We are taking MG42 work, Limited and Picky. Pls read

Anything MG42 related.
Jaredrlewman
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter
Anti-spam: Mg42

We are taking MG42 work, Limited and Picky. Pls read

Post by Jaredrlewman »

For those of you who don't know who I am, I am the crazy guy that made the MG42 shoot 762x39. That project was a 5 year R&D project and a thorough grasp on the 42. Since we started selling the 762x39 kits our MG42 work has spiked. Anyway, we have decided to open up to taking some MG42 builds and repairs but on a very selective basis. Below I will lay out the basic details of what we will and will-not work on etc. I will also put some photos of the most recent 42/53s we have built or rebuilt. I am sure Flemm or John or Tim will vouch for my existence etc. We do semi and auto builds. Fully licensed 07/02.

What I require for builds:
1.) We will only build on kits that have all the original receiver parts. If you dont have a back section, have shells, or a BRP receiver etc., I wont build your gun.
2.) If you want a semi auto build we only use the BRP gripstick and bolts. We will not use your home modified bolt or grip. I will not use a WL bolt or grip. The BRP stuff is the best to work with and we wont use anything else.
3.) You supply all the parts. I dont want to chase down a nose section, rivets, rails, or anything. I stay busy with our day to day operations and work, I just don't have the time to spend tracking down parts. You can ask me and I may have a good idea where YOU can get the parts.
4.) I do headspace new barrels.
5.) If you need a new barrel headspaced, send a ready to go barrel extension. Extensions with a barrel stub in them will not be used.
6.) If you want a post sample build, you must 100% be an 07 SOT, 100% have an approved F2, 100% have your company information engraved on the receiver, and 100% be current on your FFL/SOT.
7.) I need photos of your kit and the cuts before you send anything to me. Some kits are cut with grand canyon gaps or through the top of the rear buffer area etc. and I won't waste my time messing with them. If you have a saw cut, one of the older 4 cut MG42 kits, MG34.com M53 kit, or some of the Bowman Arms kits we will most likely be able to build it. Some of the Bowman kits have some wide gaps, so you have to watch what kit you buy.
8.) If you messed it up(or someone else did before you), it is expensive to fix. I just totally redid a post sample MG42 4 cut kit. I had to cut and grind all the old welds out and COMPLETELY rebuild it. That being said, I have saved some FUBAR kits. So while it might not be what you want to hear price wise, some stuff can be saved.
9.) I run a fulltime smith shop. I work on LOTS of guns. So time estimates are just that. If a 30 min Glock sight change comes in, we bang that out then get back to builds. I do my best to keep times reasonable but I wont kill myself to get it done yesterday. These guns take quite a bit of time to get done right, be patient. I will gladly give photos and status updates to you, so long as you aren't asking once a week. I have 100% returned jobs to guys that wanted to put a time monkey on my back. I also have a family and they come first.
10.) If your cuts are through the markings, tough. Chances are you are going to loose them by the time we weld up and smooth out the receiver. If you aren't ok with that, don't waste either of our times.
11.) I don't do bluing, just not a service we offer. If you want your gun built with no refinish, no problem. We do parkerizing and cerakote, most post sample guys don't care and the cerakote is easier to take care of then a blued gun.
12.) Sometimes a job is easier to quote in hand, like a FUBAR build etc. So if I ask you to send the gun for evaluation, I wont be charging you for the quote. If you choose to use us we do the work and send it back. Should you not, you will pay return shipping. I think that is more than fair.
13.) We warranty our work. If it breaks because something we did, we will fix it. If it breaks because you abused it, not so much. If you scratch the finish, tough luck. If you blow up a round in it because you don't understand the gun or how to headspace, I hope you are ok but I wont warranty it. Use common sense.

Repairs work details:
We have an original surplus German receiver inspection and repair jig. If you send me a gun and I send you a video of your banana on my jig, don't get upset with me(Cause WL damn sure did). WL guns have issues, a lot of issues. Like 14yr old girl off her meds and no daddy kind of issues. We have been able to work most issues in WL guns out, but you will likely continue to have issues pop up from failed parts etc. If you built a semi auto and used your home modified bolt/grip, I may or may not mess with it.
If you have a post sample or transferable that has issues, it will likely fall in the category of #12 above.
Like I said, I am a fulltime smith shop. Send me an email if you have any questions, I check the forums from time to time but email or call is faster.

863-four3zero-627zero
sales@(nospam)lewmanarmsmanufacturing.com

JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: We are taking MG42 work, Limited and Picky. Pls read

Post by JBaum »

That all sounds perfectly reasonable to me. :thumbs:
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

Jared is well respected. He’s a long time member on FAL Files. I spent some time speaking with him at KCR and he definitely knows the mg42.

Clearly what he knows is that the 42, despite claims, has specifications and won’t work if it’s out of spec.

New guys should read between the lines:
1. Don’t plan to buy two piece aftermarket receiver shells
2. Pay for the most complete, best cut receiver you can.

I will add though that some Bowman kits are not readily restored. I have one kit with torch cut gaps measuring 3/4”. Buying off GB and the internet is risky, too easy to make the kit look virtually saw cut. The only way to truly tell is if the kit has been deslagged and “assembled” on the recuperator. Pay extra for a quality kit.

I’m happy Jared is offering this service. He’s the only one who does and knows what they are doing.
FNG
Jaredrlewman
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Post by Jaredrlewman »

I noted in #7 that some of the Bowman kits have gap issues. I have one here now that had 1/2" gaps in the rear cut but the other cuts were fine. They literally use an oxy/acet torch to cut stuff(per photos from their FB page) so the gaps can be quite large and nasty. They can be fixed but its time and $. Much easier to get a known good kit. I have done 6+ of the MG34.com kits and inspected others of his at KCR, all seem to be basically the same cuts and relatively straight forward rebuilds. He also has the best price on them IMHO. $1000 for a complete receiver kit, its a decent price. No barrel but that is easily remedied by buying one of my 762x39 kits.. :D

One thing I didn't mention in the 1st post is about the nose sections. Some of the older German kits were not cut through the bushing, these can be saved and used. Most all of the kits available have been cut through the bushing, most through the bushing and a nice chunk of the foremost part of the shroud. On these we will not just replace your bushing. We require one of the RTG MG3 sections and we cut the whole nose off and graft the MG3 front on. There are several reasons for this but after seeing some of the new grafted in bushings from various places, I would rather just replace the nose. That and it adds a bunch of demil to the process when we can just saw cut the nose off, square it up, and tig on the new one.