Regards
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

Re: Mg42 Sm svq 1945 buttatock and feedtray

Post by JBaum »

Below are the pictures Tybie25 sent me.

It looks wartime to me. The post war bakelite stocks have a flat circular area around the rear plate bolt, and there is a part number stamped inside the metal cup that goes onto the buffer.

The rear buttplate of a wartime bakelite stock has grooves that go to the edge of the bolt hole. The rear of the wartime wartime bolt often has a waffenampt on it, but some don't. The same goes for the cup; some have a waffenamt, some don't.

I don't think anyone produced bakelite stocks but the Germans, so that makes this a wartime German stock, in my opinion.
Attachments
image3.JPG
image2.JPG
image1.JPG
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
basin
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by basin »

I thought these were mg74 stocks.
Every war time one I have seen has been Wa stamped as you said either on the cup or on the buttstock.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Most certainly there were bakelite stocks made for the MG34 and MG42, but there were a lot that were wood, too.

Every MG74 I've seen had a Steyer green plastic stock on it, and many have shown up in parts kits or as surplus. I can't prove or guarantee that this is or isn't a stock for any particular gun, or for that matter, made in any particular time period. The lack of a waffenamt stamp is not definitive proof that any part or weapon is not German wartime production. And as far as that goes, the presence of the stamp doesn't mean it isn't a fake stamp and it wasn't made post-war.

Later (post war/modern) bakelite stocks have a flattened ring around the bolt in the buttplate. The buttstock plate grooves don't stop at the bolt hole, they stop at the outer edge of the ring. They metal buttstock cup also has a part number stamped inside it. Wartime stock cups have no part number, and only some of them have a waffenamt.

I give it my best guess based on my experience and am always open to the opinions of others. It seems that anyone who claims to know it all is the one who is trying to sell something that's questionable. [diz]

I offer my opinion. You make up your own mind.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com