Belts, 50, 150, 250..????

Anything MG42 related.
Waffentag
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant
Anti-spam: Mg42

Belts, 50, 150, 250..????

Post by Waffentag »

So, are these HK21 belts for sale with RTG the same as MG3 belts?

Has anyone used the 150 or 250? Thoughts?

Pat
Waffentag
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Re: Belts, 50, 150, 250..????

Post by Waffentag »

Well, I ordered some more 50 round belts, a 100 round belt and a 150 from RTG. I also ordered the plastic 120 round can that clips not eh side of the 7.62 feed tray. Then I got their 10 ammo can special,

Will let you know how they are. The 250, just seemed too long?

Pat
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

The belts used in the HK21 are DM1 belts and the ones RTG is selling are also. No difference between them.
Standard length for field use belts are 50 rds and the segments of 50 can be linked together to make any multiple of 50rds. I have seen 100rd belts and 200rd belts which are used in vehicles and have run some through my guns over the years. 200 or 250rd belts are also frequently called "fortress" belts because they were used in that length in special ammo cans for fortresses in WWII.
As for the ammo boxes RTG sells I've not seen any for the HK 21 but they did have 50rd belt drums and 200 rd ammo boxes that clip onto the feed tray for the MG3. The HK 21 uses a special box attachment that is not compatible with the MG3 type. Those boxes tend to go for a lot of money while the MG3 boxes are much less.

Hope that helps

Frank
Waffentag
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by Waffentag »

Well, I got the RTG belts, the 50 rounders were like new, the 100, and 150 had a few links with a small amount of rust that clean up.

I measured the inside diameter of the belts and it seems tight? I have other belts that were inside a BW can that look differnent and have a larger diameter?

Are there any photos showing the difference between BW MG3, MG53 and MG42 belts?

Pat
amafrank
Major
Major

Post by amafrank »

There are huge differences in the MG53 belts. They are made from disintegrating links and are 50 cal. The MG53 is a US made commercial 50 cal built by colt.

The M53 is the Yugo copy of the WWII German MG42.

The M53 belts are identical to the German WWII 8mm belts but they have no markings on the attaching tab. The attaching tab ( the little piece that fits into the first link of the new belt) is square. On the German WWII belts the attaching tab is usually marked with a 3 letter code and a 2 digit date.
MG3 belts have a little finger on the attaching tab which makes it possible to join belt sections without having 3 hands. They are also known as "dogleg tabs" and can be seen from miles away. Right now centerfire systems is advertising M53 belts but they have MG3 belts pictured.

The original belt design is known as the Gurt 34 or belt model 1934. It has been modified a number of times. During the war there were some changes made due to various issues found in combat. Post war they also made some changes to adapt the belts to 308. The 8mm belts had some problems with 308 due to the difference in cartridge taper. The final model is known as the DM1 belt. The 308 belts are a bit loose on 8mm but will work. The 8mm belts are a bit tight on 308 but will work.....sometimes. All in all the belts are the same as they have been since 1934 and there is no special type for the M53 and MG42. They both used the Gurt 34/42 which is what the belts were called after the 42 came along and created a need for some more mods. Both guns will use the standard Gurt 34 however and so will the MG3 and HK21. Its just not as reliable in those two running 308. I had no issues running 8mm in WWII 8mm belts in my MG74 however which is a license built MG3 with a couple changes. If you're measuring belts with calipers you're wasting time. Either use the right belts for the cal which is easy to determine or use the wrong ones. ust look at the tabs. They'll both work.

Do yourself a big favor and buy a copy of Folke Myrvangs book on the MG34 and MG42. The universal machinegun. There are 2 editions out and both are still available and both are worth having. He talks about all the little details you've been asking about and more.

Frank
Waffentag
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Post by Waffentag »

Thanks Frank, I ordered the book that you recommended.

I ordered HK21 belts from RTG. They were in new condition. I guess at they should work fine. I will be shooting 7.62 mostly.

I had to remove the starter tabs and put them on the other end of the belt. I decided to turn a couple of 50 round belts into a 100 round belt. Once I got the hang of it, it was pretty easy to remove the little springs that hold the links together and reinstall them.

Pat,