Anything MG42 related.
NickD
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG42 - MG3 - M53 Build Help

Post by NickD »

Hello Everyone,

I know this may sound dumb, but does anyone have a link handy that shows a step by step build, and/or solid plans. I have found 1-2 here that seem great , and also a few posts seem to have pictures where photobucket is wanting $$$ for posting on 3rd party sites. I stumbled across a few that have great commentary, but do not have visible pictures.

I appreciate it! I also appreciate the site and everyone' s time they have put in to help so many people out with such a wonderful project and piece of history. :cross:
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MG42 - MG3 - M53 Build Help

Post by JBaum »

There are many variations for a build. What condition the kit you're starting with, what equipment you have for building, and what you want it to be when you're finished (MG42? MG3? hybrid? M53?, firing pin style, receiver style) are all variables that make a single build link unlikely to match what you have and what you want. You'll need to read several of them to decide how you want to do it, and most often, people pick the sections of someone else's post that they think will work best for them. There is no right or wrong, only the goal of making it what you want it to be.

It will take a few weeks, but reading them all is the best way to arm yourself with the knowledge of how to build what you want, in the way that's easiest for you.

We're all here to help if you get stuck or have specific questions.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
hakentt
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by hakentt »

I agree with Jbaum it all depends what parts you got.
NickD
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by NickD »

JBaum wrote:There are many variations for a build. What condition the kit you're starting with, what equipment you have for building, and what you want it to be when you're finished (MG42? MG3? hybrid? M53?, firing pin style, receiver style) are all variables that make a single build link unlikely to match what you have and what you want. You'll need to read several of them to decide how you want to do it, and most often, people pick the sections of someone else's post that they think will work best for them. There is no right or wrong, only the goal of making it what you want it to be.

It will take a few weeks, but reading them all is the best way to arm yourself with the knowledge of how to build what you want, in the way that's easiest for you.

We're all here to help if you get stuck or have specific questions.
Thank you for your reply. It is a complete M53. I plan on going with either a BRP or Global Machine receiver. I have a feeling I may be reading just as much, if not more that actually building the gun ha!!!

Thanks again for your input fellas!
hakentt
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by hakentt »

NickD wrote:It is a complete M53. I plan on going with either a BRP or Global Machine receiver.
If you have complete M53 then why bother buying separate receiver for it? :lol:
NickD
Oberstabsgefreiter
Oberstabsgefreiter

Post by NickD »

hakentt wrote:
NickD wrote:It is a complete M53. I plan on going with either a BRP or Global Machine receiver.
If you have complete M53 then why bother buying separate receiver for it? :lol:
LOL - ok, minus the rear receiver.
hakentt
Stabshauptmann
Stabshauptmann

Post by hakentt »

NickD wrote: LOL - ok, minus the rear receiver.
This is a good thread with working pictures, you pretty much need to do this

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13704

In my opinion these rear receiver only builds are a mess. You got to have some serious tools and skills.
APEXgunparts
Unteroffizier
Unteroffizier

Post by APEXgunparts »

The MG42 build tutorial on the "Project Guns" web site was a good resource at one time.
I do not know if Stan ever finished it!

http://www.projectguns.com/mg42.html

Richard
APEX Gun Parts
719-481-2050 Order Line
3105 North Stone Avenue
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
Mon-Fri 8am to 4pm MT
www.apexgunparts.com

LIKE us on Facebook!
https://www.facebook.com/ApexGunParts
NickD