Want to refinish my MG42. Options?

Anything MG42 related.
michaelkih
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter
Anti-spam: Mg42

Want to refinish my MG42. Options?

Post by michaelkih »

So I have a perfectly working 1945 C&R MG42, and it gobbles up ammo which is great. The only thing that bothers me is the finish on the gun. It was half ass reblued at some point in it's life, and it's far from perfect. It also has the usual pitting here and there on the gun, etc. In the end, since it's not original anyways, I'd like to get it refinished. What are my options?

I'd obviously love to get it blued like original, but I know the processes now are different. Plus with the pitting, and the fact that it looks like someone may have taken very very very fine steel wool to the receiver (With the sun angle just right, you can see lines all over it like an attempted polish), I'm not sure the blue will look nice at all, and am thinking something that may cover up more stuff may be better? if there is a way to do that without messing up the WaAs on the gun? I may be asking for too much.

Anyways, I just want the gun to overall look nicer, and as good as it runs. What are your thoughts and options that I may have?
michaelkih
Offizieranwärter
Offizieranwärter

Re: Want to refinish my MG42. Options?

Post by michaelkih »

This ad says this one was refinished. I think this looks great! What is this?
ScottishTerrier
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by ScottishTerrier »

I think getting it parkerized would look really cool. Bluing looks really nice and I'm sure you could find a competent gunsmith to do it, I just think the MG42 would look mean in black! 8) Not only that but parkerized finish is stronger than bluing.
www.Prussia.us
General
General

Post by www.Prussia.us »

Certainly park, or duracoat are strong, but given that it is a C&R, if it were myself, I would take the time to consider the hotblue process, or at the very least, if you have the time and patience, consider doing a rust blue (not toxic, MUCH nicer than any cold blue, and you can do it yourself).
“… corporations have been enthroned, and an era of corruption in high places will follow, … until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed.”

- Abraham Lincoln (Republican), Nov. 21, 1864