To New Members

Anything MG42 related.
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator
Anti-spam: Mg42

To New Members

Post by JBaum »

We have a lot of traffic on here, but very few people need to leave messages anymore. We've pretty well mastered making the MG42 parts kit into a functional semi-auto rifle, so there really isn't much to say that's new, as we've covered it all very well.

Reading the existing messages will give you what you need to know, but if you are confused about any aspect of the project, leave a message.

Should you have a question/problem or are just curious, don't hesitate to ask. New messages are not plentiful by any means, as we are the type who entertain ourselves, we don't engage in mindless chatter.

When you need help, all the regulars who still visit here jump in to explain and diagnose. Chatter just isn't really our reason for being here.

John
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: To New Members

Post by 42rocker »

All that said and done WE LOVE PHOTOS of your kits, builds, range shots, all that cool stuff.
PLEASE Post away and share with us.

Later 42rocker
MarkoStefano
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by MarkoStefano »

Speaking of photos, since Photobucket is holding everyones pictures hostage, how can we get around it in order to make any use of the otherwise excellent build tutorials here on the forums? [(O)]
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

Any pictures that are missing on this site that you have, send them to me in an email (to John at Germanmanuals.com), and include a link to the message that it goes to. I'll put it in with the message it's supposed to go with.

Otherwise, upload the picture in the message, and don't host it on some other storage site that will eventually do what photobucket did.

42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 42rocker »

Well for about the last 5 years I've been working on reposting pics. With the latest photobucket crap we have lost more.
Time after Time I've asked folks to just post the pics to this site. I've emailed requested and about everything else. Look here is a great example on how to post pics on this site it's not hard.

http://mg42.us/viewtopic.php?f=103&t=8052

Later 42rocker
Philadelphia360
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by Philadelphia360 »

i am new to the sight and have had the mg bug for at least ten years now and i have finally pulled the trigger on a build. glad to be part of a great group of like minded individuals.
Triggersdad
Friendly New Guy
Friendly New Guy

Post by Triggersdad »

Ive got a 1943 MG42 full auto,It runs perfect on new 8mm 198gn ammo,But when it comes to 154gn Romanian steel.it wont cycle at all.Any idea why it wont?
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

MG42 and steel cartridges

Post by JBaum »

Do be careful with steel cased ammunition. It corrodes from the inside, can look just fine on the outside. It would be embarrassing to blow up your gun due to cheap ammo. I've seen the receivers get split just below the barrel extension, and barrel gates blown out and bent from blown steel cartridges. I've picked steel splinters out of a shooter's arm. Not pretty.

What's the year on the headstamp? The usual reason the gun doesn't cycle is friction and lack of powder in the cartridges. Friction isn't the problem, as it works with modern ammo, so that leave underpowered cartridges as most likely. If you're insistent on shooting questionable ammo, you could try putting in a slightly smaller nozzle in the booster to increase the recoil boost strength.

Do you have the parts to switch it to .308? I reload .308 to keep from buying new 8mm Mauser, as 8mm is expensive. The MG42 can be swapped to .308 and it fires just the same, without worrying about steel cartridges blowing out or wearing the chambers as fast.