The Lafette wrench - What does it do?

Anything MG42 related.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

The Lafette wrench - What does it do?

Post by JBaum »

Attached are some pictures of 4 variations of the lafette wrench, and what the wrench is used for on the lafette. Since the lower part of the MG34 lafette is the same as the MG42 lafette, the wrench works the same for both.

The Norwegian wrenches aren't common anymore, but are easier to find and not as collectable as the German wrenches, so they aren't nearly as expensive. The German wrench often sells for $200 - $250, depending on condition.
Attachments
Four variations of the lafette wrench. On top is the Norwegian post-war wrench, made by the Norwegians for use with the surplus German equipment they got after the war. It is immediately recognizable by the large part numbers stamped in the side. The middle (WaA 127) and bottom wrenches are German war-time production. Each has a waffenamt stamping. The dot wrench has very faint WaA 142 stamp just to the right of the dot marking (easier to see by clicking on the picture to enlarge it).  The cnx wrench has a faint waffenamt just a little past halfway from the cnx to the 11, just a little below being in line with the first 1 in the number 11.  It is there, but only the right half remains visible,
Four variations of the lafette wrench. On top is the Norwegian post-war wrench, made by the Norwegians for use with the surplus German equipment they got after the war. It is immediately recognizable by the large part numbers stamped in the side. The middle (WaA 127) and bottom wrenches are German war-time production. Each has a waffenamt stamping. The dot wrench has very faint WaA 142 stamp just to the right of the dot marking (easier to see by clicking on the picture to enlarge it). The cnx wrench has a faint waffenamt just a little past halfway from the cnx to the 11, just a little below being in line with the first 1 in the number 11. It is there, but only the right half remains visible,
The arrows indicate the pin holes in the adjustment for the spring tension spring inside the cylinder.  This spring tension adjustment is used to control the amount of movement of the gun cradle, which is used to operate the searching fire device.
The arrows indicate the pin holes in the adjustment for the spring tension spring inside the cylinder. This spring tension adjustment is used to control the amount of movement of the gun cradle, which is used to operate the searching fire device.
The pin wrench is in place in the pin holes.  The two sides of the wrench have the pins oriented 90 degrees off from each other, allowing the adjustment to be made 1/4 of a turn at a time in the limited space.  Compare the top and middle wrenches showing the two sides in the first pic.
The pin wrench is in place in the pin holes. The two sides of the wrench have the pins oriented 90 degrees off from each other, allowing the adjustment to be made 1/4 of a turn at a time in the limited space. Compare the top and middle wrenches showing the two sides in the first pic.
This bolt looks like it goes straight into the telescopic sight base, but it is loosened to adjust the cradle finger which operates the searching fire device.
This bolt looks like it goes straight into the telescopic sight base, but it is loosened to adjust the cradle finger which operates the searching fire device.
The wrench fits on the telescopic sight adjusting bolts.
The wrench fits on the telescopic sight adjusting bolts.
The open end also fits on the adjusting screw for the finger which operates the searching fire device. A flat plate washer is bent straight, the finger is adjusted, and the washer is again bent over one of the flat sides of the bolt to lock it in place.
The open end also fits on the adjusting screw for the finger which operates the searching fire device. A flat plate washer is bent straight, the finger is adjusted, and the washer is again bent over one of the flat sides of the bolt to lock it in place.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Re: The Lafette wrench - What does it do?

Post by flemgunner »

Neat!
Tmiller
Unteroffizieranwärter
Unteroffizieranwärter

Post by Tmiller »

Thanks for the pictures and info!
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

OMG I could have used one of those! Never seen one in real life, where is the best place to find one?
FNG
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Abominog wrote:OMG I could have used one of those! Never seen one in real life, where is the best place to find one?
They are very rarely on ebay.com (once every year/year and a half?), and just as difficult to find at the big gunshows. By big, I mean such as Show of Shows in Louisville, KY. I see one there maybe every 2 or 3 years. It's a tough piece to find, especially without having moderate pitting from being buried for 70+ years.

I have a Norwegian lafette wrench for sale. I do not have a German one for sale.

Slashbike
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by Slashbike »

These are indispensable if you have a lafette!
Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

JBaum wrote: I have a Norwegian lafette wrench for sale. I do not have a German one for sale.

I saw that on your website. Will you bring it to KCR for me?
FNG
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

I put hi res pictures of it on my website. It isn't perfect, but its the only one I have left.

It's for sale to whoever pays for it first. I can take it to Knob Creek if you want to pick it up there.

John

Here's a link to an original German tool from Russia that's for sale. 60 euros will get it to the USA (about $75).

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Speziell-Schlus ... Swi8VZVf3k

JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

The Norwegian Lafette wrench I had for sale was not picked up at Knob Creek. It is still for sale at $75, US first class postage is included.

Abominog
Major
Major

Post by Abominog »

JBaum wrote:The Norwegian Lafette wrench I had for sale was not picked up at Knob Creek. It is still for sale at $75, US first class postage is included.
Both times I approached you you were burried in coversation and once the show got rolling I was so busy I couldn’t get away the tables! Sorry about that!

These wrenches are great on the Lafette. The open end is 11mm which fits the squared top bolts much better than a commercial wrench. And of course the pin end cannot be replaced by any commercial device. I’m working on a book on the disassembly and reassembly of the Lafette and highly recommend this wrench.

If you have a Lafette please buy this from John to help yourself and alleviate my guilt from not getting back to John!
FNG