What will happen when Romanian and Yugo 8mm ammo dryes up?

Anything MG42 related.
hakentt
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

What will happen when Romanian and Yugo 8mm ammo dryes up?

Post by hakentt »

Only US made 8mm ammo is sold in soft point which will not work with our MGs, what will happen when surplus stuff like romanian ammo dryes out? We will have to convert to .308 only then?
ChevyM14

Post by ChevyM14 »

S&B make FMJ ammo. If you dont want to run out of romanian yogo ammo, then buy as much as you can put in your house be for it dos.
tomcatshaas
General
General

Post by tomcatshaas »

roll your own I guess
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by JBaum »

Commercial 8mm Mauser ammo works in my MG... but it's so expensive that I've bought brass and a reloader and made my own. 44.5 grains of BLC-2 works great.. After doing that for a while, I simply converted to .308. It's only about 19 cents a shot by the case, and doesn't risk blowing up the MG with a split second hang fire. Semi auto is a lot more forgiving of bad ammo than full auto, but either way, it's not worth the chance to me.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
hcpookie
Hauptmann
Hauptmann

Post by hcpookie »

What is today's advice on surplus? I know at one time the BRP site had a whole list of "what not to shoot" and it basically said "the newer the better"... and I do recognize the mindset that says you don't feed your Sports Car a diet of economy-grade gasoline. HOWEVER... this ammunition was built to be shot, not stored in cans :)

Therefore, one must assume that, unless it is "for bolt actions only" like Turkish surplus, that this ammunition would be satisfactory for range plinking. Correct? Thus, I would assume "today's" ammunition supply, which is mainly 70's era sardine-canned in-the-box "fresh" would be adequate for perhaps 90% of our builds.