MG-42 parts kit??

Anything MG42 related.
dturner5185
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter
Anti-spam: Mg42

MG-42 parts kit??

Post by dturner5185 »

Hi I am new to the site and I joined to learn more about the mg42, I am considering buying/trade for a mg42 kit from someone. He wants 1600 for the kit but said he would take my auto ordnance m1a1 Thompson and m44 carbine plus 400 dollars, do you think that's a good deal? Here are some pics of the kit he sent me
Attachments
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png
dturner5185
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Re: MG-42 parts kit??

Post by dturner5185 »

Would most gunsmiths be able to assemble this for me? What price do you think that a gunsmith would ask to assemble this into a semi auto?
The guy that I might buy this kit from says that a gunsmith told him it would take maybe another 600 dollars to get to work in semi auto?
What do you all think?
anjongni
Oberstleutnant
Oberstleutnant

Post by anjongni »

Welcome to the site. It looks like your friend has a 100% welded, F/A Yugo clone receiver, and a parts kit with some of the semi-mods done and semi-parts included. He will certainly want to do the semi-mods to the receiver and sell it to you through an FFL to keep things on the up-n-up, since you didn't "manufacture" it.
Most "gunsmiths" I have met would be reluctant to build a weapon as formidable (powerful) as a semi-auto MG42 on a receiver that someone (unknown) had welded. He's not supposed to. Just too many possibilities.
So, that's why we build them ourselves.
That said...there's the receiver all welded up straight...the difficult, expensive part...and some of the semi components. Not a bad deal.
I would make sure that all the components fit INSIDE...the real test. You can do the rest yourself a little at a time, but it might cost slightly more than you've budgeted. Good luck!.....Phil
JBaum
Administrator
Administrator

Post by JBaum »

dturner5185 wrote:Would most gunsmiths be able to assemble this for me? What price do you think that a gunsmith would ask to assemble this into a semi auto?
The guy that I might buy this kit from says that a gunsmith told him it would take maybe another 600 dollars to get to work in semi auto?
What do you all think?
It would be my opinion that most gunsmiths wouldn't know enough about the semi 42 to attempt it, let alone attempt to make someone else's half done project work, no offense intended. When assembled by someone not knowledgeable about what they're doing, it can be a lot of work just to fix the mistakes so that the build can be continued to completion.
John@German<remove this>Manuals.com

http://www.GermanManuals.com
flemgunner
Brigadegeneral
Brigadegeneral

Post by flemgunner »

Im with the other guys. I dont know anyone "fixing" semis right now. Thats a BRP shell and Im willing to bet the buffer channel hasnt been cut along with some other stuff like the ratchet plate (or did I miss it?).
The Thompson kits at the creek were going for around 1300-1500 with receiver, so that deal wouldnt really be a great one. The two MG42 kits I found were complete cut receivers and both were 1600 each.
dturner5185
Hauptgefreiter
Hauptgefreiter

Post by dturner5185 »

Thanks for the replies guys!
I was thinking of using this company to finish off the gun http://cmparmory.com
anyone know anything about them?