WTB. Great condition original MG42 Tripod

Anything MG42 related.
planejack777
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

WTB. Great condition original MG42 Tripod

Post by planejack777 »

Also looking to buy....a great Museum condition MG42 Tripod. I don’t want the reconditioned Yugo, but as great as I can find to have a nearly unupgradable original tripod. I pay a great price, for what I’m looking for!

Regards,
Jack
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: WTB. Great condition original MG42 Tripod

Post by JBaum »

Would it be correct to believe that what you want is actually a lafette, and not the tripod? They're two different things for the 42.
The lafette is a ground mount that can have a telescope mounted on it, it has a searching fire device and mounts the gun securely in place. The tripod is like a big telescope tripod with three skinny, extendable legs, that can hold the gun about 5 feet high, but has no scope mount on it, and the gun is hinged mounted on one axis. If you're not holding the gun, it doesn't stay level.

Can't say you want a wheel if it's a tire you're looking for :)

The picture at the top of this page shows 2 guys with an MG42 sitting on a lafette. There is no tripod in the picture.

Here's an MG34 on a tripod, legs extended. An MG42 tripod is the same thing, except for the head on top where the gun mounts. In this photo, the shirtless guy holding the tripod is going to get the crap burned out of him when the empty shells start ejecting onto his belly. Obviously this is a staged picture.
Attachments
Tripod.jpg
Tripod.jpg (43.21 KiB) Viewed 1185 times
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
planejack777
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by planejack777 »

Yes, you are correct, I’m looking for the “Tire”, er, uh....gulp...I mean. “Lafette” Mount.

Jack
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Jack
Is looking for a Lafette. Original German, no yugo parts, Great condition.
Jack knows his stuff, he and I have emailed several times over German items and I can say that is a good guy and has done a lot of research in this area.
Most of my Lafettes are not up to the Great condition part as I've bought and rebuilt most of my stuff.

Later 42rocker
planejack777
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by planejack777 »

Thank you 42rocker. It’s my fault, as I didn’t quite take my time in that postings composition...I quickly wrote what I was thinking....and not to the extent that would have been most clear....my mistake. This Forum is educated, and they “Schooled” me as to what I should have stated. As I get ready to retire, I thought now is a good time to cast that “Lure” into the pond to see if someone perhaps has a nice original that was purchased back when these things were not diluted with replacement parts, (Early 80’s maybe)...and no longer needs their collectible. I’m sure I’ll have to just settle for a nicer condition Yugo “Lafette”....but you never know! All the Yugo ones I’ve seen available now, and in the mid to late 90’s were pretty well used, as the one my friend purchased from IMA asking for “Select” condition....arrived with one of the welded folded leg attachments missing!

Jack
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Most people learn early on that anything from IMA is a crap shoot, and that paying for the "hand select" upgrade is dubious at best. I've bought nice stuff from there, and I've had a few items that were crap. It's just the way they are.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Jack
Don't settle for a yugo unless you want one. I have a complete yugo lafettle with yugo data plate in my collection. That said I've looked, worked on, and gathered, traded, and bought and sold in trying to build rebuild and obtain as close as I can German lafettes. So look on my friend. I'm sure that you will find what you want.

Later 42rocker