CRACKING BRP RECIEVERS READ THIS

Anything MG42 related.
Diesel45

Re: CRACKING BRP RECIEVERS READ THIS

Post by Diesel45 »

I have no dog in this but for what its worth I have read in German 42 manuals how to repair cracks that needed welding I recall it saying to not grind flush. I have always wondered if this was a strength issue or get them back out front thing.
TOM R
Field Marshal
Field Marshal
Anti-spam: Mg42

Post by TOM R »

this is an older topic but from what i recall the brp is/ was thin in this area when compared to an original reciever rear
Great men are born in fire, it is the privilege of lessor men to light the flame, no matter the cost

FOR M60 GOTO http://WWW.M60MG.COM
nra lifer
mvpa 31698
46 cj2a
54 m37
56 CJ3B U.S. Navy
t24/m29 weasel
Akira

Post by Akira »

So basicly what you all saying is stay away from BRP receivers and semi-autos?
Sorry for all the trouble you all are having,but it helps me out. :(
I was and do mean was looking at a Brp semi-auto Mg42,but after what I've read here never mind.
Thanks for the post it was very helpful,hope everything works out for you guys.
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

I am not sure if BRP has addressed this issue,the thread started a few years ago and they may be OK now.Maybe we will hear from one of the guys that has built on a BRP receiver lately,or bought one all done up. ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
rocco1911

Post by rocco1911 »

I have a friend that has one for several years & several rounds out of it runs great.

Its a Great gun & design & his is/was the original Semi 42 all others are Meier copies of his work

Cracking Ha I have a boat load of 42's cut up with toarches & re-welded they are just as strong as the originals so if a hairline crack would scare you get some panties cause these guns can handle a little weld & work just fine there stamped out War relics that if re-built correctly will run like rapped apes if you know what your doing

I would take a BRP any day 8)
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

So you are saying that you like them??? :lol: ---bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
Akira

Post by Akira »

So they fixed the porblems with these receivers,and I shouldn't worry about it and get one if I can?
I knew it was a older thread but I was hoping someone would awnser it and I was right the gurus of knowledge came to ease my confused :? mind on this subject :lol:

It's just a shame that I'm easly confused and destracted,oooh look shinny :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the insite Bil and rocco,thou the image of the grorillas will haunt me for a while :shock:
BRP CORP

Post by BRP CORP »

We addressed this problem in 3 ways:

1) Re-strike that part of the sheet metal prior to assembly to tighten the corner radius so there's more meat left once we make the charging handle cut

2) bigger bumps on the receiver

3) by using a thicker ratchet plate than the original we moved the charging handle cut further away from that area

There were only 20 semi autos we made that were too thin in that area back in 2003. The other 80 that were done in that batch were turned into dummy guns because it was easier to make new ones than retro-fit them. Many of those dummy guns were then made into semi autos and C2 machineguns by other people.

We fixed and upgraded many of the ones we sold as semi autos by welding the length of the charging slot and re-machining it. We also modified the charging handles so they didn't have to ride as deep into the receiver groove.
sc413

Re:

Post by sc413 »

TOM R wrote:we also weled inside and outlooks like it was machined too thin for the charging handle
they need to make them alittle stronger
Patsy57
Oberfeldwebel
Oberfeldwebel

Post by Patsy57 »

Is this chronic for the receivers? I was planning on buying one so I'm curious. Please let us know

Thanks!
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

As far as I understand it Brian has done a lot on this since the above 2007 thru 2009 posts. If worried go to the brp website and get his phone number and call him personally and talk to him.

Later 42rocker