Flash hider: German v. Yugo

Anything MG42 related.
Abominog
Major
Major

Flash hider: German v. Yugo

Post by Abominog »

Conventional wisdom right now is that FH with thin rings are German, and those with fat rings are Yugo.

I found one old thread that agreed with this, though note that "anything BK was made by Yugos" is now known to be untrue, since the Yugos restamped German parts. http://mg42.us/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1250 ... ngs#p90176

I'm having trouble buying into this "thin ring German, fat Yugo". I have too many FH from too many non-Yugo sources that are fat ring.

What I don't have (or, more correctly, haven't had time to confirm) is a fat ring FH that's German marked. That would be the proof.

Anyone?
FNG
Chuck42
Gefreiter
Gefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Flash hider: German v. Yugo

Post by Chuck42 »

Generally yugos have a very course knurling. Late ww2 mg42 have fatter rings usually the last ring near the end of the barrel is the fattest on late ww2 stuff. Also visually the smaller part of the cone on a yugo looks smaller around than a german but the inside of the yugo booster is larger allowing more air to escape also slowing the rate of fire. This means if you have a semi auto German 42 and you are overpowering your semi bolt it might help to use a yugo booster cone. At least at the range not to look at of course..lol jk

And yes many ww2 parts were inspected by sarac and stamped. I have a few demilled rear receivers late ww2 that have a few yugo inspection marks.
Chuck42
Gefreiter
Gefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Flash hider: German v. Yugo

Post by Chuck42 »

Some ww2 cones, one has pretty fat ribs with fine knurling probably late war. both marked pj also another one with the fat last ring late war. Also added a picture of a yugo cone with some of the differences I notice.
Attachments
M53-0016.jpg
M53-0016.jpg (28.54 KiB) Viewed 794 times
mgcone45.jpg
IMG_2876.JPG
IMG_2880.JPG
IMG_2881.JPG
IMG_2874.JPG