MG42 Light Primer Strike Problem Found

Anything MG42 related.
Waffentag
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG42 Light Primer Strike Problem Found

Post by Waffentag »

I found that the charging handle was shaking loose causing the problem.

I tried two new handles and that did not fist the problem. As a filed fix, I used some tape to hold the handle in position. The MG fired great in both in 7.62 and 8mm!

Now, I need a permenant fix.

I need to take a closer look at the slot, may need to build it up?

Pat
Waffentag
Oberleutnant
Oberleutnant

Re: MG42 Light Primer Strike Problem Found

Post by Waffentag »

Gents, no reply here, So I contacted Bob N. from Vermont.

He provided some useful information on the fix to my light primer strike problem,

"If you look carefully at the end of the cocking handle guide spot welded to the side of the receiver, you will see that the end is not flat. It should have a slight relief which hooks the tip of the cocking handle claw. It this relief is not there, the handle will not lock forward sufficiently to keep it form vibrating loose and m owing back and stalling the bolt.
The relief is not deep but is deep enough to catch the claw.
Repair to deepen the relief cut is a ten minute job with a Dremel using a small cutoff wheel."
Then he added,
"The claw can be bent down slightly to improve its grip on the end of the handle guide. However, it must be done very carefully as bending it too much and the cantilever action of the T handle will not raise it enough to clear the end of the guide."

I bent the claw and did only a little on the relief with a small file. It is very tight now,

Pat
42rocker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MG42 Light Primer Strike Problem Found

Post by 42rocker »

Glad to hear you got a fix and then shared with the folks on this site.

Later 42rocker