Anything MG42 related.
GBMG421
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy
Anti-spam: Mg42

Correct MG42 lafette straps

Post by GBMG421 »

Hi Everybody

This is my first post on here, so looking forward to more interactions. I own a deact 1943 MG42 and am very pleased to also be the owner of a quite intact 1942 MG42 lafette, via the post-war Austrian army, complete with leather pads. However, I have been struggling to identify the correct leather carry straps for the lafette. Many of the the ones I see online are like this (http://www.ebay.ie/itm/MG42-53-LAFETTE- ... 3f6cc9aa44) which are almost like rucksack straps, and others are narrower, plain leather straps like this (http://www.brpguns.com/mg34-mg42-m53-la ... o-surplus/).

Can anyone on here advise which are the authentic straps to get for my lafette? I suspect the rucksack type ones are for the MG53 and the narrower ones are the real deal and were also used singly for carrying ammo cases.

Looking forward to your thoughts and feedback.

Regards

John
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Correct MG42 lafette straps

Post by 42rocker »

John
Can't offer a better info site on this. "MG 34 & 42 slings" topic by Bergflak, a good guy also.

http://www.bergflak.com/Mgrem.html

Welcome to the site and hope to see a lot of pics of your MG42 and its Lafette. Also on this site and Bergflak's site you will find a lot more info on the Lafette.

Later 42rocker
GBMG421
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by GBMG421 »

42rocker wrote:John
Can't offer a better info site on this. "MG 34 & 42 slings" topic by Bergflak, a good guy also.

http://www.bergflak.com/Mgrem.html
Thanks, actually already checked out Bergflak's site after having purchased my lafette. Some pics are attached - I understand it is an Austrian army one that was updated post WW2 (per Berflak's article info) with new paint over the original, but it appears evidence that the Austrians replaced the front mount and tool box is still speculative (?). I'm very pleased with what appears to be a very clean and original example. In Europe about the only lafettes on the market are ex-Yugo which appear to be mash-ups of various parts refurbished and with various modifications made with the result that many 'original' lafettes are anything but.

Would be grateful for any comments/feedback on my lafette :eureka:
Attachments
Lafette5.JPG
Lafette4.JPG
Lafette3.JPG
Lafette2.JPG
Lafette1.JPG
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

My thoughts are it looks nice. I personally like the upper release.
Review bergflak's info and you will learn a lot more about it. If you want to review the German manuals on it then check out John's great book line.
Should also add lots of mixed parts on the last two groups that came into the States. I got to see one of the lots. Group of 500 Lafettes. They were interesting. Still if you want or need one they look close and work.
Glad yours does not seem to have a lot of yugo stuff.

Later 42rocker
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Can I ask a favor of you???? You have a fsu marked rear cover. I hope that yours is original as you are stating and I'm hoping.. Could you Please review your Lafettes front leg looking for the fsu mark or the triangle with S323 in it. As I'm not sure if fsu marked the front leg or not or where you may or may not find a marking, but please look for it.
Here is a link to pics of where ecy marked theirs.
http://mg42.us/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13798

Thanks

Also when I looked at your well marked fsu rear cover I noticed what I think is a fsu mark on the (looking forward) front right side rear weapon mount hook.
Here is how mine looks.
rear mount 1.jpg
Should also note yours looks like one of the early Lafettes that was made for the MG42 only. Note the lack of an additional cut so it could have fit the MG34 Grip. Mine is a converted MG34 to MG42 Lafette, that is why you see the additional cut on the front.

Later 42rocker
GBMG421
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by GBMG421 »

Hi 42rocker

Great to get these detailed questions as it helps me find out more about my lafette. Please find pics of markings on the rear mount - looks good as is FSU. On the front leg the only marking (which took time to find) is a 'dar' at the very top.

Any comments/thoughts on this pls.

John
Lafette8.JPG
Lafette6.JPG
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Good to see the fsu marking. Thanks for sharing the dar marking on the front leg also.
dar is listed as Metallindustrie Schönebeck A.G.

Some time take the Lafette quiz or just review it.

http://mg42.us/viewtopic.php?f=24&p=97904#p97904

review the rear shock mount part and check yours our. pic if you will.

Later 42rocker
GBMG421
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by GBMG421 »

Hi 42rocker
Lafette11.JPG
Lafette10.JPG
Lafette9.JPG
According to the quiz thread, the rear shock mount looks good - pics of this and the front mount are attached. Does the front mount look okay to you also (it seems to have an Austrian mark)?
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

You found the BH12 Bird. It is listed on "bergflaks" website as an Austrian refurbish.

Your pics the front in the top pic looks correct for German. Shock support looks German MG42 style. Last pic just looks interesting.

Enjoy your Lafette.

Later 42rocker