RetiredBuilder
Gefreiter
Gefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG42 vs M53 ROF

Post by RetiredBuilder »

I was reading here today: http://9thss.com/wpnmg42.html

and saw this:

"The MG42 was adopted by a number of armed organizations after the war, and was copied or license-built as well. Yugoslavia license-built the MG42 as the M52, retaining the 7.92x57mm caliber. By doing so, the Yugoslavians retained the original weapon's design features, making the M52 a nearly exact copy of the German MG42. The only major difference is a slower rate of fire."

So what is different about the M53 that lowers the rate of fire? It doesn't appear to be bolt weight, thanks!
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MG42 vs M53 ROF

Post by JBaum »

Considering some of the other statements in the article that don't align with reality:
The MG42 was developed from the MG34? Really? I guess fast horses were developed from fast cows then. Obviously their designs are completely different (other than a recoiling barrel).
If the feed system for the M60 was copied from the MG42, why do you have to lift up the belt on the 60 to get it to run?
The MG42 was was matched to the newly-developed Lafette 42 tripod? That tripod was in use for the MG34 for 8 years. It just had the gun mount section (cradle) modified to hold the 42... adapting one part isn't exactly what I would call "newly-developed".
It "lent many design elements to the American M60", no actually it didn't, however there are some similarities between all open bolt, light MGs. The MG34 has similarities too, but it wasn't derived from the MG42 either - the point being that simply because one came first, it doesn't mean that being similar means it must have been copied from something else.

I don't think I'd believe the statement that the Yugo copy is slower than the MG42. Parts between the two have the same dimensions and weight. How they could come up with a different rate of fire is a mystery to me, unless they used different ammunition. I've heard them both running, and although my ears aren't rate of fire timers, I can certainly tell when one isn't running up to speed.

Don't believe everything you read, or you'll have to believe that the design of the American M60 is base on the MG42, as I've read many times, and heard repeated even more often (as recently as this week). The two are completely different, as anyone who has had both of them apart will tell you (rotating bolt vs. locking rollers, gas operated vs. recoil operated, etc.). Also speaking of incorrect statements in print, the MG34 rate of fire is NOT adjustable by unscrewing the flash hider (the American MG34 manual says that).

Internet wizards and YouTube stars are not always reliable, and just because somebody wrote it or has it in a book doesn't mean it's true. Of all the stuff I've read and translated about the MG42 and Yugo copy, this is the first I've heard of a rate of fire difference.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
RetiredBuilder
Gefreiter
Gefreiter

Post by RetiredBuilder »

JBaum wrote:Considering some of the other statements in the article that don't align with reality:
The MG42 was developed from the MG34? Really? I guess fast horses were developed from fast cows then. Obviously their designs are completely different (other than a recoiling barrel).
If the feed system for the M60 was copied from the MG42, why do you have to lift up the belt on the 60 to get it to run?
The MG42 was was matched to the newly-developed Lafette 42 tripod? That tripod was in use for the MG34 for 8 years. It just had the gun mount section (cradle) modified to hold the 42... adapting one part isn't exactly what I would call "newly-developed".
It "lent many design elements to the American M60", no actually it didn't, however there are some similarities between all open bolt, light MGs. The MG34 has similarities too, but it wasn't derived from the MG42 either - the point being that simply because one came first, it doesn't mean that being similar means it must have been copied from something else.

I don't think I'd believe the statement that the Yugo copy is slower than the MG42. Parts between the two have the same dimensions and weight. How they could come up with a different rate of fire is a mystery to me, unless they used different ammunition. I've heard them both running, and although my ears aren't rate of fire timers, I can certainly tell when one isn't running up to speed.

Don't believe everything you read, or you'll have to believe that the design of the American M60 is base on the MG42, as I've read many times, and heard repeated even more often (as recently as this week). The two are completely different, as anyone who has had both of them apart will tell you (rotating bolt vs. locking rollers, gas operated vs. recoil operated, etc.). Also speaking of incorrect statements in print, the MG34 rate of fire is NOT adjustable by unscrewing the flash hider (the American MG34 manual says that).

Internet wizards and YouTube stars are not always reliable, and just because somebody wrote it or has it in a book doesn't mean it's true. Of all the stuff I've read and translated about the MG42 and Yugo copy, this is the first I've heard of a rate of fire difference.
Thanks for setting that straight, it's hard for me to differentiate between reliable info this early on learning about the platform. I was trying to figure out in my head how if the feed cover, bolt, buffer system, etc are all pretty much the same how the ROF could be different, and i guess the answer is they aren't, which makes sense, thanks!
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

I'm with John on this one.....don't always believe what you read.

After seeing a number of M53 post 86 dealer samples running at shoots or demos I see no difference between them and the MG42 regarding rate of fire. There are variations between guns of the same type however so maybe the writer saw an especially slow M53? I had two MG42s at one time and running them with a PACT shot timer one would run at about 1100rpm while the other ran an average of 1350rpm with the same ammo and belts. The difference was something you can hear. I'm sure the M53 is the same as regards speed.

As for the M60 the feed system was based on the MG42 using the two step system of feeding the cartridge, partway on the recoil stroke and the other part on the firing stroke. That one part has given the reporting world license to claim the gun was based on the 42. . . as though they needed some reality to base their writings on. The feed on the 42 is substantially less jerky and more reliable than others that move the cartridge the whole distance in one stroke. This is true of the M60 as well though it has other problems.

Frank
oakrodent
Oberst
Oberst

Post by oakrodent »

Where did that guy get his info? A video game? It is hard finding any correct facts about any of the firearms ! Good for toilet paper if printed on something soft.
Spell check is down and I'm too lazy to get the dictionary
Bil
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Post by Bil »

To JBaum! Hello again! Did you ever get to use that heavier style bolt I had, and if so, how did it work? ...bil
"I dream of a world where I can buy alcohol,tobacco and firearms from the same drive-up window,and use them all on the way home from work!" Dogbert
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Bil, the bolt I got from you was an MG3 bolt with the spring loaded feed pin, but it was the same weight as the standard WWII bolts. I've seen 3 bolt weights, but I've never seen a buffer made to take the pounding from the heavier bolts. Without that, using a heavier than standard bolt is just asking for something bad to happen.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
SturmHead
Obergefreiter
Obergefreiter

Post by SturmHead »

Myself and another member here met yesterday to test different 7.62 ammo in our 42s. I changed mine over to pretty much a MG3 with barrel, flash hider/booster, bolt, feed tray, and top cover. He changed the barrel, and used a Yugo feed tray, top cover and small diameter booster. My gun sounded like a MG 34 or MAG 58. His gun sounded like a MG42 or a really loud zipper. ROF just depends on the parts used.