslingerdoc
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by gunslingerdoc »

Thanks Tom. See you over at 1919a4 all the time.

What type of top cover/feed tray will I need to run nondisentegrating belts? While M-60 links would be fine, I'm imagining my linking monkeys (age 4, 5 and 7) getting izzy 1919 links mixed with m-60 links - lol what a mess. Of course the 5 yo can link faster than my shooting buddy that's 37!
Smooth is Fast
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

I believe all covers run the belts, trust me you can't mix up 1919 and m60 links, it is just some of us live in nazi states where belts are a no no :shock: , the little loaders would appriciate mg42 belts and m60 links over the 1919 ones as these require no effort to load :D
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel