Mg42 wood stock ww2 german

Anything MG42 related.
schmisser
Stabsgefreiter
Stabsgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Mg42 wood stock ww2 german

Post by schmisser »

:wnana: I have wanted to know how the original stocks were made? I know 98k stocks were pressed out of pieces of beech wood and glued in a mold with red or white resin. I have never seen a mg 42 stock that was made in this fashion. I have not seen a oak made stock either. The most common made stock had a ivg44 mark with eagle. How many manufactuers made wood stocks? How many were made by other companies?
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mg42 wood stock ww2 german

Post by 42rocker »

Another area of interest to me. Anyone have any info, thoughts on this subject?
There were a few minor postings on a few things. Wire wrap 4 or 5 times, German / yugo. Slightly different in the top shape / shark vs dolphn.
And of course how they were made.

Later 42rocker
Chuck42
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Post by Chuck42 »

I think they were made with miters on a jig to guide them for consistency. Almost like a computorless cnc. Then finished out by handsanding. The differences come from the different factories that made them for WW2 each factory had its own unique shape.
Thats my guess.
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

I’m not sold on the number of wraps. I have German shaped stocks with more than six wraps. Ok maybe early yugo stocks were copies of the German shape. I doubt we will ever know.
FNG
Chuck42
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Post by Chuck42 »

Abominog wrote:I’m not sold on the number of wraps. I have German shaped stocks with more than six wraps. Ok maybe early yugo stocks were copies of the German shape. I doubt we will ever know.
Agreed, I had a supposed yugo stock with six wraps that had the solid german button and also had been reserialized from a 4 digit to a 5 digit number. I would not be surprised if the yugos reworked and rewrapped a lot of german stocks. I thought it was yugo though because of how crude the cuts in the back were its like someone had marked them out with a pencil and cut them with a hand saw. So I didnt believe it was world war 2 until I saw a ww2 photo with an mg that had those same crude cuts. I think those particular stocks were on late steyr guns.
Chuck42
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Post by Chuck42 »

Here's one I found that I know is WW2 that has six wraps that may have been re wrapped or original. Has what I can make out as hvq 43 with whats left of waffenamp.
Attachments
IMG_2854.JPG
IMG_2860.JPG
IMG_2871.JPG
IMG_2867.JPG
IMG_2866.JPG
IMG_2865.JPG
IMG_2873.JPG